Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Jul 30, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #1,637 of 3,218
Some shops in Singapore already received the shipment today, albeit in limited numbers.
I know Jaben SG already have 1 set for demo today

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #1,638 of 3,218
Hopefully we'll start seeing more impressions soon then...
(I still don't know why I'm following this thread since I'm not much into IEMs... but Oh Shure... :wink: I actually bought an SE215 last week just to see how it "fits" me... bought it without even looking into reviews or anything... we'll see...)

Jul 30, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #1,641 of 3,218
Quote:
well the first time I saw this low pass filter technology from Shure.  I immediately think about Bose wave guide system.  I believe these wave guide has been implement in many other earphone before.  Just that Shure make it more commercialize and try to deliver what most people like = bass.  For me, I'm not the bass head guy but rather soundstage and imaging guy.  That is why I'm waiting patiently to hear whether the changeable nozzle will make any different on the soundstage comparing to other high end UIEM like fitear or akg.

The Bose wave guide is a tuned pipe. Very different with them using the front of the driver and it's loaded backwave. It tends to make a lot of bass in a narrow range, not very audiophile. Shure's is effectively a bandpass encloser in principal similar to what JVC is doing on the FXZ-200 but with different tuning. They tend to be well damped and have a natural rolloff that happens long before the raw drivers output would outside of the encloser. It can be tuned to roll before 100hz without additional crossover. It's not a transmition line nor helmholtz resonantor etc.

Jul 30, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #1,642 of 3,218
Some shops in Singapore already received the shipment today, albeit in limited numbers.
I know Jaben SG already have 1 set for demo today

Just collected my set from Stereo today and the set looks *opened* and scotchtaped back, the shure olives looks used.. Trying to get an explanation from them.
Sound wise, wow, first impressions and the thing that caught me most was the mids. Sounded so natural and clean. No distortion of any sorts even on "badly recorded songs".. Definitely did well considering it was just out of the box when I tried it (or not)

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #1,643 of 3,218

Most of my impression are gonna be based and compared against the SE535 as it was the only pair which I had spent long enough time to be able to make a proper comparison. 

Sound stage: In terms of sound stage it definitely improved. Makes live performance more enjoyable.

Highs: Its definitely an improvement from the SE535. However I actually hoped for much better performance considering it now a quad driver.

Mids: As usual the smooth mids that Shure has as always had. Rather similar to the SE535. Something that has kept me a Shure fan till now. Being a vocalist myself, I really love to listen to the vocals a lot.

Bass: Definitely more bass and tighter too however if you are a great fan of the JH16 and love it for its bass, the SE846's bass is not gonna come close IMO.

All in all it a better version of the SE535 and in terms of overall performance its 1.5x of the SE535. Whether or not it justify its price tag depends on you. 

Hopefully it may improve after much burn in. Its my first impression and base on my own opinions. Feel free to share too :) Cheers

Jul 30, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #1,645 of 3,218

Most of my impression are gonna be based and compared against the SE535 as it was the only pair which I had spent long enough time to be able to make a proper comparison. 

Sound stage: In terms of sound stage it definitely improved. Makes live performance more enjoyable.

Highs: Its definitely an improvement from the SE535. However I actually hoped for much better performance considering it now a quad driver.

Mids: As usual the smooth mids that Shure has as always had. Rather similar to the SE535. Something that has kept me a Shure fan till now. Being a vocalist myself, I really love to listen to the vocals a lot.

Bass: Definitely more bass and tighter too however if you are a great fan of the JH16 and love it for its bass, the SE846's bass is not gonna come close IMO.

All in all it a better version of the SE535 and in terms of overall performance its 1.5x of the SE535. Whether or not it justify its price tag depends on you. 

Hopefully it may improve after much burn in. Its my first impression and base on my own opinions. Feel free to share too :) Cheers

The better question is have you tried with the brighter filter and did that improve the treble response.

Jul 30, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #1,646 of 3,218
Quote:
The better question is have you tried with the brighter filter and did that improve the treble response.

second that.  waiting impatiently to hear
ksc75smile.gif
 your impression

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #1,647 of 3,218
Quote:
second that.  waiting impatiently to hear
ksc75smile.gif
 your impression

Quote:

Sorry to the late reply ... only had a few hours with it before i went to sleep ... haha really tired from work ... gonna give the other two nozzle a shot and share my findings soon

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #1,648 of 3,218
Quote:
Is this with upgraded cables?

All comparisons are done with the stock cables just so to provide a more accurate impression for those who do not intend to upgrade their cable. Just in case you're curious about the sound with the upgrade cables i've tried. Its a Fiio RC-SE1. Bought it to replace my damage cables of the SE215. So yeah decided to try it with the 846. In terms of audible difference. It provides a slight improvement in terms of sound stage but really minimal compared to when i paired it to my se215. Guess you can't really expect much from cheaper upgrade cables such as this but for 50SGD i would say its a reasonable price to pay. Considering original cables cost more. Thus it would be a good option for replacement should it spoil. 

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #1,649 of 3,218
Quote:

The 535 you had was the normal version or the LTD?

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #1,650 of 3,218
Okok I just did my comparison between the the different nozzles and gonna share what I feel about the sound. Forgive me if i use the wrong definitions to describe the sound.

Shall begin with the bright nozzle. With this nozzle gives me a more forward highs. Which make instruments such as piano bells to have a nicer ring to it. In terms of vocals it definitely improves the sound. Especially for female voices. Guess its due to the fact that their voice are generally in the higher registry. Thus its sounds nicer. However it is definitely a better all rounder. As i listen a very large genre of songs from club mixes to musicals and classical. It changes the sound signature to something less rounded. Which imo i prefer while listening things such as A capella groups, to give a more full feel. However it works well if your genre you listen requires a more forward highs.

As for balance it generally performs well for all genre but doesn't score in any as compared to the bright or warm nozzle. But would be good for those to listen to everything.

Last but not least the warm nozzle. It gives a more round sound which while i feel makes genre such as gospel sound really nice. Which in my opinion made listening to songs from ultimate gospel by Elvis sound much nicer. Generally songs which the bright nozzle performs well in the warm doesn't.

For my personal use I actually prefer the balanced nozzle as i listen a wide variety of genre and i want to be able to enjoy everything. Instead of having certain genre better than others. However from my judgement i believe most of you guys would actually prefer the bright nozzle more. Ultimately you would need to try it out to really know what sounds best for your use. Let me know what you guys think about the various nozzles too. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back