Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
May 18, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #886 of 3,218
Quote:
FWIW, I posted the following in a different thread a few days ago:

Quote:
music_4321 said:
  1. The first batch of made-in-USA Westone UM3X had QC issues

1. The first batch of made-in-USA Westone UM3X-RC (removable cable) released a year later had QC issues

1. Fewer QC issues reported of the made-in-China Westone 3 & Westone 4 than the first batches of UM3X, UM3X-RC & UM2-RC

1. The $500 made-in-Japan Sony EX1000 housings have always had QC issues

1. The $200 made-in-Thailand Sony EX600 has never had any QC issues

1. The $1,000 made-in-Germany Sennheiser IE800 has an incredibly microphonic cable. The official specs stated a cable length of 120cm when in actual fact it's 12cm shorter (108cm)

1. The $400 made-in-China Sennheiser IE8 is one of the best IEMs QC-wise ever made

1. The $1,500 made-in-Germany HD800 hasn't exactly got the best build quality I've seen.

1. The $350 ($500 initially) made-in-France Earsonics SM3 has had some of the worst build quality I've seen in any IEM — coupled with CS that leaves a lot to be desired

1. No QC issues with my made-in-China MacBook Pro or 4G iPod Touch

Not to derail the thread again but:
http://www.geek.com/apple/macbook-pro-teardown-raises-quality-control-concern-1319163/

Quote:
The most concerning thing they found during the teardown was a lack of quality control. For a laptop that costs so much it was surprising to find a stripped screw securing the subwoofer enclosure, an unlocked ZIF socket connecting the IR sensor, and excessive thermal paste on the CPU and GPU.

^ that was a big issue with that batch of MacBook Pros

May 18, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #887 of 3,218
Quote:

Makers like Shure have their own people in Chinese factories to overlook things.
Quote:

Well that doesn't sound good at all.    

Why? It's a good thing that Shure employees will be overseeing the quality control and can be onsite to help with any questions that may come up.

May 18, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #888 of 3,218
Quote:
^ that was a big issue with that batch of MacBook Pros

Glad mine is a late 2011 model. Still, on the whole, most people know Apple products generally have excellent build and some of the best QC in the industry.

EDIT: Notice the, er, edit in my previous post, btw.

May 18, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #889 of 3,218
Quote:

EDIT: HOWEVER, Thay said, it's well documented the cable issues many people had with the SE530 and, though differently and fewer cases, there were also quite a few reported cases of issues with the SE535 & SE215 (swivel-type) connectors.

I've seen a lot of complaints about the SE-series and the swivel-type connectors. My brother has a SE215-CL, so maybe I'll ask him if I can borrow it and see for it myself.

May 18, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #890 of 3,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraguie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Why? It's a good thing that Shure employees will be overseeing the quality control and can be onsite to help with any questions that may come up.

overseeing [size=medium][/size] overlooking.  

May 19, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #891 of 3,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321

The first batch of made-in-USA Westone UM3X had QC issues

The first batch of made-in-USA Westone UM3X-RC (removable cable) released a year later had QC issues

Fewer QC issues reported of the made-in-China Westone 3 & Westone 4 than the first batches of UM3X, UM3X-RC & UM2-RC

The $500 made-in-Japan Sony EX1000 housings have always had QC issues

The $200 made-in-Thailand Sony EX600 has never had any QC issues

The $1,000 made-in-Germany Sennheiser IE800 has an incredibly microphonic cable. The official specs stated a cable length of 120cm when in actual fact it's 12cm shorter (108cm)

The $400 made-in-China Sennheiser IE8 is one of the best IEMs QC-wise ever made

The $1,500 made-in-Germany HD800 hasn't exactly got the best build quality I've seen.

The $350 ($500 initially) made-in-France Earsonics SM3 has had some of the worst build quality I've seen in any IEM — coupled with CS that leaves a lot to be desired

No QC issues with my made-in-China MacBook Pro or 4G iPod Touch

As a statistical sample, this is horrible lol. But in terms of awesomeness, it scores an 11 out of 10.

I inherently trust anything coming out of Thailand. If we're trusting them to make a large part of the world's condoms, I think a headphone should be of little relative concern.

May 19, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #892 of 3,218
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321

The first batch of made-in-USA Westone UM3X had QC issues

The first batch of made-in-USA Westone UM3X-RC (removable cable) released a year later had QC issues

Fewer QC issues reported of the made-in-China Westone 3 & Westone 4 than the first batches of UM3X, UM3X-RC & UM2-RC

The $500 made-in-Japan Sony EX1000 housings have always had QC issues

The $200 made-in-Thailand Sony EX600 has never had any QC issues

The $1,000 made-in-Germany Sennheiser IE800 has an incredibly microphonic cable. The official specs stated a cable length of 120cm when in actual fact it's 12cm shorter (108cm)

The $400 made-in-China Sennheiser IE8 is one of the best IEMs QC-wise ever made

The $1,500 made-in-Germany HD800 hasn't exactly got the best build quality I've seen.

The $350 ($500 initially) made-in-France Earsonics SM3 has had some of the worst build quality I've seen in any IEM — coupled with CS that leaves a lot to be desired

No QC issues with my made-in-China MacBook Pro or 4G iPod Touch

As a statistical sample, this is horrible lol. But in terms of awesomeness, it scores an 11 out of 10.

I inherently trust anything coming out of Thailand. If we're trusting them to make a large part of the world's condoms, I think a headphone should be of little relative concern.

Goodness, now I know why I have so many kids.

May 19, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #893 of 3,218
Hi Does some one know if these have the same cable connectors as the SE535's?

May 19, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #894 of 3,218
Hi Does some one know if these have the same cable connectors as the SE535's?

I think its not the same in terms of specification but in size it is the same (shure use to have golden coated cable, but the SE846 is silver)

May 19, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #896 of 3,218
May 19, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #897 of 3,218
So regarding the talk in the last few pages about amps; I am interested to know if the JDS C5 would be a good amp choice for the SE 846?

Sent via iPhone using Tapatalk

May 19, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #898 of 3,218
Quote:
So regarding the talk in the last few pages about amps; I am interested to know if the JDS C5 would be a good amp choice for the SE 846?

As someone who owns a C5, I am curious about this too. :p

On the other hand, the C5 has a ~2 Ω output impedance, which would not be ideal for achieving the "magic 8" damping factor (DF = Z_load / Z_source; DF = 9 Ω / 2 Ω = 4.5). It is partially because of this damping factor that I brought up the "low impedance of the SE846 = better" thing.

May 19, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #899 of 3,218
I also own the JDS C5; bought it at Munkonggadget in Thailand just a couple months ago :) at the same time I bought the Shure SE535 Ltd. I am really enjoying this setup but am keen to know if the C5 will be a good partner for the 846 so anyone who has the opportunity to try these together please bookmark and give us your impressions later :wink:

May 19, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #900 of 3,218
I would think that Shure has made the overall impedance curve friendlier than the nominal spec may indicate but there's no way to know at this point. I would guess that both the bass and treble ranges may be higher than 9 ohms. Problem is that it still can't be optimum if they are too different as there will still be non-linearities. If not very different and close to the nominal 9 ohm impedance there may be bass roll off with many sources and this has a crossover besides. Will be interesting to see if and how it was addressed.

I think that any IEM not designed to work well with at least a 2 ohm output impedance is a bit of a fail. That's not to say these are that as it may be OK but it remains to be seen. Best case is if they would be around 16 ohms in the bass which would allow it to work pretty well with 2-3 ohm sources and cap coupled devices while keeping the recess in the mids to 1 db or under. I just don't understand why we should even need to be discussing this in a ground up design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back