Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
May 13, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #616 of 3,218
Aero: visceral has a variety of meanings: the literal one is that your guts move. Another is that you feel moved. Intuition, deep inward feelings. The SE846 bass is powerful and vibrates your ears. Depending on what you're listening to, it can be a very moving experience, especially as bass is very very clean. 

I'd rather consider the idea that powerful bass is NOT audiophile as a bunch of rubbish. Audiophile is a person who either enjoys music and goes to extremes to get great playback of it, or a person who loves music and buys gear to support a habit. Both audiophiles are hifi enthusiasts. The idea that bass isn't audiophile is rubbish. Go to a concert. Almost all concerts will have massive subwoofers that allow you to feel the bass. It doesn't matter where you are or who is attending. If bass is there, it is amplified. Why? Because it is hard to hear otherwise - at least when sized next to mids and vocals.

The SE846 can't slam your body - that is impossible. And psychoacoustics aren't my field but the physical feeling of more - clean - bass is triumphant. It it stays where it is supposed to, then it can be as audiophile (to anyone's definition) as possible. Of course, preferences have to be served. I'm not one of the group that claims that to be audiophile a speaker system has to be line flat. Firstly, not usually possible; secondly, everyone has different tastes.

May 13, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #617 of 3,218
Quote:
Quote:

Depends what you call a "bassey" IEM. A lot of people like the bass the SE535 has. It's too much for me, but that's me and what I listen to. The SE846 was similar in that it has too much bass for me, but the overall delivery was, IMO, excellent. 

Placebo is a medical term, not an audio one. Please don't add to its gross misuse. Thanks.

Can we get some verification for this information? Also we KNOW it is impossible to accurately measure headphones and IEMs above 10 kHz. I've pointed this out before. We're probably going to need to know your own, properly measured hearing range before you make statements such as the ones you make about the drop-off in the high treble. 
smile.gif

You can call it that or expectation bias, either way the point gets across, perception of what's actually not there due to awareness of some changing factor. 

It's not impossible, it's done all the time, manufacterers themselves measure to test bandwidth at times, what's not reliable is are the intricacy of curves past this region but as a test for bandwidth it's legitimate,if there's a frequency that's produce it's there on the graph otherwise it's not there. I personally test IEM with test tones in comparison to graphs for bandwidthand they perfectly match,most I've found was a 0.5db variation likely due to tips. I can hear above 20kz, certain headfi friends are the same, some can't hear past 16k. 

Ok, thanks for that clarification. I'm not at all disagreeing about the sound of the 535s by the way. That is my disagreement with their sound and why I said that the 846 sounded like a "fixed" 535. Now for more people's impressions, which I hope can come sooner rather than later.

May 13, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #618 of 3,218
My take on visceral impact with iems is that some produces a bass tone so true and reminiscent of how it should sound that memory retention of such experiences is brought to the fore and the natural responses is that your body can literally feel/sense the visceral impact.

May 13, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #619 of 3,218
Quote:
My take on visceral impact with iems is that some produces a bass tone so true and reminiscent of how it should sound that memory retention of such experiences is brought to the fore and the natural responses is that your body can literally feel/sense the visceral impact.

I like this take on it! I never really get a feel of viscerality when using iem's, but sometimes it's as though my body recreates the feeling of how it would be with speakers and a sub. Very rarely do I get this, only when the music is very emotionally engaging/ well recorded and presents good quality bass.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
May 13, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #622 of 3,218
Quote:

Ok, thanks for that clarification. I'm not at all disagreeing about the sound of the 535s by the way. That is my disagreement with their sound and why I said that the 846 sounded like a "fixed" 535. Now for more people's impressions, which I hope can come sooner rather than later.

good to hear!

May 13, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #625 of 3,218
Quote:
Not exactly, I phoned shure uk up. £999 confirmed release june at selfridges they are going to ring me back when its released here. edit Ive also been in contact with earphone solutions and $1000 deal is for North America only. Ive covered most the bases Im afraid.

That's pretty bad news, yet I'm not completely surprised considering the MSRP of Shure products in the UK (and the rest of Europe) is much higher that in the US. Funny how Sennheiser & AKG don't do this with the IE800 & AKG (hey, the Austrian-made K3003 is $200 cheaper in the US!)

---------------------------

Two things:

a)  I get extremely angry when I'm out and about and can't hear instruments' overtones.

b)  My hearing improves dramatically when I start looking at FR graphs — when I look at these graphs, I can hear up to 40K (50K on a good day). When I stop looking at those graphs, I can only hear up to 10K.

May 13, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #626 of 3,218
It will be interesting to hear what the actual sonic differences are between these new Shure SE846's and the Asian Red Limited Edition SE535's. Looking forward to hearing opinions once the reviews and comparisons start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 13, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #629 of 3,218
Two things:

a)  I get extremely angry when I'm out and about and can't hear instruments' overtones.

b)  My hearing improves dramatically when I start looking at FR graphs — when I look at these graphs, I can hear up to 40K (50K on a good day). When I stop looking at those graphs, I can only hear up to 10K.

This just made my day, honestly. Haha!

I don't mean to bring the SE535's (blatantly rolled off) high end discussion back into full circle, except where it relates to the topic at hand (SE846). So I do want to say this much. The ONLY extent to which I've ever personally utilized a FRC is to determine the overall tonality of a particular product. As far as the SE535 is concerned, I've always appreciated its low end response, and the midrange is undoubtedly its claim to fame. But the treble was, is, and always has lacked presence, with respect to the remainder of the frequency response. On the other hand, to those individuals capable of hearing treble presence that isn't there, congratulations!

To stay on topic, one of the many reasons I'm still interested in the SE846 is because I'm hoping that Shure has, to an extent, mitigated the above issue (lack of treble presence). If not, then they're simply not for me. Simple as that.

May 13, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #630 of 3,218
Quote:
I think thats what I did for the 15khz and could hear 15 khz but not 16 khz, I might go to hearing aid place and get a proper test.

Good luck. It's hard to test beyond 8 kHz, so most places aren't equipped for it.

I can hear clearly up to 16 kHz. My hearing drops sharply somewhere between 16 kHz and 17 kHz. If I can hear 17 kHz, it's my very limit; I'll need to test that one again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back