Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
May 9, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #106 of 3,218
Quote:
Would you please talk about the fit and isolation.  Thanks...........

Every earphone had the black olives squeezed on, and as such, isolated like bangers. The back side of the earphone is contoured and easily one of the most naturally fitting pieces of polycarbonate I've stuffed in the old ear holes. What wasn't nice was the cable. It isn't evidently in its final form in Japan (either the cable or the phone, I didn't grab which it was) but I'd not expect new materials. The cables swivelled out away from my ears without me doing anything and are very uncomfortable in combination with glasses. 

Sound is very nice. The cable really needs an overhaul.

May 9, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #107 of 3,218
I wonder how they will compare to the Tralucent 1plus2 which is perceived by many as the best universal. I may be postponing my 1plus2 purchase that I planned. When it gets to Addicted To Audio, I will be sure to go down and demo it for myself and compare it to my UM Miracles. 

May 9, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #108 of 3,218
Quote:
Every earphone had the black olives squeezed on, and as such, isolated like bangers. The back side of the earphone is contoured and easily one of the most naturally fitting pieces of polycarbonate I've stuffed in the old ear holes. What wasn't nice was the cable. It isn't evidently in its final form in Japan (either the cable or the phone, I didn't grab which it was) but I'd not expect new materials. The cables swivelled out away from my ears without me doing anything and are very uncomfortable in combination with glasses. 

Sound is very nice. The cable really needs an overhaul.

Thank you for responding. Any impressions of the soundstage? I notice with my Miracles that I feel like the sound surrounds me like a big halo with lots of air. 

I've used  the 530 and 535, Shure makes a very good product.

May 9, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #111 of 3,218
Quote:
There is more upper frequency shimmer in the SE486 (even stock standard tubes) than the SE535. That shimmer adds to the feeling of space. Again, I've spent only about 10 minutes with them so far. Tomorrow cometh, tomorrow cometh.

Like a kid in a candy store!!!!!! :)

'Till the morrow then'
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

May 9, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #112 of 3,218
Quote:
I'm so skeptical about the three different sound signatures: warm, neutral or bright. That just seems such a weird way to sell an iem. Like Shure couldn't decide what sounded great.

Look at it this way; you'll get three IEMs for the price of one. Each sounding great depending on your mood and recording!

May 9, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #115 of 3,218
Wow, were are the times, when E500 cost 300 bucks... (and it was quite much at the time :wink:

May 9, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #116 of 3,218
Quote:
It looks like the exact same cable on the rest of the SE line.I don't see why they would make a different cable or connector style just for one IEM. As far as connection problems, I've had my SE535s for over a year and have never had the slightest problem with the connectors or cable. I've had SE215s for a couple of months now and no issues so far.

Yea, I've got the 315's and had the 535's. I've never had a problem myself. It's just that my most recent purchase - ie800 - let me down bigtime on that front and has made me much more wary. For a start they advertise the cable as being 120cm long and it's actually 105cm meaning that it can't reach my mp3 player in my pocket. 

May 9, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #117 of 3,218
I wonder if there's a possibility of disappointing sales volume at this price leading to greater discounting in the future.  After the early adopter buzz wears off let's see where we are.  My initial reaction was, "I don't care HOW great these are .... I'm not spending this kind of money on a UIEM."

But I've said those kind of things to myself before .... and now I don't bat an eye spending over $1000 for a headphone and near $2000 for a DAC/amp.

May 9, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #118 of 3,218
I was checking out the se846 on earphone solutions and after several minutes a little pop-up appeared in the bottom right offering a 10% checkout discount if I checked out in I think it was 10 minutes. That's $100 off, making these $899 for preorder. Anyone interested might want to check it out and see if they get the same thing.

Edit...

After going to checkout and hitting close tab in firefox they also offered an instant 10% off, it didn't stack with the previous discount, but just in case you never see the pop up you might want to try putting it in your bag, checking out and trying to close the tab.

May 9, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #119 of 3,218
Quote:
I wonder if there's a possibility of disappointing sales volume at this price leading to greater discounting in the future.  After the early adopter buzz wears off let's see where we are.  My initial reaction was, "I don't care HOW great these are .... I'm not spending this kind of money on a UIEM."

But I've said those kind of things to myself before .... and now I don't bat an eye spending over $1000 for a headphone and near $2000 for a DAC/amp.

That's true.  While the cost of high end universals keeps going up, there is no inflation and salaries are stagnant so that is a bit out of sync.  The cost simply shuts out a huge segment of people that will pay $400 range for a great high-end universal but when you more than double that cost it doesn't really matter what it sounds like.  A Lamborghinni is nicer than a Lexus but not an option for most.

After the initial buzz I'd be surprised if retailers sold more than a couple pairs a month versus maybe 10-15 SE535's a month.

I called it!  
smile.gif
  A BA quad driver that goes the other way with more bass instead of less (compared to triple drivers).

May 9, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #120 of 3,218
Quote:
I was checking out the se846 on earphone solutions and after several minutes a little pop-up appeared in the bottom right offering a 10% checkout discount if I checked out in I think it was 10 minutes. That's $100 off, making these $899 for preorder. Anyone interested might want to check it out and see if they get the same thing.

Check 

.......I will be $899 plus 29 overnight lighter in approx. 45 days, if the reviews are positive.
We are very lucky in that all the heavy hitters will be checking them out this weekend. I think we will have a very good idea of fit, sq, and all else shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back