Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
May 1, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #3,151 of 3,218
  I need to warn you that the cables I'm using are stiff. Solid silver is not very pliable. You can easily bend them but they are not going to flop around like the cables that come with most iem's. I just thought I would mention that if you are using them on a portable rig you will notice that these are stiff.

That's good to know.  I would be most interested in using them at home.  Generally, when I use the SE846 portably, I am exercising and not really listening quite as closely.  I mean, we all always want better and better sound under all circumstances, but it's not exactly a situation where we're suffering when listening to the SE846 stock, haha.  :)

Thanks for the information.  I will most likely be trying these cables.

May 5, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #3,152 of 3,218
Hi everyone, 

i've been in this forum a lot but haven't found any answer yet so here goes my question:

Are there any high-end cable for the se846 which has also a remote/mic for calling?
I have the Shure Earphone Accessory Cable for iphone but it's build and sound qualitly is even below the stock cable...

Cheers!

Interested in an answer to this myself.

Looking for a nice copper cable with a mic for my 846. The Labkable upgrade cable I'm using is nice, but no mic makes it annoying, which means I have to use the Shure mic cable instead when I'm out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 31, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #3,153 of 3,218
Interested in an answer to this myself.

Looking for a nice copper cable with a mic for my 846. The Labkable upgrade cable I'm using is nice, but no mic makes it annoying, which means I have to use the Shure mic cable instead when I'm out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sign me up as another who's looking for this unicorn

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #3,154 of 3,218
I'm thinking seriously about blowing my iMac Retina budget on this, which would give me time to wait for a <27" version to come out possibly this fall. 

Are there any demo units running around, or a store that allows returns? How well has resale value been holding?

Jun 18, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #3,155 of 3,218
  I'm thinking seriously about blowing my iMac Retina budget on this, which would give me time to wait for a <27" version to come out possibly this fall. 

Are there any demo units running around, or a store that allows returns? How well has resale value been holding?

If your referring to the 846 the street price is $800-900 new. Better deals can be had occasionally on Massdrop. There are always units for sale on the forum usually around $700. 

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #3,156 of 3,218
Thanks.

I've just started reading this thread from last page back, after watching the video. Maybe someone can help me cut to the chase. For several pages already a major theme I'm seeing is the need for silver cables, which are also recommended at Moon Audio. This makes me wonder if the high end presentation of the SE 846 runs towards the polite, to overly polite side? 

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #3,157 of 3,218
  Thanks.

I've just started reading this thread from last page back, after watching the video. Maybe someone can help me cut to the chase. For several pages already a major theme I'm seeing is the need for silver cables, which are also recommended at Moon Audio. This makes me wonder if the high end presentation of the SE 846 runs towards the polite, to overly polite side? 

I actually use silver cables on all my iem's. It has a greater effect on some than others. On the 846 it brings out the soundstage and transparency. Makes them almost 3D. Honestly you can buy better iem's at much higher prices but only marginally better. None that I have heard can reproduce the sub bass as effectively as the 846. When you use silver cables you don't lose any of the great bass or mid it just opens up the top end but never bright or harsh with good recordings. I suppose personal taste enter into this as well.

Jun 18, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #3,158 of 3,218
  Thanks.

it's a warm IEM in general, you have the filters to play around a little but they will never turn into a er4s.
now the thing is, it has ludicrously low and changing impedance, so in general, as soon as the source+cable impedance rises, the 846 will get warmer and audibly so (it can be several db difference just by switching a low impedance DAP with a 3 or 4ohm DAP).
so if warmth isn't your thing, first I wouldn't buy this IEM. but if you do, before looking for cables, make sure you get yourself a really low impedance source. because no silver cable will compensate a 3ohm DAP(of course moon audio wants to sell you a silver cable^_^).
now after finding the low impedance DAP, I'm not a cable guy, but at that point sure the only reasonable way to still lower the impedance a little, will be silver cable or bigger diameter... but first find a source that doesn't hiss and has low impedance!!!!!!!

Jun 18, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #3,159 of 3,218

Thanks.

it's a warm IEM in general, you have the filters to play around a little but they will never turn into a er4s.
now the thing is, it has ludicrously low and changing impedance, so in general, as soon as the source+cable impedance rises, the 846 will get warmer and audibly so (it can be several db difference just by switching a low impedance DAP with a 3 or 4ohm DAP).
so if warmth isn't your thing, first I wouldn't buy this IEM. but if you do, before looking for cables, make sure you get yourself a really low impedance source. because no silver cable will compensate a 3ohm DAP(of course moon audio wants to sell you a silver cable^_^).
now after finding the low impedance DAP, I'm not a cable guy, but at that point sure the only reasonable way to still lower the impedance a little, will be silver cable or bigger diameter... but first find a source that doesn't hiss and has low impedance!!!!!!!

Okay, roger that. Here's hoping other manufacturers will follow along and produce uiem of similar quality.

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #3,160 of 3,218

You have a retina MBP, I wouldn't think you'd need a 27" iMac.

I use a 13" with an ultrawide monitor and it's awesome.

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #3,163 of 3,218
I am selling my 846 (see my signature) if anyone is interested

Jan 6, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #3,165 of 3,218
  I actually use silver cables on all my iem's. It has a greater effect on some than others. On the 846 it brings out the soundstage and transparency. Makes them almost 3D. Honestly you can buy better iem's at much higher prices but only marginally better. None that I have heard can reproduce the sub bass as effectively as the 846. When you use silver cables you don't lose any of the great bass or mid it just opens up the top end but never bright or harsh with good recordings. I suppose personal taste enter into this as well.

That more "3D" is just a cut on bass. SE846 are designed to work best with street devs like iphone, I know what im saying as I have true 0Ohm ouput impedance devices I use.
If you have 0 impedance at output, to make response flat on SE846 you need to add 6Ohm "silencer" for each channel.  Reason for it is that most of devices do not have zero output and shure decided to match best the biggest statistic. Root cause is a plenty of current needed to keep the stream and drying batteries fast (its just phisics), on other hand JH16 pairs best with near zero output, the bass of JH16 just makes SE846 looking like some $10 earbuds. Solution is simple - using zero ouput dac? Set silencer of 6-4Ohm at output and enjoy top iems :)

Its all about good pairing, unfortunately, street low impedance earphones are hard to control.

If you wanna experiment, buy variable silencer (you can also use variable splitter) and adjust outputs to see the best match, then use meter to check resistance on silencer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back