Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Apr 2, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #3,136 of 3,218
Ah so now the graph is correct if it supports your conclusions. Interesting. The crux of my arguments with you Milford was and remains your blithful dismissal of any graph that was not your blessed Headroom graph.

As for my assertion, as I stated earlier to Castle's post my definition of "treble" was different and I humbly apologized for that assertion.

We discussed this 'correct' or 'wrong' problem in post 3125.

Been talking about below 1khz zone which is well within the mid range area, the definition of treble does not matter.

Apr 2, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #3,138 of 3,218
eheh what a fight!
I really think most of the original disagreement came from our interpretation of bass mids trebles and spook seems to agree with his opinion not being in sync with http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

it's a vocabulary problem more than a hearing one.

now to add to your graph scramble fight, the way the graph is measured I would guess for practical reasons, would be to set the volume level as to get 80 or 90db(whatever as long as it's always the same) at 1khz.
but now the question is: on both websites, did they reset the volume level with each filter to get 1khz at the same loudness each time? or did they just change the filters and went on measuring again?  knowing that even if they did the second way in golden ears, they could perfectly afterward put the 3 graphs on the same screen and align them @1khz.

^_^.

anyway obstructing the nozzle(is that the right word?) would have at least progressive effect on the volume level per frequency. so even if it's really even barely measurable, there is probably a little bit in the bass too, up to a point.
I don't know how much damping is in the filters and the kind of fabric can probably change what frequencies can and cannot pass through, + the effect of the air being harder to move that could affect the IEM itself. but here is another example from M.R.O with an IEM(ety kid 50$ ^_^) and adding some filters of different values to it.
http://1.1.1.5/bmi/4.bp.blogspot.com/-JAHxfHL6PVw/UMWxz_CFbYI/AAAAAAAADFk/1H0uP9s_LS8/s320/dampers.png 
(I'm somehow unable to insert a picture, dunno if headfi or my super crap 3G connection?)

Apr 3, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #3,139 of 3,218

What you are saying seems to be correct, I feel this website explains it well:

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

hover your mouse over the higher mid range area you will find under spectrum data "2-4khz percussive attack" and a lot of instruments span across atleast 2 frequencies ranges  

What a fantastic find.  Thanks!

Apr 20, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #3,140 of 3,218
Hi everyone, 

i've been in this forum a lot but haven't found any answer yet so here goes my question:

Are there any high-end cable for the se846 which has also a remote/mic for calling?
I have the Shure Earphone Accessory Cable for iphone but it's build and sound qualitly is even below the stock cable...

Cheers!

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #3,141 of 3,218
Hi guys,

Quick question, I have been having problem with customer service issue with Shure. I'm afraid I am not communicating with the right person...

I'm pretty reasonable so, I figured, instead of judging their aftersales service right away based on one bad rep. I should probably contact the right person First.

I strongly believe there is a design flaw in Shure SE846 and I am giving them another opportunity to make things right even after experiencing very poor customer support through email exchange earlier.

I can appreciate it's not easy building a brand, and I am still giving them the benefit of a doubt for now... Coz it's sad to see a few bad apples ruining the whole barrel.

Anyways, so if anyone's got an email address to their customer service manager please share... Thank in advance.

Apr 30, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #3,142 of 3,218
Zee's on ebay do one. Some around $25 but also a silver one at around $100 if I recall.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Apr 30, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #3,143 of 3,218
  Hi everyone, 

i've been in this forum a lot but haven't found any answer yet so here goes my question:

Are there any high-end cable for the se846 which has also a remote/mic for calling?
I have the Shure Earphone Accessory Cable for iphone but it's build and sound qualitly is even below the stock cable...

Cheers!

IMO both stock cables do not allow you to hear what the 846 really can do. I upgraded the cable shortly after receiving my 8's and it made a huge difference. More than I have heard with any cable upgrade. I strongly suggest changing the cable.

May 1, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #3,144 of 3,218
  IMO both stock cables do not allow you to hear what the 846 really can do. I upgraded the cable shortly after receiving my 8's and it made a huge difference. More than I have heard with any cable upgrade. I strongly suggest changing the cable.

What cable do you use with it?  And does it help it deliver more treble?

May 1, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #3,145 of 3,218

Yes it delivers more treble. I use a solid silver cable. Hand made in Latvia by a really nice guy that makes all my cables. He will do just about anything custom if you ask.He is also reasonably fast compared to some of these cable companies.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/dtses14/m.html?item=181650410268&ssPageName=ADME%3AX%3ARTQ%3AGB%3A1123&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

His prices are low and his service is great. The quality is what you would be paying far more for with a brand name.

May 1, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #3,146 of 3,218

anything helping to reduce the impedance of the source will make the shure brighter a little less warm^_^. so lowest impedance source+ lowest impedance cable. because it's so sensitive to impedance a weird cable might very well audibly change the sound, but I wouldn't bet too much money that change=better(just my usual cable skepticism).
in any case, nothing will turn the treble free fall soon after 10-12khz, into something with loud detailed trebles. those 14-20khz will never be, they just drop too fast and too low to be retrieved.

May 1, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #3,147 of 3,218
  Yes it delivers more treble. I use a solid silver cable. Hand made in Latvia by a really nice guy that makes all my cables. He will do just about anything custom if you ask.He is also reasonably fast compared to some of these cable companies.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/dtses14/m.html?item=181650410268&ssPageName=ADME%3AX%3ARTQ%3AGB%3A1123&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

His prices are low and his service is great. The quality is what you would be paying far more for with a brand name.

Very interesting, thanks!

May 1, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #3,148 of 3,218
  anything helping to reduce the impedance of the source will make the shure brighter a little less warm^_^. so lowest impedance source+ lowest impedance cable. because it's so sensitive to impedance a weird cable might very well audibly change the sound, but I wouldn't bet too much money that change=better(just my usual cable skepticism).
in any case, nothing will turn the treble free fall soon after 10-12khz, into something with loud detailed trebles. those 14-20khz will never be, they just drop too fast and too low to be retrieved.

I'm not much of a cable believer myself until I got into iem's. They're very sensitive to small changes in ways that full size headphones aren't. I tried different cables on my HD800, T1 even my HE500's and the difference was audible but not what I would call important. Iem's are a whole different ball game because of their design and sensitivity. 

You are correct that you can't put back what isn't there. The very top end of the treble on the 846 is rolled off and nothing will change that. There is very little information up there. I'm not saying it doesn't make a difference but I find the 8's totally enjoyable as they are.

May 1, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #3,149 of 3,218

Yeah, I don't expect it to fundamentally change the SE846's character.  I use a HiFi-M8 with the impedance set to 1 ohm, which, like you say, helps brighten the sound signature.  I love the bass and mids of the SE846.  And while the lack of treble means I tend to use other 'phones for close listening, it's still an addictive and non-fatiguing sound to me, and I use the Shures a lot.  But I'm always looking to coax a little bit more treble from them.

May 1, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #3,150 of 3,218

Yeah, I don't expect it to fundamentally change the SE846's character.  I use a HiFi-M8 with the impedance set to 1 ohm, which, like you say, helps brighten the sound signature.  I love the bass and mids of the SE846.  And while the lack of treble means I tend to use other 'phones for close listening, it's still an addictive and non-fatiguing sound to me, and I use the Shures a lot.  But I'm always looking to coax a little bit more treble from them.

I need to warn you that the cables I'm using are stiff. Solid silver is not very pliable. You can easily bend them but they are not going to flop around like the cables that come with most iem's. I just thought I would mention that if you are using them on a portable rig you will notice that these are stiff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back