Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
May 27, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #1,021 of 3,218
"The only thing that is missing was perhaps the low sub-bass frequencies which the 846 failed to hit as deep as say a JH13/16"

Okay, no longer interested, fortunately for my wallet. 
gs1000.gif

May 27, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #1,022 of 3,218
Quote:
"The only thing that is missing was perhaps the low sub-bass frequencies which the 846 failed to hit as deep as say a JH13/16"

Okay, no longer interested, fortunately for my wallet. 
gs1000.gif

No, the TP is probably the culprit here. Impedance as high as the TP will cause bass roll-off.

May 27, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #1,024 of 3,218
No, the TP is probably the culprit here. Impedance as high as the TP will cause bass roll-off.

While I agree that the high impedance of the output is probably to blame for the bass roll off, the better question is why did the Shure engineers or marketing people choose to demonstrate the SE846 with such a source. Ignorance or to hide another flaw inherant in the design. I hate to posit an underlying motive but I was very surprised they selected or allowed such a source to be used.

May 27, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #1,025 of 3,218
Quote:
While I agree that the high impedance of the output is probably to blame for the bass roll off, the better question is why did the Shure engineers or marketing people choose to demonstrate the SE846 with such a source. Ignorance or to hide a flaw inherant in the design. I hate to posit an underlying motive but I was very surprised they choose such a source.

Right... but they didn't. The TP was Mike's personal DAP. He chose not to use the sources they had on display.

May 27, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #1,027 of 3,218
Quote:
I don't know if I'd trust those impressions, since he listened with the very high OI Tera Player. It's bound to have effects on the 9 ohm 846.

That was definitely a poor decision. I think 10 ohms OI (or did he set it to 20?) might have more of an effect than just bass roll-off. At least he found time to take pictures in the very short three minutes he got with the product...
He would better not have written down any impressions at all.

First he says it's well-balanced and then that it's like the SE215... Both descriptions do not only not match, but they also have both nothing to do with the UE900, which he explicitly mentions to hint it's a supposedly weaker product.
I have to admit, a good guess, but not trustworthy.

May 27, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #1,029 of 3,218
I suspect the SE846 sounds exactly the same as SE535. I bought the supposedly king of bass, IE80, and found out it has no bass whatsoever. I think this True Subwoofer is all placebo. In theory it might have sub-sub-sub bass (AKA no bass) but how useful is it if it is not strong, deep and heavy? I think that people who dare to pay $1000 will end up having an IEM that sounds more or less like the SE535. I just don't believe the bass is present. In my personal experience with the SE535 and so-called bass head IE80, bass needs full cans. IEM's don't have bass.

I'll keep my SE535 for the time being. If the SE846 gets a significant price drop, I might give it a go. But not for $1000 or even more than $1200.

It does look good though, aestetically. I have to admit it's the best-looking IEM I've seen so far.

May 27, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #1,030 of 3,218
Looks like an impressive work and movement from Shure, In any case it's eye candy.
But I fear price level will go madness again for Europe and Australia. Cannot wait to see local price tags. xD

May 27, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #1,031 of 3,218
Reread the review. He didn't use their portable source but likely tried their Fostex desktop setup since he was aware of the playlist .
A better imedanc question may be, why did Shure make a 9 ohm device? We also have no idea what impedance it is below 100hz so predicing bassvinteractions is premature.

May 27, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #1,032 of 3,218
Yes, because the SE846 == SE535 in sound.

Clearly Shure is devising a plan just trying to make our wallets thinner and they are actually paying Jude to say that the SE846 sounds better and more refined than their previous flagship earphone. Clearly that's what's up.

May 27, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #1,034 of 3,218
 "Just when I thought I thought I was...they pull me back in!"

I was just flipping channels and that exact moment came on. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back