Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
May 25, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #1,006 of 3,218
May 25, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #1,007 of 3,218
Quote:
Wow!  Are these the most expensive universals now at $999?

Nevermind....just remembered the 1plus2

I think AKG K3003 is the most pricy universal IEM today!   ($1200)

May 25, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #1,010 of 3,218
Quote:

TG!334 is $1345.  It's not internationally distributed though and hasn't been available for purchase for awhile (discontinued?)

You still can buy TG 334 but it's very hard to find and the waiting list is very long. The amount that they can produce are very small. Fitear is very small company based in japan and it hand made every piece of their products from assembling to lacquering. 

May 26, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #1,011 of 3,218
  1. The K3003 is $1,300 in the US, ~$1,500 in Europe (£1,000 / 1,200€).
  2. The TG 334 retails for ~$1,350
  3. The 1plus2 retails for ~$1,400
  4. The Piano Forte X costs $2,000+

May 26, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #1,012 of 3,218
Sheesh! I turn my back for a few days and this thread has turned into a MONSTER!
Excuse my ignorance, but I really have a problem wading through this many posts looking for the genuinely useful/interesting ones, is there a way of 'filtering' or re-ordering them to see the ones that people have voted up first?

I've trudged through some of the truly mammoth threads here on HF in the past, but I've now reached the point where the old re-hashed arguments and questions really tire me out (apologies if this post is guilty of this very sin).

On "Hot UK Deals" the posts considered most useful or interesting according to registered member votes can be arranged accordingly.
Can we do that here?

Sorry for the OT, and thanks for any help.

BTW these iem's look very interesting, and I'd love to read more reviews/impressions.
I wonder if the plate inside bears any similarity to transmission line designs as used in the full size speaker industry?

May 26, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #1,013 of 3,218
Ah, well, since I posted I've been reading up about transmission line technology, and it would appear to be a very different kettle of fish.
A transmission line affects the rearward output of a driver, with the intention of eliminating it's effect on the forward output of the driver, or, more commonly partially eliminating the rearward product, and bringing the remaining audible rearward product (bass frequencies) into phase with the forward facing bass frequencies to reinforce that part of the spectrum.

The SE846 uses the folded path between the forward production of the driver (BTW why do professional refer to iem drivers as "receivers"? that confuses me!) to limit the audible part of the output to chosen frequencies, IE bass.

I have no idea what happens to the rearward production of a balanced armature, or indeed if it even has any.

At least that's what I think it all means.
Please feel free to put me right if I've got it all woefully wrong.

May 26, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #1,014 of 3,218
Quote:

Good thing I didn't imply anything by what I said. All I did was report a commonly known fact within the tech community.

And please, Apple is the second richest company on the planet (used to be number one until Exxon passed them last month) so spare me the nonsense about ramen and Corollas. I'm neither a stockholder nor an Apple employee so I gain nothing from their massive profits. If one of those things were to change, then I would begin to care about their corporate welfare. And the same could be applied to any corporation, frankly.

All your comments show an staggering lack of understanding the free market and how it benefits EVERYONE. Look at the world of smart phones over that past 10 years. The products have improved by leaps and bounds while still keeping the price in check.  Amazing performance and relatively cheap for what they do. How can this be? They are making too much in profits and obviously ripping off Joe Sixpack? Right?

But Joe has a mini computer, phone, Wifi, secretary, stock broker, email, IM,  internet, The Chive
wink_face.gif
,  music player, arcade in his pocket. Yeah, lets stick it to Apple and Samsung and that will make things even better for Joe. Or will they cut back on the furious investment they are making into innovation because you have taken away some of the their profit motivation? Why take the investment risk to find the next big thing for a lower payoff?

Envy is one of the seven deadly sins for a reason. It distorts reality. Honestly think about that.

Oh, I see you are from Detroit. How is that leftist, screw the corporations and empower the unions and social programs working for you? Little guy doing well in Detroit, are they?

May 27, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #1,018 of 3,218
Quote:
Ah, well, since I posted I've been reading up about transmission line technology, and it would appear to be a very different kettle of fish.
A transmission line affects the rearward output of a driver, with the intention of eliminating it's effect on the forward output of the driver, or, more commonly partially eliminating the rearward product, and bringing the remaining audible rearward product (bass frequencies) into phase with the forward facing bass frequencies to reinforce that part of the spectrum.

The SE846 uses the folded path between the forward production of the driver (BTW why do professional refer to iem drivers as "receivers"? that confuses me!) to limit the audible part of the output to chosen frequencies, IE bass.

I have no idea what happens to the rearward production of a balanced armature, or indeed if it even has any.

At least that's what I think it all means.
Please feel free to put me right if I've got it all woefully wrong.

Look up bandpass subwoofer.

May 27, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #1,020 of 3,218
Quote:
Brilliant!
tongue.gif

In case anyone missed it:
http://www.headfonia.com/2013-spring-tokyo-headphone-festival-impressions/2/

I don't know if I'd trust those impressions, since he listened with the very high OI Tera Player. It's bound to have effects on the 9 ohm 846.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back