Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
May 14, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #676 of 3,218
I know this may seem a little strange to the moral individual (whomever you are) but companies are interested in making a profit.  The larger the company the less 'consumer is a human being' focused they become.  At the end of the day it's all about numbers.  If innovation is required for higher numbers there is innovation.  If it's marketing (i.e. Beats/Bose) then that's where the money goes.

If you are interested in an experience where you are not treated like a number you need to interact with a smaller company run by passionate people who take pride in their creations.  Fortunately the audio world is rife with such people.

Shure needs to price their flagship high for a few reasons.  One they want you to perceive that they are a premium audio company.  Two (like with luxury cars) there is a much higher margin for top end products, they want to make more money.

I think we're living in a great time for portable audio.  There has been an explosion of options for people in each and every price range both low and high.  Better still the quality in general has improved across the board.

Some companies profit, others fold, in the end it's the consumer who's winning.  Yay us.

May 14, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #677 of 3,218
Quote:

To me we're in what seems to be a golden age for high-end IEMs. That we have so many high-end offerings for CIEMs as well as UIEMs is pretty amazing when only a few years ago the top end was $500 or so and much fewer selection.

I would agree - while certainly the upper end has shot up to the stratosphere - the quality of IEM (and CIEM) you get for the once stratospheric $500 is superior to 5 years ago. The customs-turned universals available for that price point are arguably better than anything on the marketplace for the same five one-hundred dollar bills. (sorry international friends) And the quality of sound you get for $250 is scary. I think the focus on the upper echelon is a distraction. - On a side note, I figure that Shure will let this technology trickle down to lesser priced models. I can't wait for the 246, 546 and the 646!

May 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #678 of 3,218
Quote:
I think we're living in a great time for portable audio.  There has been an explosion of options for people in each and every price range both low and high.  Better still the quality in general has improved across the board.

Yes, now is a great time, but if the market continues this direction for the next 3 years like it did in the past 3 years, you will have to pay 3.000 $ for Shure's next flagship just because their production tools evolved and they get to call it "innovation" yet again.

May 14, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #680 of 3,218
It's interesting that, on the whole, either people feel it's OK if this product retails for $1,000, or that it should retail for pretty much the same price as the SE535 (or perhaps $100 higher).

Although I may find myself eventually getting a pair of SE846—though still rather unlikely because of my personal take on portable audio these days coupled with my current listening needs, AND not being a fan at all of the Shure swivel mechanism / connectors and cable type used on the SE535 & SE215—, I think a price tag of $750 ($800 max) would have been more appropriate ($750/$800 being a hell of a lot of money already), perhaps with a model number along the lines of SE750, SE755, SE744, SE757, SE747, SE777, or SE808, SE848.

Seems to me that pricing this item at a lower price than the $1,000 Sennheiser IE800 in a way is Shure's way of saying "The IE800 ain't necessarily better", the IE800 being Shure's direct and very reputable mainstream / well-known competitor — unfortunately, for most people out there "more expensive" = "better".

EDIT: Oh yes, nearly forgot: "more drivers" = "always unquestionably better"

May 14, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #681 of 3,218
Quote:

Yes, now is a great time, but if the market continues this direction for the next 3 years like it did in the past 3 years, you will have to pay 3.000 $ for Shure's next flagship just because their production tools evolved and they get to call it "innovation" yet again.

You won't "have" to do anything. That's how markets work.

May 14, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #682 of 3,218
Quote:

Some companies profit, others fold, in the end it's the consumer who's winning.  Yay us.

No its the big companies who are winning. I have no doubt that Shure could price these at half the price, and still turn a huge profit rather quick. They are able to artificially inflate prices by taking advantage of the easily influenced "audiophile" market. Thereby raising the average prices of IEMs. Bad for consumers.

Like someone said earlier, I remember when flagship universals were no more than $500 or so. It was the Shure e5c actually. And even then, people thought the price was ridiculous, and thought it wasn't any better than the $300 Etymotic ER4. Now here we are 10 years later, and Shure has raised the price of their flagship by almost a grand. Probably using the same production methods.

When people buy these overpriced IEMs, it just justifies the inflated pricing.

May 14, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #690 of 3,218
Quote:
I thinks it unfair to judge something on price alone considering the new technology that has been developed before any time honoured reviews/impressions have been published.

Again, this is no excuse.

Like I said earlier

IMO, true innovation is making better technology cheaper and more accessible. True innovation puts several times the computing power of the first space rockets into the palm of your hand, for exponentially less money. True innovation makes solid state drives only slightly more expensive than their much slower and less durable spinning counterparts.

Look at Schiit. They started off extremely small, but the second they had access to better techniques and machinery they produced the Magni and Modi. The Asgard 2 is another example of them making better products for the same price as the older generation. Same goes for companies like Apple and Samsung that push the limits on their products without feeling the need to jack up prices. They each have huge networks and staff to account for, so that doesn't excuse Shure either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back