Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Jan 20, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #3,061 of 3,218
Agree with all the opinions here. The quality of the 846 bass > um3x is, imho, not in question. Quantity-wise, the um3x has more mid-bass than the 846. The 846 has it beat on sub-bass.

In addition the 846, while having lots of bass, presents very fast, well-articulated bass- completely different from the lows of the UM3X's.

PS, I've owned both. I have had 3 different sets of UM3X over 4 years; my 846 was the first batch. So I've spent a LOT of time with these both!

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #3,062 of 3,218
Same here, had 5 different pairs of um3x/RC and now the Pro 30. Maybe something else can beat them in terms of clarity, details or soundstage, but nothing can beat the SE846 in terms of bass, not K3003, not IE800, not Noble K10U, not Roxanne, not W60, not LCD-2/3, not K812.

Yeah, like the Pro 50 which have a lot of sub bass than sub bass, all it does is making them very muddy sounding. The W60 can produce slightly lower sub bass I found, maybe 1 or 2 Hz lower but they don't have the punchiness or the sub woofer feel of the SE846.

Agree with all the opinions here. The quality of the 846 bass > um3x is, imho, not in question. Quantity-wise, the um3x has more mid-bass than the 846. The 846 has it beat on sub-bass.

In addition the 846, while having lots of bass, presents very fast, well-articulated bass- completely different from the lows of the UM3X's.

PS, I've owned both. I have had 3 different sets of UM3X over 4 years; my 846 was the first batch. So I've spent a LOT of time with these both!

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #3,063 of 3,218
Same here, had 5 different pairs of um3x/RC and now the Pro 30. Maybe something else can beat them in terms of clarity, details or soundstage, but nothing can beat the SE846 in terms of bass, not K3003, not IE800, not Noble K10U, not Roxanne, not W60, not LCD-2/3, not K812.

Yeah, like the Pro 50 which have a lot of sub bass than sub bass, all it does is making them very muddy sounding. The W60 can produce slightly lower sub bass I found, maybe 1 or 2 Hz lower but they don't have the punchiness or the sub woofer feel of the SE846.

How would you compare the SE846 to the UM Pro 30? I have the SE846 and thinking of getting the Pro30 for compliments.

Feb 8, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #3,066 of 3,218
  When people say the iPhone costs $207 to make and thus imply that there is $442 pure profit in it, it makes me crazy. It is as short sighted and narrow a vision of the world as could exist. I suppose they should charge just enough so that everyone could afford a ramen dinner and drive a used Corolla.

Ouch, i drive a Corolla S,  but a new one though, and i don't eat ramen for dinner FYI.

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #3,068 of 3,218

Wow!  Do you have the Audeze cans?  I've read all over the place how great their bass is.  And considering they are full-sized cans (even more full-sized than usual...), I'd have expected them to beat the 846 in the bass department, even though I know first-hand how good the 846 bass is.  I was contemplating getting a set of Audeze heaphones...should I reconsider?

EDIT: I now see from your list that you do have them, along with many other great headphones.  Would you mind comparing the Audeze headphones to the 846?  I'm interested in the LCD2/3 and the LCD-XC.

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #3,069 of 3,218

Wow!  Do you have the Audeze cans?  I've read all over the place how great their bass is.  And considering they are full-sized cans (even more full-sized than usual...), I'd have expected them to beat the 846 in the bass department, even though I know first-hand how good the 846 bass is.  I was contemplating getting a set of Audeze heaphones...should I reconsider?

EDIT: I now see from your list that you do have them, along with many other great headphones.  Would you mind comparing the Audeze headphones to the 846?  I'm interested in the LCD2/3 and the LCD-XC.

From personal experience, if I had the chance to buy the LCD2 again, I wouldn't. I feel the LCD2 is technically better, but the bass doesn't hit as low, with a slightly flatter signature, the weight of the headphones is a deal breaker for me. The 846 just seems more enjoyable, but the texture/details of the drums of the 846 isn't as good, sort of slightly smudged together and not as crisp. Of course the gap may be closer with a $2500 amp/dac, depends how much money you're willing to throw at it, I feel what I said is accurate for a mid range desktop amp/dac combo.

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #3,070 of 3,218
Thanks.  Yeah, I think I'm done buying amps for a while.  I'm trying not to go too crazy, so I'll be sticking with the Centrance.  I suppose it's safe to assume the Audezes extend farther up into the high frequencies, right?

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #3,071 of 3,218
Just picked up a 2nd hand pair of SE846's (should get Friday/Monday)

Will my source players be good enough to complement them:

Note 4 (Snapdragon version)
Galaxy Tab S 8.4 (exynos version, believe it has Wolsfon DAC).

Keep reading the 8:1 Ohm ratio but don't understand it really.

I did try out a Dragonfly1.2 USB DAC recently with the above two using my current Klipsch X10i. I could detect an improvement when connected to the Note 4 but the Tab S sounded just as good over headphone out. I sent the Dragonfly back for now.

Any recommendation for a cable replacement with remote (I didn't like the Shure one I had with my Se535's)

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #3,072 of 3,218
I have the Snapdragon Note 4 as well.  I really enjoy the SE846 from it.  Sure, it sounds better from the CEntrance, but it's really not a complete slaughter.  The SE846 works really well in a true convenience portable setup, imo.

Mar 23, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #3,073 of 3,218
  I have the Snapdragon Note 4 as well.  I really enjoy the SE846 from it.  Sure, it sounds better from the CEntrance, but it's really not a complete slaughter.  The SE846 works really well in a true convenience portable setup, imo.

I've done some more testing now with a Modern Desktop with decent audio, Dragonfly 1.2, TabS 8.4, iP5 and Note 4 and find the Qualcomm Note 4 to be excellent with the SE846. If I'm splitting hairs the Exynos Tab S 8.4 does sound slightly better (more life) but nothing in it really to my ears. As for the SE846 themselves, amazing and much better than the standard SE535's I had in every way.  Still be using my trusty Klipsch X10i for exercise duties which still impress me with the SQ for the money (plus super comfort).

I've also now decided my ears can't tell the difference between Spotify Extreme 320kbps files and the lossless FLAC ones on Tidal so sticking with the cheaper (and more flexible for me) Spotify Premium.

Having read all the feedback and only liking silicon tips, I've now tried the Westone Black Star Tips and they are more comfortable than the Shure greys (get itchy ear with the greys). I always liked the Klipsch ovals for comfort but the Westone seal better and are just as comfy so now fitted to my SE846's & X10i's. Think they also make the earphones sound slightly better too but that's likely due to the better fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back