Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
May 2, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #2,897 of 3,218
Mine come in on Wednesday. My comfort zone for iems is around 400-500$ so we'll see if these are good enough for me to keep them.

I'd give them a few weeks of constant listening before making any commitments. Try all the tips. The olives make the sound darker and thicker than the SE846 sounds naturally. Yellow foams or other low density, high throughput ear pieces will give the most neutral sound.

May 2, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #2,898 of 3,218
  I'd give them a few weeks of constant listening before making any commitments. Try all the tips. The olives make the sound darker and thicker than the SE846 sounds naturally. Yellow foams or other low density, high throughput ear pieces will give the most neutral sound.

Completely agree! The yellow foams sound alot more natural and resonance is more pronounced. The olives are definitely darker, thcker and the bass THUDS rather than resonates.

I never had yellow foams before but they are the bees knees. Are these made by shure?

May 2, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #2,899 of 3,218
I am reporting back:

I returned my UM Pro 50 due to a lose connector on one side of the ear piece and ordered Shure SE846 instead. I was hoping they share the same sound signature at least. After missed the Fedex twice and on the 3rd day, I finally got the SE846 today! Centrance DACport 1 Ohm show up at my door step on the same day. Today must be a special day for me, an early Christmas. I could not wait to give both a try, hook up the SE846 out of the headphone out from my MacBook pro. Man, SE846 has similar overall sound signature but more open and transparent. The bass is much cleaner and VERY tight, kiss as hard as Pro 50 but better defined. I will give credit to pro 50's vocal which is a hair more natural as right now. SE846 has better dynamic, overall timbre balance is much flatter than the Pro 50, sound more (right). 

Now, throw in the DACPort 1Ohm into the chain, "wow" and "Oh no" at same time! The DACport cleanup the sound and took all the muddiness what so ever away and improved the SE846 in all areas expect bass. The dark sounding SE846 with DACport sound a little bright. It is all personal reference thought. For someone complain about SE846 being dark, muddy, or slow DACport is the golden key for that! 

For me (only) who came from LCD-2 V1, I almost wish I could keep a little bit of the boominess of SE846 with this setup, just little bit you know. As now, I also wish the DACport's output is around 2~3 Ohm, just to warm things up. I think i will get after market cables for them and maybe they will improve with more burn-in time.

I used the blue filter because I have not change them yet, and Westone star tips.

Sum up, I am glad I send the Pro 50 back, and the $300 premium of SE846 is paid off by its performance. I wrote this up because I feel the SE846 deserves. The vocal naturalness of Pro 50 was impressive, I hope the SE846 will catch up in this area with some use.

May 2, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #2,902 of 3,218
best price without bargin 999sgd

agiprodj.com has them for $850 with coupon code SPRINGFLING , good thru 5/4. They're a good retailer too, I purchased my SE846's from them a few months back for the same price.

May 2, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #2,904 of 3,218
Thanks!  Sounds like a very reasonable price. :)

Especially for an IEM this good, and didn't it originally retail for $1250, smoking deal at $850 I'd say.

May 2, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #2,906 of 3,218
Plus the lack of tax which is another big discount

And free shipping, best deal I could find online by far. Quick delivery too.

May 2, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #2,907 of 3,218
  Completely agree! The yellow foams sound alot more natural and resonance is more pronounced. The olives are definitely darker, thcker and the bass THUDS rather than resonates.

I never had yellow foams before but they are the bees knees. Are these made by shure?

I'm not sure who makes them, but I got my first pair back in 2004 or so from a Shure purchase and loved it till it fell apart. That pair and the pair I use now are a LOT a like. 

May 2, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #2,908 of 3,218

Thanks!  Sounds like a very reasonable price.
smily_headphones1.gif

Especially for an IEM this good, and didn't it originally retail for $1250, smoking deal at $850 I'd say.

If you need to buy them in Hong Kong, the cost I bought at was USD850 equivalent (original 1 year warranty). Send me a PM if needed 

May 2, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #2,909 of 3,218
  I'm not sure who makes them, but I got my first pair back in 2004 or so from a Shure purchase and loved it till it fell apart. That pair and the pair I use now are a LOT a like. 

How long  did your pair actually last? I don't really like the idea of disposable earbuds!

If you need to buy more, they are made by Shure:
http://www.amazon.com/Shure-EAYLF1-10-Universal-Yellow-Sleeves/dp/B003Y586K4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1399020478&sr=1-1&keywords=shure+yellow+foam

May 2, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #2,910 of 3,218
My first pair lasted about 2 months, give or take. The Olives lasted about 7 years. But the Olives hurt my ears and muffle the sound slightly. The yellow foams probably last a bit longer depending on the climate. I'm going on two months with the current pair. I'll let you know if they last longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back