Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Mar 1, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #2,566 of 3,218
what a great IEM!
etysmile.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #2,568 of 3,218
Demo-ed the Shure SE846 and my first impressions was pretty dissapointing. Perhaps my expectations are a little too high, but I find that it wasn't worth the upgrade from my SE535 instead at this price.

I couldnt disagree more,I own the 535 as well and I was surprised and unprepared for how much better the 846 sonded to me in comparison to the 535 which I liked very much.I never argue about whether something is worth the money because if you dont have the available cash it isnt worth the upgrade and if you do it is....that is the way it is with everything,cars computers etc.....for me listening to the 846 is an entirely different experience with much improved bass and a general sense of space and depth of sound I have never heard from an IEM!

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #2,570 of 3,218
I mean... maybe my expectations was a little too high when I demo-ed the unit. There are improvements from the Se535, but mot significant enough. Anyway, my purchasing power isn't that high so price is a factor when I make purchases.

For most people a price is a big factor haha especially at $1000! I had saved up for a while to uprage from my Westones and when I auditioned the 846, I played bass heavy music to hear what the fuss was about. It was shocking, I loved the bass but at the time of listenting that was the only difference I could notice. I bought them and knew I could return them in case I found them not worthy of the price but the more I listened to them, the more I noticed all of the improvements over my W3, W4's. I learned that for me it takes a prolonged auditioning to really grasp the product's capabilities.

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #2,571 of 3,218
  Demo-ed the Shure SE846 and my first impressions was pretty dissapointing. Perhaps my expectations are a little too high, but I find that it wasn't worth the upgrade from my SE535 instead at this price.

I couldnt disagree more,I own the 535 as well and I was surprised and unprepared for how much better the 846 sonded to me in comparison to the 535 which I liked very much.I never argue about whether something is worth the money because if you dont have the available cash it isnt worth the upgrade and if you do it is....that is the way it is with everything,cars computers etc.....for me listening to the 846 is an entirely different experience with much improved bass and a general sense of space and depth of sound I have never heard from an IEM!

+1, the sense of space is really nice. Bass isn't overpowering, which is actually nice. I have heard & owned many basshead IEMS. This isn't a basshead earphone, but bassheads should appreciate it. The biggest disappointment I have ever had in an IEM was the IE800...

Mar 1, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #2,572 of 3,218
  +1, the sense of space is really nice. Bass isn't overpowering, which is actually nice. I have heard & owned many basshead IEMS. This isn't a basshead earphone, but bassheads should appreciate it. The biggest disappointment I have ever had in an IEM was the IE800...

I'm absolutely loving my 846.  I didn't really want to hear your comment, as I have an IE800 in transit.  I wanted to compare the 2 and probably sell the loser.  I'll start tamping down my expectations; maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Mar 1, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #2,573 of 3,218
I don't mean to discourage you. But to be honest Bobjs, the 846 has much better isolation, less microphonics, better (kevlar) cable, more options for ear tips (not limited like the IE800), more stable housing. The sound that comes out of the 846 is very balanced, but also has a lean on bass. IE800 sub-bass is ok, but I feel is only more audible due to decreased mid-bass. The 846 comes with two cables and a variety of tips, which should be standard in an IEM at top cost. I'm not disappointed at all with the 846. But I may be totally wrong, everyone likes different things. I hope you enjoy whatever it is you buy!

Mar 1, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #2,574 of 3,218
In sound and comfort I prefer the IE800.I'm selling 846.But,846 is the best iem I have ever had without sound class.And unfortunately 846 hurts my right ear too.

In sound IE800 is the best iem I have ever listened. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #2,575 of 3,218
Well, I hate to say this but I feel like Shure has backed me into a corner now and I am feeling very frustrated with my purchase of the SE846's. Quite frankly this has been the worst purchase I have ever made. I received my SE846's on Monday only to find that the sound in the right earbud was going out, straight out of the box! The volume was very low at first and is now completely dead, have tried all tips and suggestions that I've read to get them working again but nada. To add to my dismay with these headphones, I contacted Shure on Monday (5 days ago) and have still yet to hear a response from them. To me this is just unacceptable To pay almost $1000 for a headphone that is supposed to be a flagship headphone, only to have it fail straight out of the box, and to not stand behind your product is absolutely unacceptable.

I have e-mailed Shure back to let them know I would be posting my frustrations with their "flagship" IEM on Head-Fi, and will update if they decide to get around to standing behind their headphone. As it is, I would recommend anyone considering the SE846 to stay far, far away because as of right now it has been a grand down the drain for me.

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #2,576 of 3,218
I have ever made. I received my SE846's on Monday only to find that the sound in the right earbud was going out, straight out of the box! The volume was very low at first and is now completely dead, have tried all tips and suggestions that I've read to get them working again but nada.

Have you tried the other (shorter) Cable? Maybe it's the Cable connector. Switch L & R cable connectors at the earpieces just to check if it's the cable and not the earpiece/driver....can't hurt..
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #2,577 of 3,218
Yup, have tried both cables, they are not the issue. I also have a cable on order from Effect Audio from them I will try, if that does not work, then it's just another $200 down the drain.

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #2,578 of 3,218
Not sure why you didn't just get an exchange from the shop you bought it from.  Try the new pair in store or decide to move on to something else.

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #2,579 of 3,218
I contacted the dealer and they said to contact Shure. Could not try them in store as no dealers in my area carried them so I had to purchase online. It's truly sad that Shure won't stand behind a headphone that costs $1000 and is supposed to be their flagship IEM.

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #2,580 of 3,218
Who's the dealer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back