Shure SE535 vs Vsonic GR07 ... comparable unamped?
Jun 8, 2012 at 5:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

s1rrah

Headphoneus Supremus
Can anybody who has owned both comment on how comparable these two IEM's are?

I'm a long time user of the SE535's but recently had mine stolen from the gym; now, I'm trying to decide if I want to re invest in the somewhat expensive SE535's or shoot for something nearly as good but a tad cheaper. The theft thing has left a foul taste in my mouth and I've since sold my Arrow amp and now simply have an S:flo 2 to listen through.

My options are either to get another set of Shure's or something like the Vsonic GR07's (possibly another amp down the road but it's not that big of a deal). 

I dig the somewhat neutral signature of the SE535's...I like the well behaved bass and crunchy mids...the highs are really okay by me to, even with the trademark roll off.

So how would the Vsonic GR07's compare with the Shure's in regards to those tonal qualities?  How about detail retrieval (which I find the SE535's to be somewhat adept at)??

Thanks for any assistance...

.joel

Jun 8, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #2 of 5
Hi. I had a chance to compare the SE530 to the GR07 not to long ago. Not even close. The GR07 was simply the better iem in every single aspect. I'm not sure to what extent this can be extrapolated to the 535, but I imagine it's close due to the similar driver config and reports of only small tuning changes.

here is my write up:

Shure SE530 Comparison:

I have a Shure SE530 on loan. When I had my SE215, I almost spent $400 to upgrade to the SE535 (which I hear is very similar in sound). Of course I had to compare it to the current love of my audio life, the GR07, to see if I missed out on anything by going the route I chose. The answer is...nope. The GR07 is simply a better iem then the SE530. Whenever I switch over from the 530 to the GR07, it's like a breath of fresh air, not just in sound signature, but also in SQ refinement and frequency extension. One funny thing I noticed on the SE530 that shocked me was...sibilance! It didn't come up as often as the GR07, but when it did, I literally felt pain from the harshness. Just a little tidbit there that I wasn't expecting, given all the talk of Shure smoothness and recessed highs. I'm completely happy with the choice I made, and the money I saved.

i

Jun 8, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #3 of 5
thanks for that... so are you saying the GR07 is silibant at times as well? ive never really percieved silibance in the shures but have heard other folks have. it sounded like you were saying the vsonics were silibant as well...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Yes there is sibilance in the GR07. If a track has it, it definitely won't hide it. If the track is smooth, then so is the GR07.

How would you describe the highs otherwise? Leaning towards neutral (sounds like any given recording) or does it impart any extra/additional "character" to the mix?

I'm leaning towards trying the GR07's as one, I don't want to spend 300+ dollars for another set of Shures just yet and two, I'm not going to be getting another amp for a few more months...and need/want something that's going to work fairly decent straight out of my S:flo 2 DAP.

I'm definitely getting another Arrow amp eventually, cause it just works so well with *everything* ... full sized cans as well as IEM's ... but not for at least three or four months. Do you use the Vsonics amped or unamped? If amped, then how do they sound straight out of your DAP vs amped?

Thanks again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back