Shure SE535 Special Edition (Red) vs Regular SE535 (Bronze/Clear)?
Mar 23, 2012 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

warrenzn

Head-Fier
I am a fan of Shure earphones having owned the SE210 and SE420, I have been looking at getting the SE535 ever since they revised the range, but since I learned about the new "Special Edition" Red SE535's, I am keen to find out which is the best version of this earphone...

Shure SE 535 Special Edition (Red):

Shure SE535 "Regular" (Clear / Bronze):

Can anyone (preferably that has listened to them) comment on the differences between the Red version and the Normal version of the Shure SE535? Is the Red version better?, if so, by how much? What are the differences in the sound signature between the Red 535 and the other two?

Reading around this forum, some users have suggested these earphones improve with the use of an aftermarket cable like the Baldur MK-II? How much of a difference does that make compared to the stock cable?

Your honest opinions and comments will be much appreciated.

Mar 23, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 15
Just to make it clear, I only own the Red version, and I find it perfect for my taste.

When I see most people here criticizing the normal SE535 for their roll-off bass and piercing treble, and even comparisons saying that they provide less clarity and separation than UM3X for example, I can't believe the Red SE535 are just the same than the normal SE535...

I had UM3X for some time, and Red SE535 are definitely leading for clarity and instrument separation, and treble are just butter smooth with the stock cable.

I'm afraid it is going to be tough finding people who have tested both models seriously (not just for 5 minutes in a shop).

Mar 23, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #3 of 15
i bought the bronze se535, and then a pair of red se535 came up for a good deal and got those. i compared the 2 se535 bronze and se535 reds, and i must say there definitly is a difference with the red as far as the highs are cocerned, they dont have that roll off or shrilly sound that the bronze had. imo the highs are greatly improved with the higher freq range over the bronze.

i felt the reds had more height and depth to the music than the bronze,the bronze seemed to have clipped height to the music probably from the lower freq cut vs the high freq cut of the reds i guess you could say the reds seemed to have a larger sound stage.

both bronze and reds have:

amazing clarity
amazing separation of instruments
very detailed
bronze highs have some sparkle but somewhat shrilly and some roll off
reds highs are alot more smooth no roll off, and sparkly
both have very forward mids
both have tight bass, quality not quantity but amped these can get very low the bass seems meant to be heard in its natural state

given the fact that the reds sound signature is somewhat different from the bronze or clears, i definitly found the sound of the reds to be superior over the bronze or clears. i sold my bronze after comparing the 2.

i am right now in the process of trying to decide what cable i want the baldur mk2,baldur mk2 pro or the dream cable, i have yet to try any but from what ive read you ant go wrong with the baldur mk2

Mar 26, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #4 of 15
I've just bought a pair of red SE 535 after a lot of reading on this forum. 

Have only had them a few hours but first impressions are good, if not lacking a little punch in the bass department but that's my only initial comment.

I have a Baldur mk2 arriving this week, as well as a DHC Symbiote cable, so will be able to offer a little (if amature) insight later on.

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #5 of 15
Been testing with the Baldur Mk2 vs stock 535 SE cable and for me the stock cable is better...

Baldur increases the mids and highs, perhaps gives a more balanced sound, but is lacking even more in the bass department - quite surprising. 

Will investigate more but am quite disappointed. This is straight from iPhone 4 with 320kbps Mp3.

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
Been testing with the Baldur Mk2 vs stock 535 SE cable and for me the stock cable is better...

Baldur increases the mids and highs, perhaps gives a more balanced sound, but is lacking even more in the bass department - quite surprising. 

Will investigate more but am quite disappointed. This is straight from iPhone 4 with 320kbps Mp3.

I am really surprised by that comment. I found that the Baldur increased the bass by quite a fair amount to the extent, people have mentioned that the sound is too rich and full. Will be interesting to see how this progress?!

I used to listen straight out of a Cowon D2+ and then a X7 before amping and now a iBasso DX100. Never found bass to being the culprit of lessening the sound quality.

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #7 of 15
did you allow any burn in time with the cable? or allow your brain to get adjusted to the sound of the baldur? maybe you are more used to the stock cable sound?

imo the stock cable is pretty good. but the baldur should be better.

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #8 of 15
No, no burn in time, these are just my initial impressions out of the box. I only have about 5 hours listening time on the stock cable, 1.5 hours with the Baldur, early days I know.

I have a DHC cable coming this week and also a Fiio E17. Trying to find what's the best combo for me and will sell the rest.

I'll update when I've given them a better run through.

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
No, no burn in time, these are just my initial impressions out of the box. I only have about 5 hours listening time on the stock cable, 1.5 hours with the Baldur, early days I know.

I have a DHC cable coming this week and also a Fiio E17. Trying to find what's the best combo for me and will sell the rest.

I'll update when I've given them a better run through.

The DHC Symbiote is a worldclass cable 
biggrin.gif
 Best IEM cable I've tried to date, but this is talking about the Symbiote SE

Nov 16, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #12 of 15
I wonder if the reds have more bass than the regular bronze edition. That's always been the drawback for me with these mid-centric IEM's. Hard to find an IEM with amazing bass and forward mids

Sep 3, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #13 of 15
Hi,
Will just throw in my 2 Cents worth then to the Op's questions...
I cannot comment as 2 the normal 535 clear or bronze's as I only have just received my Red Ltd 1's yesterday, so can just give my views on them :wink:
1st impressions are that IMHO & I've only had them now x2 days is that their the best IEM'S I've ever owned or tested/ heard & I've tried a few so called higher end in ears.
Have so far used only 1 source as that's really all I tend to use with any of my cans & that's my Colorfly C4 Pro with uncompressed self ripped Flacs set on Upscale to 192 with a "normal"/ Flat EQ setting like I always tend to do...
I'm using the stock cable but knowing me = I'll most likely get a custom made pure Silver cable made up or perhaps 1 of the many already available.

So 1st impressions then = These are really really comfortable in your ears, like so comfortable I mostly don't even feel like their even in my ears :wink:
I know that might sound crazy but I cannot see me wanting to grab any other IEM's or even over ear cans either ever again hehe...
I've tried all kinds of music styles but cannot find a weakness at all TBH with you friend, Nice tight bass/ a smoothe mid & an even smoother sound from the highs (no shrills with anything) ... Oh 1 thing of note = my other IEM'S like say my old but still loved Monster copper turbine pros as an example require the C4's volume slider to be cranked up at around 2/3rds - 3/4rs while these Red Shures are extremely Loud at say about 1/3rd turned up & the C4 has a pretty loud output & I do tend to like my music LOUD LOUD hehe... So the Shure Reds will definitely be good on your Devices Battery or batteries if like your with the majority who use a eh iPod & an amp of some sort.

As for Lower quality music like mp3 or apple files etc... I can't comment as I find those to be an assault to my eardrums be it through my Hi-Fi or my Cans, so sorry can't help you there.

Last thing to note is that I'm using the Big Yellow foam tips since they seem to fill out in ear excellently after scrunched up for insertion... Usually my ears take a Medium sized tip... But I'm using the big yellow 1's due to reading that they were pretty much a universal fit & that seems to be the case, I might try the Medium Black sleeves (tips) to double check but it feels pretty much a good seal with those yellows np's.

So to some up then I guess here = Shure the Red Limited 1's are more expensive & it's most likely justified since I'm loving every note that flows smoothly out of them, then again Clarity always comes at a price so it's always a matter of how clear things need to be to you...
Some people are happy with their eh IPod & £4.99 eBay fake diddly beats but I'm just happy with my new Shure SE 535 Ltd's since IMHO their the 1st IEM'S that are doing my Colorfly C4's abilities justice & I love every chance I get to listen to the pair now :)
So although I've never tried the cheaper bronze or clear models I can without a need to pause whole heartedly RECOMMEND you go for the Red Ltd's friend as they'll make you smile for Shure :)

Greets J.

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #15 of 15
Hi,
Will just throw in my 2 Cents worth then to the Op's questions...
I cannot comment as 2 the normal 535 clear or bronze's as I only have just received my Red Ltd 1's yesterday, so can just give my views on them :wink:
1st impressions are that IMHO & I've only had them now x2 days is that their the best IEM'S I've ever owned or tested/ heard & I've tried a few so called higher end in ears.
Have so far used only 1 source as that's really all I tend to use with any of my cans & that's my Colorfly C4 Pro with uncompressed self ripped Flacs set on Upscale to 192 with a "normal"/ Flat EQ setting like I always tend to do...
I'm using the stock cable but knowing me = I'll most likely get a custom made pure Silver cable made up or perhaps 1 of the many already available.

So 1st impressions then = These are really really comfortable in your ears, like so comfortable I mostly don't even feel like their even in my ears :wink:
I know that might sound crazy but I cannot see me wanting to grab any other IEM's or even over ear cans either ever again hehe...
I've tried all kinds of music styles but cannot find a weakness at all TBH with you friend, Nice tight bass/ a smoothe mid & an even smoother sound from the highs (no shrills with anything) ... Oh 1 thing of note = my other IEM'S like say my old but still loved Monster copper turbine pros as an example require the C4's volume slider to be cranked up at around 2/3rds - 3/4rs while these Red Shures are extremely Loud at say about 1/3rd turned up & the C4 has a pretty loud output & I do tend to like my music LOUD LOUD hehe... So the Shure Reds will definitely be good on your Devices Battery or batteries if like your with the majority who use a eh iPod & an amp of some sort.

As for Lower quality music like mp3 or apple files etc... I can't comment as I find those to be an assault to my eardrums be it through my Hi-Fi or my Cans, so sorry can't help you there.

Last thing to note is that I'm using the Big Yellow foam tips since they seem to fill out in ear excellently after scrunched up for insertion... Usually my ears take a Medium sized tip... But I'm using the big yellow 1's due to reading that they were pretty much a universal fit & that seems to be the case, I might try the Medium Black sleeves (tips) to double check but it feels pretty much a good seal with those yellows np's.

So to some up then I guess here = Shure the Red Limited 1's are more expensive & it's most likely justified since I'm loving every note that flows smoothly out of them, then again Clarity always comes at a price so it's always a matter of how clear things need to be to you...
Some people are happy with their eh IPod & £4.99 eBay fake diddly beats but I'm just happy with my new Shure SE 535 Ltd's since IMHO their the 1st IEM'S that are doing my Colorfly C4's abilities justice & I love every chance I get to listen to the pair now :)
So although I've never tried the cheaper bronze or clear models I can without a need to pause whole heartedly RECOMMEND you go for the Red Ltd's friend as they'll make you smile for Shure :)

Greets J.
Did you listen to prog rock with them and if yes, how does the bass do? Thinking of Yes for example with C.Squires famous Rickenbacker sound, or even Primus for that matter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back