shure se535 or se425?
Jul 21, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #2 of 18
I dont think anyone has actually had their hands on the 425 yet. I called Shure & they're still backordered. Judging from my experience w/ the 530's & 420's, and assuming sq hasnt drastically changed w/ the new models, I'd say the cost is probably worth it.

Aug 17, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 18
Shure said that the 535s were more for "fun" listening and the 425 would be more for stage monitoring and analytical listening.

Aug 17, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #4 of 18
I would give the 425s a try considering not much has been said. Ericp tried the SM2s without much knowledge and now they're his favorite BAs, I have a feeling it will be a similar case with the 425s. A bit OT, but I don't know, to me it seems that a dual armature design tends to be more efficient

Aug 22, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #6 of 18

Quote:
I dont think anyone has actually had their hands on the 425 yet. I called Shure & they're still backordered. Judging from my experience w/ the 530's & 420's, and assuming sq hasnt drastically changed w/ the new models, I'd say the cost is probably worth it.

Shure has implied that the 425 has changed even more than the 535 so probably better to listen than assume. I'd agree about the last gen but I don't think it applies.

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #10 of 18
I still own the previous 420s and I can say that the "analytical" sound was a bit bland for me. Not to say I don't like analytical sound, because my current iem's are the re0s...there is just something about the 420s that seems hollow or missing.

Sep 16, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #13 of 18
I received my SE425s 4 days ago. I fear I'm not very good at writing about sound quality, so others might be able to develop more in that respect. Anyway, here are my impressions after a few days of intensive use.

Before owning those, my favorite IEMs were the Shure E4c. They were also my primary IEMs, despite the cable disintegrating slowly for the past two years. Since I've been using the E4c, I've also owned a pair of q-Jays and a pair of Super.Fi 5 (both lost on plains/trains), but always preferred the Shures.

Enter the SE425s. These headphones are amazingly good, but they can appear terrible to a casual reviewer. The reason for that is that a good seal is much harder to get than with any other IEM I've ever tried (including Shure IEMs). On my E4c, I only use the small olive tips. Same with any Shure SE series phones I had the opportunity of trying. The small olives always gave me the best seal. Before Shure came up with the olives, I used the small grey rubber tips, so you could say I have rather small ear canal.

When I tried the SE425 with the small olives, I heard no base whatsoever. Nothing. Knowing there was an issue with the seal there, I started experimenting with other tips. Medium olives give good results, so it seems I "gained" a size. Weird. My best experience till now is with "customized" triple flanges (scissor cut on both ends to make them into short double flanges). But I'm not entirely happy, because micro-phonics are more of an issue with the double flanges than the olives. Ordered some Comply foam tips to try them up. Will let you know how that turns out. It's the first IEM that causes me so much trouble to find a good seal. Keep that in mind when evaluating them. I guess it has to do with the new enclosing, the nozzle sporting a different angle and being a bit shorter than on my E4c.

With a good seal, SQ is very good. With the right seal, it is phenomenal. Rather flat than fun (which to me is good thing), great tight bass, beautifully detailed mids. They give out much more bass than the E4c, but it's all tight, controlled, definitely less boomy than the q-Jays or Super.Fi 5 I used to own. Honestly, don't know how the SE535s can be worth the extra dough, though I never had a chance to try them yet. To me the SE425 are on par with my memories of the SE530s (that I heard last at least 6 month ago, so take that with a grain of salt). Great IEMs. Love them on jazz, vintage rock, new wave, acoustic guitar, where the trademark Shure mids shine. They might be less suited to electronica and hip hop than "funner" IEMs like Westones or UEs, but I find they're still great "all-rounders". Much better in this respect than my E4c which shine on rock, classical and most jazz, but seem rather limited for more bass heavy genres.

Didn't have a chance to amp them. Most listening was done from my run-of-the-mill sound card and occasionally from my 5 year old iPod video.

Anyone else received those? Do your impressions match mine?

Nov 22, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #14 of 18
Thanks for the detailed opinion, tarek. I would love an opinion of anybody who prefers hip-hop and has listened to these. A previous thread that died a while ago was comparing these to the Monster Turbine Pro Gold, which I am now also considering. Anyone? Thoughts?

Nov 23, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #15 of 18
I find the se425's slightly lacking in bass (That's why i'm sending mine to UM for remold and adding of another driver), so if the decision's between the 425 and the 535, i'd go for the 535 just for getting that low end punch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back