Shure SE535 or SE425 for musician?
Oct 11, 2010 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

graffixnyc

New Head-Fier
Hi, I just bought a pair of Shure SE535'S to use onstage as IEM. I'm a bass guitarist so in my mix I will hear drums, more prominent bass in the mix, guitar, keys and vocals. I got the 535's thinking they were the best and top of the line but now I read online in some places the SE425 is better for musician's IEM.  Are the 425's REALLY better in that respect?

Oct 11, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #2 of 7
No. Even though I haven't heard the 425, the difference is the bass response and on stage the bottom is what gets lost in the ambient noise. The 535s should be much better in that environment and show more res at the higher volumes you may need. Looking at the graph, the 425 may be a bit more prominent in the presence range where the guitar harmonics are but the 535 looks fundamentally better and you still need to hear the mix.

Oct 11, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #3 of 7
Whatever you need, you should ask your FOH to mix in more if he can. This is more cost effective than buying another IEM.

Oct 11, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #6 of 7
Has anyone actually listened to both the 425s and 535s?  I have some IE8's I am comparing against the SE425's, I love the fit/cable and most of the sound from the 425's.  But I do love the deeper boomier bass from the IE8s (with the knob all the way up), but I can't stand the fit/feel/cable on the IE8's.. and I'm wondering if the $200 price increase to 535's will make a noticeable/justifiable increase in the bass or not.

Oct 12, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Has anyone actually listened to both the 425s and 535s?  I have some IE8's I am comparing against the SE425's, I love the fit/cable and most of the sound from the 425's.  But I do love the deeper boomier bass from the IE8s (with the knob all the way up), but I can't stand the fit/feel/cable on the IE8's.. and I'm wondering if the $200 price increase to 535's will make a noticeable/justifiable increase in the bass or not.

I haven't listened to the 425s but I own the 535s and I had the IE8s for over a year. The bass on the two are different. The IE8 has very large bass quantity that can sometimes dominate the sound. The 535s bass goes deep, but its not as heavy in quantity. That's not to say the bass isn't there in the SE535, it really is, it just only shows when the music calls for it. Saying that the 535 does have a nice full sound so to me, it never feels like it is overly light.

That said don't by the SE535 expecting bass monsters, instead what you'll get is IMO a balanced iem with bass that goes deep when it needs to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back