**Shure SE425 Review**
Jun 19, 2012 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 84

ostewart

Reviewer at Sound Perfection Reviews
Formerly affiliated with HiFi Headphones
Shure SE425 Review

I would like to thank Shure for sending me this pair of SE425 to review.

I will try and write as honest a review as possible.

I am by no means an audiophile, I love my music and I like to enjoy it through good headphones and speakers.

All opinions expressed are my own, and this is a subjective review, so others may not agree with me.

Gear Used:
iPod Classic 7G 160gb (rockboxed) > Shure SE425 (small olive tip used)
iPod Classic 7G 160gb (rockboxed) > Fiio L3 > JDS Labs C421 (AD8620)

Specs:
Speaker Type
Dual High-Definition MicroDrivers
Sensitivity (1kHz)
109 dB SPL/mW
Impedance (1kHz)
22 Ω
Noise Attenuation
Up to 37 dB
Frequency Range
20Hz – 19kHz

Input Connector
Gold-plated 3.5 mm (1/8")
Cable
64" Detachable (at ear) with wireform fit

Packaging and Build Quality:

Nice simple box, with a window to see the IEM, specs are on the side, with details of included accessories on the back. the front tab opens via magnet to show more info and a diagram showing whats inside the IEM.

The housing is all plastic, but the joints are very good, and being plastic they are nice and light. I love the design of the housing and think the colour is great, a brushed metal colour.

The cable is detacheable which is a nice touch, and at this price point makes sense, the socket clicks into place perfectly, and tighly, so you wont be loosing the drivers when they dangle around your neck. I fear though that the socket will become loose aftter lots of use though.

The cable is quite thick, and has a memory section to help keep it behind your ear. It has a more plastic feel than rubber, the strain reliefs are very well built and the cable looks like it should last.

Accessories, Fit, Isolation and Microphonics

Inside are plenty of tips to get a good seal. with S,M and L single flange silicone tips, S,M and L foam tips + 1 pair of yellow foams, and a pair of medium triple flange tips, also included is a very nice good hard clamshell case, a wax cleaning tool and a 3.5mm to 6.3mm adaptor.

The fit is great once you find the best tip for your ear, i love shure olives as they last a long time and are super comfy. Once inserted properly they are comfortable to wear for a few hours.
The fit is medium depth i would say, not crazy deep like Etymotics, but deeper than most IEM's, they do not fall out of your ears once inserted.
They sit pretty flush in your ears, which means they should be fine for sleeping in too.

The isolation is great, and as these are geared for monitoring on stage so they have to isolate well, perfect for planes and trains and the likes.

I can notice very very slight microphonics sometimes, but they are hardly noticeable as being worn over the ear pretty much takes away all microphonics.

Sound:

Split into the 3 usual catagories, with a conclusion at the end.

Lows:

The dedicated woofer seems to do its job well, with bass that puches when needed with good extension, that still rolls off gently in the sub-bass. The bass is excellent quality in a nice quantity, never overwhelming other parts of the spectrum. It is tight and accurate but also very articulate. The bass can sometimes lack a bit of body and sound a bit hollow (amping helps). Kick drums and bass guitars are separated brilliantly.

Mids:

Shure is well know for its amazing mids, and the SE425 are no exception. The mids are the highlight of this IEM, being slightly forward in presentation (good for stage use) with every detail easily picked out, every breath, every finger on the fretboard of a guitar. The mids are fairly smooth with only a hint of sibilance in the upper mids (track dependant). Vocal sound like the singer is right infront of you, and acoustic guitars seem so real, electric guitars have great power too, never sounding harsh or thin. Excellent control and tone is where its at.

Highs:

This is where i think these dont fair so well, but i'm a bit of a treble-head so take this with a pinch of salt. The highs dont have enough presence for my liking, making them sound a bit too far back in the mix, and also the extension isnt great either, and they decay too quick. The highs just lack some energy, as they have sufficient sparkle and great detail, portrayed in a very realistic manner. I am shure that most will be satisfied with the amount of treble, but i would prefer a bit more presence and extension (you cant have everything)

Soundstage, Instrument separation and Imaging:

The soundstage is impressive, without being artificial. With a great sense of space and depth, with fairly good width too. Height is fairly average.

Instrument separation is very well done with a real sense of air around every instrument.

Imaging is another one of Shures strong points, with out sounding detached the center image is bang on center with all the sound coming in from all over the place, i love the panning of L and R done well.

Tone is generally very good and realistic, with vocals being spot on, even orchestral sounds fine with these.

Layering is a term i have learnt with these, you can pick out every layer of a recording, i was listening to a Deolinda track with male and female vocals at the same time, instead of sounding like 2 voices merged together you could separate each voice so easily with space between the 2.

Amping:

Being pretty sensitive these do not need an amp for volume, but i much prefer the sound with an amp.
Using just my ipod they sound a bit flat and lifeless, but when i use them in combination with my C421 amp they come alive and sing, they are a match made in heaven i think as they are still so detailed but much more fun to listen to, the bass/highs balance is improved, with the bass gaining some body and the highs more defined, without messing up the mids.
I would say amping isnt a must, but paired with the right amp they will sing.

Conclusion:
A very good sounding dual driver IEM, with a mid centric signature that is smooth and easy to listen to, but with all the details that you expect to hear. The soundtage is very impressive and these fair very well with orchestral music. I find these to sound good on nearly all genres apart from the ones that you need heaps of bass for.
Paired with the right amp, they will sound even better.

For the price i'm not shure i can fully recommend them, i would say that if you have the money go for it, you will not be dissapointed if you know what your getting, but with a few TWFK driver IEM's in the sub $150 zone, you may find another that suits your needs and budget better.
The detacheable cable is a very good addition though, and i still think that these would be an excellent buy, and you won't be dissapointed.

I can see these as great for stage use, as they feel very durable, with a mid centric signature for singers and the likes.

I really like these, and I will be sad to be letting them go back to Shure, so i will enjoy the time i have with them.

I hope you enjoyed this review, any comments are welcome with tips to make my reviews better

Tracks Used:
Skrillex – First Of The Year (Equinox) (320kbps MP3)
Paramore – Franklin (320kbps MP3)
Diana Krall – The Girl In The Other Room (FLAC)
Deolinda – Passou Por Mim E Sorriu (live) (ALAC)
Suicide Silence – Unanswered (FLAC)
Massive Attack – Angel (ALAC)
Eat Static – Dzhopa Dream (ALAC)
The XX – Crystalised (FLAC)
Funeral For A Friend – Bend Your Arms To Look Like Wings (ALAC)
Mumford & Sons – Little Lion Man (FLAC)
The Scene Aesthetic – Humans (259kbps MP3)
A Hero A Fake – Swallowed By The Sea (254kbps MP3)
Vivaldi – The Four Seasons, Spring Allegro (ALAC)
Johnny Craig – Children Of Divorce (161kbps MP3)
Deadmau5 + Kaskade – I Remember (Caspa Remix) (320kbps MP3)
Black Uhuru – Utterance (ALAC)
We Are The In Crowd – Never Be What You Want (226kbps MP3)
Silverstein – Discovering The Waterfront (320kbps MP3)
Concept Of Thought – Our Thought (FLAC)
Nirvana – Something In The Way (Unplugged) (ALAC)

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 84
did you not enjoy it?

i may only enjoy it for 4 weeks :frowning2:

but it is quite good, highs could be slightly better, but the mids are the best part so far.

also the comfort is great for 1 hour, but then they start to make my ears hurt now, i think i may need to change to the small tips.

Jun 19, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 84
The mids is the most striking feature of all the Shure IEMs  :)

In my opinion, the se425 sounds really excellent in mids,  and  i suggest the MUSE tips , it has great comfort and it will give the se425 more bass. 

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #5 of 84
updated with full review!

also i found changing to the S olives helped the comfort issue i had.

Comments are welcome

Jul 18, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #6 of 84
Nice review. I just picked up a set of these myself. I find them to be very accurate and quite stunning on most types of music except for most metal where I want more mid-bass impact. Use the SE215's for that genre and they sound great.

The 425's do vocals, acoustic guitars, pianos, violins wonderfully. I am a musician and lower end audiophile that just NEEDS to have the instruments sound as real as possible and these just sound like heaven for the most part. They are so good that great recordings sound unbelievable, good recordings sound great, but bad recordings sound like crap. They reveal too much on these and the SE215's are more forgiving. Many newer recordings have too much treble and are too harsh sounding if there is not much mid-bass to help smooth them over. Courtesy of the loudness wars I think.

All in all a great balanced IEM but I wonder if I should go for the SE535 for a bit more mid-bass impact as long as the mids are as nice as the SE425's?

Jul 18, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #7 of 84
I have a pair of Shure SE215's right now and I'm thinking of upgrading to a higher-end Shure IEM in the future.

Are the SE425's good enough or should I go all the way to the SE535's? I'm just curious about the improvement between the SE215's, SE315's, SE425's, and SE535's.

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #8 of 84
Quote:
I have a pair of Shure SE215's right now and I'm thinking of upgrading to a higher-end Shure IEM in the future.

Are the SE425's good enough or should I go all the way to the SE535's? I'm just curious about the improvement between the SE215's, SE315's, SE425's, and SE535's.

I've been wondering at this as well. I met a person who had the SE535 and asked him how it was. He told me that he loved them and really enjoyed the amount of bass impact they had.

I did have a look at HeadRoom's FR graph though and they are different:

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #9 of 84
I will try and get hold of some 535 to compare one day, but I think the 425 is a very very good IEM. Smooth yet so detailed and natural.

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #10 of 84
I am also thinking of upgrading my current SE215 because i kinda fell in love with JPop and JRock at the moment, and with my Cowon J3, the highs is still unable to satisfy me.
Although the instrument separation finally improved after using it for a year and a half, it still bugs me a lot.

Does SE425 offers nice female vocals?

Sep 11, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #11 of 84
The 425 does all vocals amazingly, vocals just sound very natural on the 425

I will be getting the SE535 soon, so I will compare the two.

Nov 21, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #12 of 84
Now I just ordered a pair of these earphones from EarphoneSolutions with the thanks2012  30% off coupon.
I read and watched some positive reviews for these IEMs, and heard that they are the most neutral of all the SE series. Do you guys agree? And do you think they are suited well for Jazz and Classical music?

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #13 of 84
Yes definately the most neutral, compared to the SE535, the 535 is warmer with wider soundstage, the 425 was still my favourite as it had the most neutral with great presentation of all frequencies, the highs could have done with a little boost (upgrade cables help here)

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #14 of 84
My first experience with Shure wasn't that good. Back in 2008 I started with a pair of E4c which I found very muddy sounding. I sold them with in days to someone here on the forum. Can anyone compare the sound signitures of the SE425 with the E4c?

Also I wonder why there is such a huge treble roll off with most IEMs in general. Perhaps I misunderstand the terms but that is not how I think of "Balanced".

Nov 22, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #15 of 84
There is a slight treble roll off, but the definition and presentation is excellent.

Not all IEMs have treble roll off, but balanced armature drivers have difficulty reproducing both extremes of the frequency range

Users who are viewing this thread

Back