Shure SE425 or SE535?
Dec 6, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #16 of 29
I have both IEMs and I've found that SE535 has a considerably more amount of bass and sound really full and warm, but the 425 still does have a punchy bass.
425 has amazing attack speed when I listened to strings and Lang Lang playing piano.
Both have the detachable cable and you can buy them anytime pretty much I believe it's around $40~50
I don't listen to a lot of bass heavy songs but I don't believe neither would be muddled without EQ
Both the metallic case and clear case are really cheaply made I have to admit and I was really disappointed (so all in all it doesn't really matter just go for the ones you like)
The cables are like a tank, one of the nicest cables - no microphonics, kevlar reinforced, memory wire

BTW: the clear cables aren't really that clear, you can see the silver/copper colored strands inside and after some usage they seem have dulled in luster

Hope this helps ask any more questions if you have any!
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #18 of 29

Quote:
The SE535 sounds exactly the same as the SE530.

I find this hard to believe based on this post: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/497285/shure-se535-reviews-and-first-impressions-thread/45#post_6719316  where Shure is quoted as stating they've tweaked the sound. "Similar" I would probably agree with but saying "exactly" is a stretch. A lot of speculation on this but I haven't yet seen a real A/B comparison of the two.

In my experience, even the smallest tweaks can result in significant differences in perception when it comes to audio.

Dec 8, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #19 of 29
I have had the 530's for about 2 years now and love them to death they are deff a real treat... i just received the se425's that i got for my gf... and i honestly do find the 530's to be far superior the 425's sound warmer and a little too tight not in a good way the 530's have a much more open sound to my ears much airier around the instruments and a lil more natural sounding the 425's are sick dont get me wrong... i find it strange but i dont notice and more extension into the highs and everything just sounds to close together to me... makes me wish i got the 535's for my gf instead but i have to remember this is her first good iem im positive she will be floored by them... they sound great! Got her a black 4gb sansa fuze with an 8gb card to accompany them :) good christmas gift?

Dec 10, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #21 of 29

Quote:
Quote:
The SE535 sounds exactly the same as the SE530.

I find this hard to believe based on this post: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/497285/shure-se535-reviews-and-first-impressions-thread/45#post_6719316  where Shure is quoted as stating they've tweaked the sound. "Similar" I would probably agree with but saying "exactly" is a stretch. A lot of speculation on this but I haven't yet seen a real A/B comparison of the two.

In my experience, even the smallest tweaks can result in significant differences in perception when it comes to audio.

Could, and probably is, a marketing gimmick by Shure to say that they newer one is 'tweaked'. This is probably an attempt to pull people away from the old SE530.

Dec 10, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #22 of 29
the 530s have great mids and lows which are definately better than the 420s, but i really would not suggest spending $500+ on the pair 535s especially considering the fact how the prices of shure earphones drops during sale and as they get older. if you can or plan on spending that amount of money you should definately look into customs

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #23 of 29
Just tried out the SE535 and I own the SE425.

Main difference: SE535 is that it has a better presence of bass and treble, while retaining the same level of mids from the SE425. In short, SE425 has less sparkle and less of a boom.

Is that a bad thing? I don't know. Personally, I like the SE425's sound. The smooth-butter like mids that have details popping up subtly because the mids are just so smooth. The bass isn't exactly bad either. To me, the choice between 425 and 535 would be a difference in merely preference. 535 has a more neutral signature because of the slight boost in the lower and higher frequencies. It also makes it slightly more clinical and less intimate.

Personally, I like the 425 better for an easy session of music. I think these are also the earphones I'd wear when I have a headache.
tongue.gif

However, if you want a clinical session and can't stand the ER4s (or simply want an earphone between clinical and smooth), then the 535 is absolutely the way to go.

Dec 10, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #24 of 29
That's what i was figuring out. Hence my hard time deciding if being an owner of SE420 is it worth shelling out 500 bucks for the SE535 instead of trying another brand (UM3x). I really like the sound of my SE420's and i dunno if some more bass & treble is worth 500 dollars

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #25 of 29
If the 425 has been your primary earphone ever since you got them... I'd encourage you to try another brand or just stay with it. I think at the point of SE425, this is where you are more "side-grading" than "upgrading", even though SE535 is technically superior than SE425. And this won't be the only case with SE535. It'll be the same for UM3X and any other earphones of their range and quality. You'll basically be swapping one set of strength for another and swapping one set of weakness for another. So, hopefully you'll find your ideal set one day. :)

Dec 26, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #26 of 29
Been away a long time, and just dropped into head-fi to check out the shure line up. I like the look of 425s (yes call me shallow) haha so I wanted to do some research.
Here is a nice youtube vid comparing the 535 and the 425 at CES. Some good descriptors there - but of course could be BS as it is coming from a shure rep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlEdI77Ig3s

Have always been a big fan of the shure 500s etc, so it is nice to see some advancements!

Jun 16, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #28 of 29
Sorry to bring back such an old thread but I didn't want to pOst a new one.
I bought the shure se425 at my local audio store with a deal that I could exchange them (with extra money) for the 535.
Money at this point really isn't an issue but I don't want to buy both.
I love the treble and mids of the 425 but I would also much like the advantages of the 535.
From what i heard the 535 has better soundstage and bass while keeping the mids and treble of the 425. If this is true that would be fantastic, can someone help me out?

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #29 of 29
I recently got my SE425s a couple of days ago, after a prolonged, arduous process of returning the SE215 to the merchant.
The sound was definitely a slight upgrade from the 215s. But I find the sound too constraint or tight, sort to speak, it's almost like razor sharp sound piercing through my ear canal. after 3 hours of listening, it starts giving me headache. 
My question is, how do these stack up with the bigger brother, se535s? Are there any huge difference in sound wise?
Is this a worthy of an upgrade to the flagship model? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back