Shure Se215 vs Sony XBA-3 vs Yamaha EPH-100
Dec 12, 2012 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Googolplex147

New Head-Fier
Title says it all. I listen to practically everything, and what I'm mostly looking for in sound is richness, soundstage, and overall handling of all sounds, as well as good build quality. I can get them for a fairly similar price, so that's not really a factor.

Dec 14, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #3 of 19
XBA-3 all the way!!! Speaking from a proud owner of XBA-4 [a lot of people here claim the XBA3 & 4 sound similar if not even better than XBA-4!] I can easily hear every single detail in the music!

If you can wait for a while, the XBA-10/20/30/40 is/are coming soon! I heard better SQ than their predecessor!

Just my 2cent :)

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #4 of 19
The Yamah EPH100 are better sounding because better imaging, instruments separation, soundstage and shows great details in music with tight punchy bass and overall sound more crisp, rich and detailed.

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #5 of 19
XBA-3 all the way!!! Speaking from a proud owner of XBA-4 [a lot of people here claim the XBA3 & 4 sound similar if not even better than XBA-4!] I can easily hear every single detail in the music!
If you can wait for a while, the XBA-10/20/30/40 is/are coming soon! I heard better SQ than their predecessor!
Just my 2cent :)

Do you know when exactly they are coming?

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 19
Have you ever heard about the recently released JVC HA-FXZ100/200? Seems like there's a lot of positive feedback! http://www.head-fi.org/t/632273/jvc-ha-fxz-100-200/420

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #8 of 19
Do you know when exactly they are coming?

It is now out on amazon now :) however, not sure if the price are reasonable enough :)
XBA-30: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBA-30-Balanced-Armature-Headphones/dp/B00931SBYO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355527319&sr=8-1&keywords=XBA-30

XBA-40: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBA-40-Balanced-Armature-Headphones/dp/B00931SCO8/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355527476&sr=1-2&keywords=XBA-40

Just FYI, Japanese version of these XBA's cords are shorter than the others. Connecting it to your device that is in your pocket might need an extension cable(no worries, it's included).[Personal experience] :)

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:
Just my 2cent
smily_headphones1.gif

Am I right to say that pretty much of the XBA line is considered bass heavy?

Dec 15, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #11 of 19
The EPH-100 are a tier above the SE215 for sure, to my ears. Owned both. Haven't heard the XBA-3s (ordered them recently), but it seems rather well-liked and is probably also a tier above the SE215.

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:
have you heard the xba3? i doubt the yamahas can compete with their separation...

Yes i have XBA3 with Sony S series walkmen and they are not amazing IEMs but still pretty good, if you know the Micro dynamic front port IEms then you know they offers supperior clarity, much better imaging, instruments separation and wider soundstage with strong bass and Yamaha EPH100 is great in that regard. BTW i prefer Klipsch Image X5 over XBA3 because they share almost same soundssignature but X5 are better in many ways.

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #13 of 19
well... thats hard to believe. its three BA vs a dynamic, would be like saying the yamaha could beat the TF10 in separation. And soundstage?
I will have to get a pair and try for myself.

EDIT: I hope all those who vote actually heard all 3...

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #14 of 19
EPH 100s are the most natural sounding of all three. Soundstage is impressive, but yields to XBA-3s. The lows have plenty impact, the mids are perfectly clear and balanced, neither dark nor bright. The highs are quite smooth and very listenable, but as a result the sparkle is basically absent. These have the best isolation here and are the most comfortable earphones here.

XBA-3s have the best soundstage of all three, and the best overall extension (especially the treble), but the bass doesn't seem to go as low as the XBA-4s (it's still very low though). At the mids, however, the XBA-3s beat the XBA-4s, sounding much more balanced and full than the XBA-4s. I loved the highs on these, sparkly and pronounced, yet not nearly as harsh or sibilant as Sony's EX600s could tend to be. As it is a balanced armature based IEM, it tends to sound unnatural, a little worse than even other BAs, but not as bad as the XBA-4s. Good isolation and comfortable to wear for long periods of time.

SE215s, if you can get all IEMs at around the same price, are what I recommend staying away from. They have the fullest, warmest mids of all the IEMs here and can produce nice male vocals, but not WOWing enough to make this better than the others here and not nearly as good as the other Shure IEMs. The other IEMs have much better clarity, with mids much cleaner and pleasanter than those of the SE215s. The soundstage is decently wide, but the others are clearly better. The bass has good impact, but doesn't go as low as the others. The treble doesn't extend very well at all, but what's there is good enough. Isolation is probably as good as that of the EPH 100s with the Shure Olive tips, but are noticeably uncomfortable to wear for too long.

The safest bet here would be the EPH 100s, but the XBA-3s would also be a great option at this price. My advice would be to not get the SE215s since you can get them all in the same price range.

(I currently own the EPH-100s, SE215s, and XBA-4s and have had a good amount of time with the XBA-3s to note my impressions).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back