Shure se215 vs Phonak Audeo 012, need help, buying tomorrow!!
Jun 6, 2011 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tuliphead

New Head-Fier
Im a newbie but have narrowed it down to these two,
Whats the main differences between these two and which would you recommend???
Im after punchy bass and clear lively sounds thanks

Jun 6, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 8
The SE215 has more bass for sure, but I found that I liked the punchiness of the 012 more. The SE215's bass is slightly unrefined and uncontrolled compared to the 012. Also, the highs are much clearer with the 012's while the 215's have more forward mids. I wouldn't call the 012's mids recessed, just that the 215's mids are typical Shure in your face mids.

Ultimately, to me, they are both very close in terms of sound and I'll pick one of the other arbitrarily (well, the Shures were sent in for replacement, but that's another story). Build quality wise, I'd still go with the Shures, even though there are some problems with them cutting out, as the 012's have thin, rubbery, tangly cables while the Shures are built like a tank. I'd say that both are about equal in terms of comfort as well. Both also have great customer service and 2 year warranties as well.

In the end, they're both very similar and it really depends on whether you want quality over quantity in terms of bass, and whether you like the mid-centric Shure sound or are more concerned with detail and sharper highs. I don't think you can go wrong with either but you haven't really gone into detail about exactly what kind of sound you're looking for...

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 8
How much bass do you want? If you want big bass with a good amount of warmth (~200-400Hz boost) then pick the se215. If you prefer a lighter hitting though more detailed bass that still extends all the way down to 20Hz pick the PFE. Personally, while I do find my PFEs bass light, the problem can be remedied somewhat with an equalizer. And is made up for by the excellent mids, highs, and especially the great dynamics.

Jun 7, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks guys! I currently use Soundmagic pl30's but want a much bigger less sterile sound?? I dont really know how to describe what i want but from what i've read and what you guys have said im leaning towards the shures.... The only problem is i hate the thoughts of the really long cable as ill be using them with my iPod.  Any other thoughts appreciated!! Thanks

Jun 7, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #5 of 8
If you're using them with your ipod, I suggest going with the Atrio Xs.  Big clear bass that is much more refined than the SE215s...plus they have a model with the ipod control/mic built in, all for 80 bucks.  I can't recommend them enough to people looking for bass under 80 bucks. Hell, for anyone looking for bass under 150 dollars for that matter...and I've tried them all.

Jun 7, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #6 of 8
The Atrio X is basicly the old MG5 atrios. and i´ve had both PFE 012 and old Atrio M5.
the PFE trumps the atrio in accuracy and speed. the atrio is a bit more open. both are equaly punchy

Jun 7, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
The Atrio X is basicly the old MG5 atrios. and i´ve had both PFE 012 and old Atrio M5.
the PFE trumps the atrio in accuracy and speed. the atrio is a bit more open. both are equaly punchy

I don't know about that...the MG5 in the Atrio X seems to be only slightly behind the MG7 Atrio overall.  And the bass is significantly more pronounced than and clearer than in my PFE 012 (green and black filters).  I have a feeling the Atrio X MG5 driver has been tweaked a bit because it was every bit as impressive as my MG7 Atrio (so much so that I sold the MG7).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back