Shure SE215 v. Shure SE315
Mar 31, 2011 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

kpoz

New Head-Fier
I searched the forums, including the Shure SE215 thread, but could not find an adequate comparison of the Shure SE215 and the Shure SE315. All I found is that the dynamic driver in the SE215 is more "fun" than the armature driver in the SE315. Can anyone provide me with more information? Is the SE315 worth the extra $100.00?

I currently own the Shure SE210, which I have had for about a year. I love the sound isolation provided by Shure earphones and the mids are great on the SE210 due to the armature driver, but the highs and bass leave something to be desired.

Mar 31, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #2 of 23
I don't think too many head-fiers have heard the SE315 yet. I read a Cnet review of the 315 and the reviewers weren't too impressed. I think they said it has a lot of bass but the mids and treble weren't that good. I think the 215 is one of the better dynamic iems I've heard under $100.

Mar 31, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #3 of 23
I have not listened to the SE315's but I was not too excited about a single driver BA monitor. To my mind, dynamic drivers have been improved substantially and a single driver dynamic will likely give me a much more balanced sound. Once we start to get into dual and triple drivers then I feel the BA's can be much better tuned to each specific frequency band and offer more discreet individual sounds hopefully properly balanced to reproduce the original very accurately. I just received my 215's but am pretty excited about having such an affordable quality product with dynamic drivers.

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #4 of 23

Quote:
I have not listened to the SE315's but I was not too excited about a single driver BA monitor. To my mind, dynamic drivers have been improved substantially and a single driver dynamic will likely give me a much more balanced sound. Once we start to get into dual and triple drivers then I feel the BA's can be much better tuned to each specific frequency band and offer more discreet individual sounds hopefully properly balanced to reproduce the original very accurately. I just received my 215's but am pretty excited about having such an affordable quality product with dynamic drivers.

[size=medium]
So, your opinion is that the dynamic driver in the SE215 will offer better sound quality than the balanced armature driver in the SE315?

I currently have the SE210, which has an armature driver, but I am not that impressed with the highs and bass produced by the SE210. 

I guess I am now leaning toward the SE215.
[/size]

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #5 of 23

Quote:
I don't think too many head-fiers have heard the SE315 yet. I read a Cnet review of the 315 and the reviewers weren't too impressed. I think they said it has a lot of bass but the mids and treble weren't that good. I think the 215 is one of the better dynamic iems I've heard under $100.

Just read the CNET review. Not favorable, indeed.

Mar 31, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #6 of 23
I can't compare the 215 and 315 because I only own the 315.  I'm happy with the sound.  I would take CNET reviews with a grain of salt.

I find the 315's to have a pretty balanced sound.  They aren't as bright sounding as my Grados, but they certainly aren't dull sounding.  The bass is not prominent, but it is certainly there and is well defined.  The build quality is amazing - sturdy cord, sturdy pivoting connections at the earpieces.  I'm very happy with the sound and construction.

Mar 31, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #7 of 23
I can't compare the 215 and 315 because I only own the 315.  I'm happy with the sound.  I would take CNET reviews with a grain of salt.

I find the 315's to have a pretty balanced sound.  They aren't as bright sounding as my Grados, but they certainly aren't dull sounding.  The bass is not prominent, but it is certainly there and is well defined.  The build quality is amazing - sturdy cord, sturdy pivoting connections at the earpieces.  I'm very happy with the sound and construction.

Good to know. Thanks for your help.

Apr 4, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #9 of 23
i have never tried any shures
i have the 215's coming wednesday

i think i'll be happy with the $65 purchase,  probably the BEST bang for the buck EVER     
dt880smile.png

Apr 4, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #10 of 23

Quote:
i have never tried any shures
i have the 215's coming wednesday

i think i'll be happy with the $65 purchase,  probably the BEST bang for the buck EVER     
dt880smile.png

If you got the 215 for $65 I think you will be quite happy! I paid $100 and I'm nowhere disappointed for the price. It just keeps sounding better and better to my ears for the price. I think it's one of the best dynamic driver iems I've ever heard (not the best and not top tier, but close). I just seems to do everything just right and gets you focus - as many have said already - on the music.

Apr 18, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #13 of 23

Quote:
I would like to know that too.. been looking for some deal on the 215s.. any info will be appriciated thanks.

Just so you know, Guitar Center has a coupon offer, $10 off. I just placed the order and it was less than the original price, tax and shipping included. You might want to check that out. You gotta hurry up, though! The offer closes today, the coupons are available upon request.

Apr 18, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #14 of 23
Never heard the SE315, but I tried the SE215. There's a big spike at around 5kHz that give a harsh, one-note sound to things like cymbals. I didn't like them and all and exchanged them for a pair of UE 500, with which I'm rather satisfied. I expected much better from a pair of ~$99 headphones. I find the UE 500 to be better, and they go for less too.

May 10, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #15 of 23

Quote:

There are many high end iem that are single BA setup, sounds just as good as multi driver iems, such as Grado GR8/10, Ortonfon e-Q5/7, Final Audio (the line up), and many more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back