Shure SE215 no bass?
Apr 5, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #61 of 121

Quote:
And now a 2nd pair of 215s have died on me.  Left ear just went out without warning 8(  I'm going to do a replacement with Shure next week but I'm going to start thinking about other options...

It's really strange. I've recommended these so many times but none of them ever broke.

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #63 of 121

Quote:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/measurement-and-audibility-headphone-break
This is the most comprehensive testing I've ever read about being done on the phenomenon of burn in.

However not all headphones change sound due to burning-in while there are others that do. And you know frequency graphs aren't the most accurate when it comes to sound. 

Apr 5, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #66 of 121
Meh, boomy bass gets boring to me quickly. Deep and controlled is the way to go.

I don't trust FR graphs because I don't know what they mean from an actual scientific point of view..

Apr 5, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #67 of 121

Quote:

It's really strange. I've recommended these so many times but none of them ever broke.

Maybe its just bad luck.  They had QC issues early on and these are an earlier pair.  I'm going get them replaced but its disappointing to have it happen a 2nd time.  I really do like the sound.

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #70 of 121

Quote:
^you sure? I have heard that shure cables break a lot. I am about to buy a pair of SE215 (im from philly!), but im worried about the cable.

The cable is kevlar and pretty good quality from what I can see. The only potential problem is the connection between the IEM Driver Unit and the cable...

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #72 of 121
SE215 has some decent bass, but at the expense of mids and highs. Like many others. Maybe there's just so much an engineer can do in tiny quarters and they have to put the sound somewhere on the ramp of low to high.

Apr 5, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #73 of 121
This is a very strange thing. The SE215 which I bought from Amazon was produced in Nov of 2011 according to the sticker. And this set is the set that i feel like it does not have a very strong bass according to most reviews here on head-fi.

I have recently bought another pair of SE215 from another vendor since I had a 20USD off coupon. This set is made in Sept of 2011 and the second i put this set in i noticed the bass. Is it possible that Shure does not have a straight across tuning process when making these SE215s?

My buddies also tested these two sets and agreed with me.

Anyone else had similar experience?

Apr 6, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #74 of 121

Quote:
SE215 has some decent bass, but at the expense of mids and highs. Like many others. Maybe there's just so much an engineer can do in tiny quarters and they have to put the sound somewhere on the ramp of low to high.

Agree, the highs does not extend as much as I would like them to be. But the soundstage is fairly nice. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back