Shure SE215 no bass?
Jun 21, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #91 of 121
I just got my Se215s in the mail and feel they are severely lacking bass as well. My JVC marshmallows actually sound better overall right now, though the clarity on the shures are better. Since everyone seems to say they have plenty, I'm wondering if I could have received a faulty pair as well. Think I might send them back next week, either for a replacement or refund. I really like them overall though so hopefully replacement works out and fixes it. I listen to mostly hip hop or drum & bass so this is a necessity. 

Jun 21, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #92 of 121
I feel they lack in the sub bass.. Granted I'm comparing them to my Atrio's.. :xf_eek:

I mainly use my SE215's in the gym listening to Trance EDM on Pandora. They sound good to me for that purpose... :D

Jul 16, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #93 of 121
Received my replacement pair of phones, cost me $9 for shipping. Excellent improvement over the first pair. I do believe people have to watch for bad drivers in these or something. 

As of 30 hours burned in, I love them, and they sound the way music should sound. Nice pair of $100 phones, time will tell how they stand up to rough use they'll get. 

Aug 11, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #94 of 121
wow seems like i wasn't the only one whom received a faulty pair.

I actually went out to Fry's and bought my third pair and A/B/Ced all three and concluded the first pair received from Amazon was faulty. I returned that one. Now I am left with 2 SE215 in the spirit of science, and experiments.

Aug 11, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #95 of 121
Can't believe that I re-bought these; SE-215's were my first serious IEM after having gotten Klipsch S4i a while back. S4i's been in a drawer for a long time. Out-of-package listen to the newly arrived SE-215 was brief but impressive (beginning of a Bhudda Bar III tune with rich dynamics.) Burning the 215's in now. Part of my interest is to see how SE-215's compare with my recently gone Hifiman RE-262, known for it's mids and a lush, sweet sound signature. (RE-262 I traded in to Hifiman plus cash to upgrade to RE-272.) (If I can't compare from memory, then I might have to re-buy the 262!) 
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 26, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #96 of 121
I just purchased these Monday and have used the advise here about using the foam tips and getting a good seal very helpful. I thought they lacked bass until I finally got the fit and seal right.
Coming from the Bose IE2 it took some time to get used to the quality & clearity of the bass. I'm not sure about burn in though do notice a difference in sound, might just be my ears adjusting to a different way of listening to music. Seperation is much better, the mids and highs no longer hurt my ears at higher volumes. I listen to mostly metal and these have performed beyond my expectations. These are my first IEMs, I'm enjoying the sound isolation, I live in the "crash Zone" near a marine air base and fighter jets are constantly flying over my house. I've used them out side in the yard and can now listen to my music even at low volume without the very high dbs put out by these fighter jets. The longer I listen to these IEMs the more I like them.
smile.gif

Sep 30, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #97 of 121
When I first bought my se215 I thought the same thing. I felt overwhelmed by the treble and mids and wanted more bass. After using them for about 2 weeks I began to love the sound. It just takes a bit of getting used to. I was coming from the Bose IE2m, which definitely have more quantity of bass. The se215s have great quality bass. I really didn't notice any change after the burn in process. Maybe a bit less harsh highs but nothing very noticable.

Oct 2, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #98 of 121
I enjoy listening to metal on the Shure's. The bass is awesome and not over powering as with the IE2s. I'm using the with a Sana Zip clip right now, just got my replacement Sony Walkman S764. I need to load it up with some music so I can test it out.

Oct 2, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #99 of 121
I have both the IE2 and the Shure SE215, both are good, however I prefer my Shure, It´s bass and kick is amazing, I use them with the small foam tip and it´s perfect. I listen to Metal, Djent, Metalcore, electronic, drum&bass, jazz, classic and instrumental. very good for all types. However I still prefer my grado GR10 for classic and instrumenal music.

Oct 3, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #100 of 121
I've been reading up in the IEMs and seems a lot of people suggest the Grado for Metal. I still have my IE1s I use at work, they seem to have better bass than the IE2 also sound a little more balanced. There was a big design change in the casing that to me changed the sound. They sound tighter than the IE2s. I use the SE215s most of the time now, still haven't got that many hours on them, less than 100. I've been looking at the Grado, may be my next purchase, if not maybe the Turbine pearl. I need to do more research.

Mar 4, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #101 of 121
I just got the SE215 today and I have the stock eartips that came with them (I think Medium foam). Coming off of LCD-2, HE-500 and D2000, these are definitely not bass light. Quite a good bass punch so far.

I tried them with my IPad and Blackberry cellphone and it was dead silent. With Macbook Pro headphone output jack, I am getting a low hum. Will try it later with O2 and Fiio E10 to see how they respond. Overall so far they feel and sound good.

Jul 13, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #103 of 121
I eventually got the bass figured out and used the foam tips, also started to not listen for the bass where I think it should be. This solved the issue and they have been good IEMs for starters.

Nov 2, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #104 of 121
Took me awhile to like these as well. Good seal is crucial! I am currently switching between these and my Gr07 from Vsonic. They both sound good paired with my new dx80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back