Shure SE215 no bass?
Mar 5, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #16 of 121

Quote:
hey guys, i just bought the 215's, and i am one of the very few around here, who is not really impressed with them, even after about 100 hours of burn in... thinking of buying an e6. you think it's worth the 30? will it change stuff? i need more bass and more empowering and warm sound.

Do you have a good seal?  Good refers to nearly totally isolated. 215's with olives are supposedly one of the most isolating setups around. Also, if the fit is bad, there goes your bass.

Mar 20, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #17 of 121
I also have very similar experience with the SE215.

After reading all the positive reviews about this Dynamic Driver equipped headset from Shure providing good bass I decided to go for it.

Most of my IEMs are in the dynamic family, MMDT, MMDTrumpet, IE8, IE80, CX200, CX300 II, CX475, CX500, Grado10....so I thought I'd give Shure's dynamic driver series a try to see where they are with this with high expectation.

Had it for about 2 weeks now. My first impression with this set was a bit disappointing with the bass. While it has good and clear mids, the bass was "lacking" comparing to my other dynamic driver IMEs.

To some level, I feel like the SE215's bass is equivalent to the SE210 which has a single balanced armature. I am pretty sure I have a good seal using the mid size foam tips which came with the set.

Can someone share their comparison of the SE215 with the SE210?

Mar 26, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #18 of 121

Quote:
I also have very similar experience with the SE215.

After reading all the positive reviews about this Dynamic Driver equipped headset from Shure providing good bass I decided to go for it.

Most of my IEMs are in the dynamic family, MMDT, MMDTrumpet, IE8, IE80, CX200, CX300 II, CX475, CX500, Grado10....so I thought I'd give Shure's dynamic driver series a try to see where they are with this with high expectation.

Had it for about 2 weeks now. My first impression with this set was a bit disappointing with the bass. While it has good and clear mids, the bass was "lacking" comparing to my other dynamic driver IMEs.

To some level, I feel like the SE215's bass is equivalent to the SE210 which has a single balanced armature. I am pretty sure I have a good seal using the mid size foam tips which came with the set.

Can someone share their comparison of the SE215 with the SE210?

Really? I found it really bassy. Not something any balanced armature could come close to. Maybe you should try burning it in?

Mar 26, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #19 of 121
Quote:
Really? I found it really bassy. Not something any balanced armature could come close to. Maybe you should try burning it in?

I have been burning this set for over 300 plus hours by now. I leave it on my DAP or sometimes laptop day and night playing different songs and alternate white and pink noise. Just trying to cover all range. While, minor improvement is noted, nothing drastic yet in my journey with dynamic IEMs.

What are the BA (or even dynamic based) IEMs which you used to compare against the SE215 for bass?

Maybe I am comparing the SE215's bass performance to a group of dynamic IEMs different than others; hence, the difference in opinion and definition of what strong bass sounds like.

So let me begin by clarifying my comparison scale.

I have been listening to dynamic IEMs like the IE8, MMDTrumpet, S4, CX200, CX300II, CX495, CX500, OCX880, MEelectronics M6, AKG 340. I feel SE215's bass is not as strong comparing against the above mentioned. (but by no means lacking bass)

In my impression that dynamic driver IEMs generally = strong bass. But I feel like the SE215 is tuned more for mids performance.

With that said, IMO the SE210 has a really good bass (on par with the SE215) for a single BA set up.

Has anyone A/Bed the SE210 and SE215? care to share some experience as well?

Mar 26, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #20 of 121

Quote:

I have been burning this set for over 300 plus hours by now. I leave it on my DAP or sometimes laptop day and night playing different songs and alternate white and pink noise. Just trying to cover all range. While, minor improvement is noted, nothing drastic yet in my journey with dynamic IEMs.

What are the BA (or even dynamic based) IEMs which you used to compare against the SE215 for bass?

Maybe I am comparing the SE215's bass performance to a group of dynamic IEMs different than others; hence, the difference in opinion and definition of what strong bass sounds like.

So let me begin by clarifying my comparison scale.

I have been listening to dynamic IEMs like the IE8, MMDTrumpet, S4, CX200, CX300II, CX495, CX500, OCX880, MEelectronics M6, AKG 340. I feel SE215's bass is not as strong comparing against the above mentioned. (but by no means lacking bass)

In my impression that dynamic driver IEMs generally = strong bass. But I feel like the SE215 is tuned more for mids performance.

With that said, IMO the SE210 has a really good bass (on par with the SE215) for a single BA set up.

Has anyone A/Bed the SE210 and SE215? care to share some experience as well?

Hmm, I am comparing the SE215s to the 315s, 425s, 535s and pretty much all the Westone universals. Well, the bass is for sure not at good as the S4 or IE8. And that list are all super bassy ones. Well, you know it, it's Shure, they are known for their mids more than highs and lows. I tried the SE210s before as well. But I feel the SE215 is more bassy, just not as impactful. 

Mar 27, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #21 of 121

Quote:
Hmm, I am comparing the SE215s to the 315s, 425s, 535s and pretty much all the Westone universals. Well, the bass is for sure not at good as the S4 or IE8. And that list are all super bassy ones. Well, you know it, it's Shure, they are known for their mids more than highs and lows. I tried the SE210s before as well. But I feel the SE215 is more bassy, just not as impactful. 

I have never heard the 315  and 425. The 535 I've only had the chance to audition it one time in at a music booth in a book store for about 3-5 minutes so I wouldn't even call that a true experience yet.

So in your opinion, you'd still say the SE215 out perform the 535 in bass?

Mar 27, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #22 of 121

Quote:
I have never heard the 315  and 425. The 535 I've only had the chance to audition it one time in at a music booth in a book store for about 3-5 minutes so I wouldn't even call that a true experience yet.

So in your opinion, you'd still say the SE215 out perform the 535 in bass?

In quantity. The SE535s bass is quite clean although more impactful. 

Mar 27, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #23 of 121
Once I got a proper fit the bass of the SE530 (SE535 same thing) really was quite deep for a balanced armature and was impactful enough. I'm comparing this to a TF10.

Mar 27, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #24 of 121

Quote:
Once I got a proper fit the bass of the SE530 (SE535 same thing) really was quite deep for a balanced armature and was impactful enough. I'm comparing this to a TF10.

The SE535 is a little different though, less bass with more impact and a less rolled-off highs. Really? I thought the TF10 were a lot deeper, but maybe it's because I was trying the foam tips on the SE530s. 

Mar 27, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #25 of 121

Quote:
The SE535 is a little different though, less bass with more impact and a less rolled-off highs. Really? I thought the TF10 were a lot deeper, but maybe it's because I was trying the foam tips on the SE530s. 

I was using a pair of Atrio Bi-flange tips. Sorry I didn't mean that the SE530 was a lot deeper, it just felt that the SE530 felt quite deep once I got a good seal. The TF10 also go deep but have more quantity than the SE530.

Mar 27, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #26 of 121

Quote:
I was using a pair of Atrio Bi-flange tips. Sorry I didn't mean that the TF10 was a lot deeper, it just felt that the SE530 felt quite deep once I got a good seal. The TF10 also go deep but have more quantity than the SE530.

I see, that seems true... but I hate bi-flanges (LOL), though I do actually like tri-flanges. 

Mar 27, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #27 of 121
I get an unbelievable amount of wax stuck on my bi-flanges even if I clean my ears everyday. But I'm getting the SE530's remolded by UM (should get them back next week). Hopefully I get that magical seal that only the bi-flanges gave me. I absolutely hated the sound with any other tip/foam.

Mar 27, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #28 of 121
these pack quite alot of bass and i am coming from a atrio mg7

Mar 27, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #30 of 121

Quote:
I get an unbelievable amount of wax stuck on my bi-flanges even if I clean my ears everyday. But I'm getting the SE530's remolded by UM (should get them back next week). Hopefully I get that magical seal that only the bi-flanges gave me. I absolutely hated the sound with any other tip/foam.

Great. Well, customs should be the best fit otherwise. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back