Shure SE215 no bass?
Nov 29, 2011 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 121

NovaFlame112

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, 

I just bought a pair of Shure SE215's from my local retail store earlier today. I plugged them in and played some music, and I was impressed as to how clear they sounded in both the high and mid range. However, I am not noticing any bass whatsoever. I may get punchy bass (sort of), but the low end stuff is simply not there (I can't hear the bass in dubstep for instance). When I break these in will I start getting better bass? I've got a good seal going on, I'm using the small silicon ear buds so I'm not sure what's going on. 

Thanks! 

Dec 17, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #3 of 121

Quote:
Hey everyone, 

I just bought a pair of Shure SE215's from my local retail store earlier today. I plugged them in and played some music, and I was impressed as to how clear they sounded in both the high and mid range. However, I am not noticing any bass whatsoever. I may get punchy bass (sort of), but the low end stuff is simply not there (I can't hear the bass in dubstep for instance). When I break these in will I start getting better bass? I've got a good seal going on, I'm using the small silicon ear buds so I'm not sure what's going on. 

Thanks! 

I'm looking to get the same headphones for portable use.

Please update the thread with your impressions :)

Dec 17, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #4 of 121
Something is obviously wrong since the 215s are bass heavy.  Probable causes of this problem:
  1. Too strong of a seal creating a near-vacuum in your ear canal.  This would also cause your headphones (or one side) to sound mute.
  2. Weak seal doesn't allow the bass to extend deep into your ear.
  3. You aren't focusing your listening to the right spot.  You are expecting the bass in this frequency range, when in reality it's in another.  Solution to this is simple, don't listen for the bass body, feel the sub-bass.  The bass body will only create some sort of presence, but the actual sub-bass is what you seek.

Dec 25, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #5 of 121
I also think the SE215s are bass heavy and at times the bass line does overwhelm the vocals. Try the various tips until you find the correct signature you are looking for.

Dec 25, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #6 of 121
I guess an important question to ask is what headphones he's coming from.  If he's coming from the Beats, for example, everything will sound bass light.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 26, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #7 of 121
Since they are dynamic drivers, you may need to burn them in. And these are very bass heavy phones, they may be lacking impact compared to other phones, but the bass certainly isn't lacking. 

Dec 26, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #10 of 121
Whether you believe in burn in or not, telling him that isn't helpful because these IEMs have a lot of bass and if he's not hearing it that either means they're defective or they're just not being worn properly (most likely).  IEMs need a very good fit so make that those small silicon tips are big enough to seal.  I bet they're not.

Dec 26, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #11 of 121
They should have bass regardless of burn in...  Burn in isn't some miracle drug, honestly.  It can only do so much... 

@OP: check your seal again, remember, you don't hear bass, you feel it. 

Dec 26, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #12 of 121
I'd like to echo what was in this thread,
1) burn-in:  I don't think they need much, 5 - 8 hours on the high end.
2) good seal: absolutely essential.  I have noticed that when I have one side not seated quite properly the difference is huge. 

I've described my SE215 as having 'tonsil-tickling' bass when listening to dubstep, for example.

The SE215's are really easy to drive, so I don't think the player should make much of a difference (I drive mine off my Android phone, or off the PA2V2, though they don't really need the amp).  I'd say the bass is a bit cleaner and fuller off the amp, but they have had plenty of bass off everything I'd driven them off.

Hope you get it sorted out!

Dec 26, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #13 of 121
I dont't think it is the burning in issue seroiusly coz it's not gonna change from no bass to bassy.

IMO, the Shure SE215 is considered a pretty bass heavy earphones. So likely to be the seal or you might want to think that it is a faulty unit.

Mar 5, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #15 of 121

hey guys, i just bought the 215's, and i am one of the very few around here, who is not really impressed with them, even after about 100 hours of burn in... thinking of buying an e6. you think it's worth the 30? will it change stuff? i need more bass and more empowering and warm sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back