Shure SE215 IEM Issues - Cutting out audio?
Oct 8, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #16 of 43
I had the same sorts of issue with the SE215's as noted above.  Sound would cut out in the left ear periodically and/or when wiggling the cable.

I detached the left cable and discovered that there was substance which appears to be a very thin oil on the male portion (cable end).  I disconnected the right one too and found the same substance on the connector.  The coating was actually so thin that the only way I could tell it was there was to run the tip of a finger along the metal and then look for a reflective patch.  I used a q-tip to wipe down both connectors before attaching the wires again and having a listen.  So far I'm almost 40 hours of use later with no dropped audio.

If It crops up I'll post here, but removing the "oil" from them cleared mine right up.

Oct 8, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #17 of 43
yah, my left earphone crackles and cuts out too. really bad quality, ill never buy shure anything again.

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #18 of 43
No sooner did I make the above post than the left ear started cutting out again.

Disconnected and applied slight pressure to the pin itself, and all is well.

Add me to the list of those who have solved the issue with pin-tweak method!

Nov 2, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #19 of 43
Same problem here with my SE215 cables. I have sent them back to Shure for warranty repair/replacement. They have been very attentive so far, but I haven't received anything back yet. Having read so much on Head-Fi about faulty SE215 cables, I did ask the pointed questions about what the source of the problem is and what they have done to solve it permanently. Unfortunately, they ignored the questions, leaving them unanswered and the problem unacknowledged. I just hope that whatever they send back will be an improvement and a final solution.

Nov 2, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #20 of 43
Follow-up question:

In researching the above-mentioned issue with my Shure SE215 earphone cable connections, I thought I read somewhere that, for whatever reason, the problem has been much less prevalent in the clear version over the black version. Is there any truth to this? If so, I think I will ask to have my black 'phones replaced with clear ones. Please advise. Thanks.

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #21 of 43
less than a month with the clear ones and the left side started to fade out...i can find a spot on the cable to move around to get it to work...contacted shure they would replace under warranty...but less than a month!!!

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #22 of 43
hello, just recieved SE215 yesterday and I also have problem with left cable - when moving the cable sound is cut off or I hear static - there is slight similar effect on right side but left is much more prevalent. I was suggested to send them back to warranty but I don't want to wait so long. 
Is there any hack how to make them correct? I did not understand how to correct the pin - could somebody make more detailed manual what to do about the pin? 
I have clear ones so that it is not related to color:frowning2: 
And are there any that will last? Or each one of them has this problem?? I had CX300 before and they lasted 4 years without problem and they were 1/2 cheaper that this - so it seems I had made a bad deal so far with Shure..

Feb 1, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #23 of 43
Uhh guys, I had a Shure SE215 as well, bought it from Jaben 3 months ago before my sad Cube C30 fried the left driver. Anyways, the guys from Jaben also mentioned that this cutting off is normal because when twisted in some position the cable may not be connected to the driver because of the swivelling mechanism. =\ Hope this helps?

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #24 of 43
Does anyone one of you still have them? Because I broke my pair's left earpiece(as you can on my pic), but I still have the waranty. All i need is an earpiece that LOOKS ok (not broken like mine). So I would be very interested in buying the left earpiece; this would really help me

Aug 10, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #25 of 43
Yep 2 weeks ago my right driver gave out. sending them back in for a replacement, i am planning to buy an upgrade for the cable. You guys think that would work out better?

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #26 of 43
I purchased a pair of black SE215 last Friday.

Unfortunately i had left channel dropouts when walking. Hence i returned them and asked for a refund since it's obvious to me that there's a design flaw and instead of dealing with it i'd rather put my money on some iems that allow me to just listen to the music.

It seems that Shure is never able to get the cable right.

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #28 of 43
Quote:
Yep 2 weeks ago my right driver gave out. sending them back in for a replacement, i am planning to buy an upgrade for the cable. You guys think that would work out better?

no imo its a design flaw with the connector that gives the shures line this problem. replacing the cable is still going to yeild the same connector.

Mar 26, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #29 of 43
I have the exact same problem with both of my touch screen iPods... But I'm not sure it's the fault of Shure. I have the SE215 and have tried them in multiple computers, my mixing console, and my wife's classic iPod and they work absolutely fine. I feel like it might be a problem with the materials used in the new iPods or the microphone components... Thoughts???

Jun 12, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #30 of 43
Moving the pin on the wire end worked perfectly for me thanks.

I used a very fine set of tweezers to pull the pin slightly of centre and hav not and any issue since

Thanks

Shafro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back