Shure SE215 break in period??
Mar 29, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 24
I didn't notice as much break in as with previous dynamics (HJE900 in my case).  But I gave mine a good 30 hours before being too critical of them, YMMV

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 24
so to break in what exactly do you do?

just plug in and shuffle playlist?,  various types of music?
non-stop, 24+ hours,?   what volume?  louder than you'd listen at?   etc

thanks everyone

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 24
just use the?
i guess,  but i don't have em yet

but i THINK you suppose to push them louder/harder..

and i don't know about you but i can't listen to them for 24+ hours....i do work you know

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 24
I'm a big proponent for breakin using the files in my signature at slightly louder than comfortable levels but like nadsta I did not notice a huge change with these. They do change a bit though.

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #8 of 24
Well what is normal break in etiquette? As i have stated before this is my first pair of anything but crap earbuds and i am trying to learn things. I dont think it would be healthy to just leave them playing non-stop for a day would it?
Quote:
so to break in what exactly do you do?

just plug in and shuffle playlist?,  various types of music?
non-stop, 24+ hours,?   what volume?  louder than you'd listen at?   etc

thanks everyone

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #11 of 24
This is pretty subjective and there are lots of opinions- thus the lack of uniform answers here.  I would say play them overnight (~8hrs) at normal listening levels.  Then listen to them.  See if you notice any changes.  Repeat.  Two or three nights should be fine.  It's a curve; so if there is some true break-in going on, it should hopefully level off after a few days of break-in.  Otherwise your IEMs will never stop breaking in. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #12 of 24
If you can dowload the files in my signature they have a combination of white pink and brown noise will a 10 minutes silence period built in per hour to give your IEM a break as they are broken in. I would get them both and just set them to loop and leave them over night and see what you think. If you like it and notice a change do that for 2-3 nights and then just play regular music for a couple more nights. Fifty hours will be pleanty with these I think. The only etiquette you want to adhere to is to not crank these up super loud and then leave them playing noise or music at that level as that can damage them potentially.

Mar 30, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #13 of 24
I would say just use them and experience the changes as they break in.  I just purchased a pair of 315's (very similar to the 215's) and was *very* dissapointed by the sound intitially.  After about 3 nights of listening (6 hours total), the sound really improved.  After about 24 hours of listening now, they are amazing!  What I find interesting is that Shure's website states in their FAQ that there is no break-in with these earphones.  Whether it's the armeture or the foam breaking in, I have no idea, but there was a very pronounced and definite improvement in the SQ after a good number of hours listening.

Mar 30, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #15 of 24

Quote:
and then there is also the psycho acoustic question of breaking your own ears in to the sound sig of your new iems...

Before my Grado SR-225i's and these Shure headphones, I was of that thinking.  In this case, I was switching between my SR-225i's and the 315's.  The difference was so pronounced I'm certain that there wasn't a significant psycho-acoustic factor at play.  I was also fully ready to put these back in their box and ship them back, so it wasn't a self-fulfilling prophesy either (i.e. a case of "I wanted them to sound better, so they eventually did").

I went through a similar experience with my Grado SR-225i's which was more subtle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back