shure se 846 is there any warmer iem than it
Feb 13, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #19 of 22
I just had the chance to compare a few iems prior to buying one.

My conclusion, and solely my conclusion based on what i heard and is in no way discounting what other people views are.

1. Shure 846 are bright I couldn't stand them (these are neutral filters though and I didn't bother changing the filter.
2. Layla's are too damn accurate and neutral that it didnt excite me.
3. Roxannes are recessed.
4. fitears mids were recessed.
5. I still love my 1964ears v8's and senn ie800 (balanced) and i mostly like dynamic driver iem's due to my impression that they sound more natural. I dont intend to start anyhing on dynamic vs balanced armature, but this is my preference.
6. I bought jvc fx-1200. After all the comparison.
(I have to thank derek and kin from hk for this)

To original poster -- while i do appreciate the difference in tunings of the iem's i am lured back to the 3 iems mentioned above and i seem to recognize that my taste in music, mainly rock, folk rock, some vocals influence my choice.
From the impressions you shared, i think you may want to check out the ie800's and jvc fx-1200 as these are readily available... It would be best if you're able to listen and compare.

Good luck in your journey. Hopefully you find your iem.

Update: oh my, this is >6mos old. Oh well. Hahaha.

Feb 13, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #20 of 22
No brainer.  Westone Pro 50 is a warmer SE846 with a smoother, lusher midrange.  Bass is slightly MORE pronounced on Pro 50 as well but not out of control or bloated.  Just very muscular with amazing SLAM!

(Someone mentioned IE800 above??   NOOOO!!   It is pretty smooth but much brighter and cooler than SE846).

Feb 13, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #21 of 22
  No brainer.  Westone Pro 50 is a warmer SE846 with a smoother, lusher midrange.  Bass is slightly MORE pronounced on Pro 50 as well but not out of control or bloated.  Just very muscular with amazing SLAM!

(Someone mentioned IE800 above??   NOOOO!!   It is pretty smooth but much brighter and cooler than SE846).

I'll agree with Spyro on the Pro50 - it is smoother, warmer and has equal bass punch - both are excellent - mids are just forward on the 846....

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #22 of 22
Westone ES5/50 can be recommended for that. ES5 has very similar signature with added warmth and technical capabilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back