Shure SE-530 VS Sennheiser IE8
Jan 30, 2009 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

m0rpheus04

New Head-Fier
Ok guys, I'm new around here, even though I've been reading this forum for ages now.

I've been wanting to buy a pair of IEM's for a while now, and have narrowed down the options to those two: SE 530 and IE8.

Both the SE-530 and IE8 are at the same price (from where I buy, 530's are 14 dollars more), and this really tripped me.
I have never had isolation problems due to the size of my ear canal, so that won't be a problem.

What I'm asking is a comparison between the two, concerning sound. I'm a complete bass-head, love those delicious sub-bass frequencies, but also enjoy those spine-chilling highs. (most of the time I listen to electronica (drum'n bass,trance) /hip-hop music.)

Help me decide between the two. Which do you think I should purchase, given my musical preferences and the fact that they are the same price?

Jan 30, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #2 of 26
well the 530's are comfortable but for sound quality especially for you taste I would definitely suggest ie8's over 530's I use comply's with my ie8's btw I think those allow for the best seal.

Jan 30, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #3 of 26
To me IE8 has the overall better sound quality (if burned in). If you are a bass-head then there is no question anyway. S530's bass is very good, but IE8's is magic. It will blow you away.

Jan 31, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #5 of 26
I would pick IE8
You some high quality bass in those genre

otto

Jan 31, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well the 530's are comfortable but for sound quality especially for you taste I would definitely suggest ie8's over 530's I use comply's with my ie8's btw I think those allow for the best seal.

which comply's are you using? and for comparison's, which tips that came with the ie8's were you using and in what size? for the stock ie8's, the large silicon tips are the best fit for me but they defintely are not the best seal i've ever seen. the comply website suggests t400 which only come in one size???

Jan 4, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #7 of 26
Sorry to butt in here with my first post, but I have the same question as the OP. I am deciding between the two (530/ie8). I mostly listen to old school punk, classical, indie folkish music, etc. no real heavy bass needs I don't think. Could you tell me which of the two are more comfortable for small ear (I dont like feeling violated in my ear canal too much), which are better made (more durable, long lasting), and which one I should buy?!

sorry again for butting in but I didn't want to start a whole nother thread for the same question....

Thanks in advance

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which would be better for J-Pop, specifically female vocal tracks.

It's a toss-up between the two. I listen to mostly J-Pop, and I find that the Shure's (when I tried them out) had better accentuation of the female vocals and was more clean/polished, while the Sennheiser IE8s brought out the harmony between the female vocals and the music and sounded more lively/energetic.

@m0rpheus04: For your tastes, definitely IE8s. The bass response will be perfect for your genres of music.

@JTD131: Well, the IE8s are known for their comfort, but they also are not nearly as isolating as the SE530's. If you don't want your ear canal violated as much, the IE8s are definitely the better choice in that department.

Seeing by your music, I would say that either one would serve you better. However, for some acoustics and guitar, the IE8s do seem to give that bass slam that makes things more lively whereas the SE530's will make you hear every detail in pristine clarity.

As for durability, the IE8 cables are kevlar reinforced, and so far there have not been any cable issues (at least on this forum) concerning IE8's durability. Shure seems to have a problem with their cable wearing out every 8 months - 1 year or so, but their warranty covers for that easily.

At the end of the day, the decision is up to you. A lot of it depends on music taste and simple sound signature preference. They each have different personalities though, I would definitely say.

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by JTD131 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info. Can you use the Shure 530's with the iphone (with the shure adapter?)? That may be the deal breaker for me. Anyone know or have experience?

I think the SE530PTH (push-to-hear) version can do that. I haven't used it with an iPhone so I am not 100% sure.

Needless to say, I enjoy my IE8s and I think that the SE530's have something missing when it comes to the impact of bass and breathing before singing, both of which the IE8s seem to produce more naturally and effortlessly. Their soundstage is also superior to the SE530's--they sound more like big cans rather than IEMs. That's why I chose the IE8s over the SE530's, for the wide soundstage, bass impact, and natural vocals (the vocals don't sound too prominent or like they have a spotlight on them, which can get fatiguing).

Jan 4, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by zardos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me IE8 has the overall better sound quality (if burned in). If you are a bass-head then there is no question anyway. S530's bass is very good, but IE8's is magic. It will blow you away.

I'd also recommend the IE8, contrary to what some may have said the IE8s highs do extend very well and often sound sparkly (to my ears). A lack of treble definition was one of my worries prior to getting this.

Zardos I see you own both the IE8 and the JH13. From your post I assume you still listen to the IE8s. Is there something the IE8 does that the JH13 doesn't do? I always got the impression that if I ever got the JH13 my IE8s would never see the light of day again...

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by JTD131 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered both, we'll see which one I send back! Thanks for the info guys

Wise decision
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #15 of 26
Thats what I have heard, is there any particular genre or volume level I should use to burn them in? I planned on just pluggin them into my computer for days.. any suggestions or things to avoid?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back