Shure SE 425/535, westone 3/ UM3X/ 4, Sennheiser IE8(0), UE TF10, which one?
May 17, 2012 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

BamBoomBots

New Head-Fier
Having read an enormous amount of reviews about all of these, I just can't decide which one to pick. I hope that there are people in here who have owned a few of these, and give me a more clear view on isolation, comfort and sound quality.

From what I know, is that I prefer either an IEM which has a V-shaped sound signature or a neutral analytical one as described below:

If on a scale from 1 to 10, with 5 completely neutral and 10 extremely heavy on that part of the sound (1 being rudimentary), I'd like a sound signature (order: bass-mids-treble) of about 6.5 - 5 - 6,or 5-5-5 so I can easily equalise the source to the sound I like.

I usually listen to house, dance, a little rap, but sometimes i'm in a mood for either classical or guitar music. Therefore I'd like the IEM to be a little all-round (which means: not raping any genre)

I'm not that picky on comfort (I adapt to a different shape quite easily), but I do prefer an IEM which can be worn over-the-ear (due to usually long listening sessions). I'm not into looking like a derp when wearing an IEM though, so it shouldn't look too ridiculous when I'm wearing it. 

The isolation of an IEM depends on your own ears, but as long as a normal conversation is hard to comprehend ( sometimes my parents are full of ********). I don't have high demands on isolation.

Cables are mostly fine, as long as it doesn't gather a lot of dust on itself and doesn't snap while looking at it.

I'm going to listen to it from an Samung Galaxy S3 smartphone (it had an wolfson audiochip I thought), maybe it's going to be amped by an FiiO E11 (cheap and cheerful), or, if I feel more like spending, an Headstage Arrow HE12.

If there is any on-ear headphone which does exactly this, that is an option too. 

(Note that I'm not a native English speaking person, I apologise for any mistakes I might have made).

May 17, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 32
I would strongly recommend the w3 or possibly um3x.

I have owned all above and my favorites are those two and the se535. Their price premium is not worth it imho though because i still find their sq slightly inferior to w3/um3x and i HATE the ridiculously lng and thick stock cable.

TF10 i would avoid due to very poor fit.
W4 is a bit too neutral and boring imho.
425 has great mids and good for vocals, but it has a limited range overall.
IE8 has poor isolation so its not easy to use on the go.

Between the w3 and um3x there are a few differences.

W3 is a bit more fun, energetic, good bass, sparkly treble, good mids. Bad point is no removable cable and slight midbass hump. Comfort, isolation, and bq are ver good.

Um3x has better detail and seperation, but a small soundstage and slightly closed in sound. Their signature can be a little more difficult to get used to.

For the genres you like, i really think w3 would be the safest bet. They are fun, but still relatively balanced and they are a great deal if you can get them online at a discount! (just use an authoried dealer!)

May 17, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #4 of 32
i went 530 to W3, after using them both for a long time i went back to the 530. 

the midbass hump is really annoying if your used to the 530 (very similar to the 535), having said that, the 530 mids are its bread and butter so i'm not sure how much good that does ya. W3 has a bit more bass than the other BA's listed though.

out of your selection, my vote goes to the UM3X/535/TF10.

having not heard it, i'd still personally get the TF10 and call it a day. (they are like sub 200 now?)

my2c

May 17, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #5 of 32
Quote:
Having read an enormous amount of reviews about all of these, I just can't decide which one to pick.

Oh I've been there, I think a lot of us have...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBoomBots /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not that picky on comfort (I adapt to a different shape quite easily), but I do prefer an IEM which can be worn over-the-ear (due to usually long listening sessions). I'm not into looking like a derp when wearing an IEM though, so it shouldn't look too ridiculous when I'm wearing it. 

That will rule out the excellent but "derpy" :) Sony MDR-EX1000's.

Quote:
The isolation of an IEM depends on your own ears, but as long as a normal conversation is hard to comprehend ( sometimes my parents are full of ********). I don't have high demands on isolation.

Isolation for most high-end earphones are generally pretty good.

Quote:
Cables are mostly fine, as long as it doesn't gather a lot of dust on itself and doesn't snap while looking at it.

Since you didn't mention specifically that you needed replaceable cables, your options are greatly increased.

Quote:
(Note that I'm not a native English speaking person, I apologise for any mistakes I might have made).

Well definitely and A+ for a mastery of written English then if it's not your native language.  I never would've guessed it and I can usually spot it a mile away.

Oh, headphone suggestions, Westone's for sure in the 3 line.  You'll put them on and you'll be in a different place (and that's a good thing).

May 17, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #7 of 32
sorry to hijack the thread!  
smily_headphones1.gif

Im also looking at similar options...

With the BA type earphones I have had in the past, bass has generally been good in terms of quality, but lacking in quantity (bass head levels not required)

So far it seems out of the many BA options available, the w3/um3x seem best suited to me, especially since their comfort levels are meant to be fantastic!

Anywho, genres i listen to are alternative and most types of EDM.

Which of the w3/um3x have more bass? Obviously don't want them to be 'too' bass heavy or muddy. Does that sound like the w3/um3x?

If so, which is best suited to me? And which is better as a 'non-fatiguing' option?

Id love to audition some, but it doesnt seem like anyone in Melbourne stocks Westone. Jaben seemed like my only option, but they dont stock them!

May 17, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #8 of 32
I'd suggest the Westone 3s.  The 535 and the UM3X are very mid-centred, which is the opposite from the v-shaped signature you're seeking.  The TF10 is one of the more widely known v-shaped somewhat high-end IEM, and the IE8 is known more for its bass, although it's also sort of v-shaped.  Keep in mind the shape of the TF10 which can cause fit issues, and the IE8 doesn't have the best isolation because it's vented.

The UM3X and the Westone 3 are not similar in sound signature.  The UM3X is warm and much more mid-centric.  Westone 3s have a slight v-shaped signature, but are overall more balanced than the TF10, but they have more bass than the UM3X if that's what you're looking for.

May 17, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 32
The more reading I do of the 2, the harder it gets to choose. Yes, it seems the w3 has a slight v shaped signature, while the um3x seems to be more balanced, so both still jump out at me.

Um3x seem to be better built and easier to fit?

I guess it comes down to, Which of the two would be less fatiguing? 

It sounds as if im leaning more towards the um3x, but I really am not sure. I do listen to other genres of music too, its just I havent updated my playlists in a long, long time haha. Its getting a major overhaul very soon!

May 17, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #10 of 32
TF10 or W3, you might have more fit problems with TF10, but W3 has a lot of midbass that I didnt care for.

May 17, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:
The more reading I do of the 2, the harder it gets to choose. Yes, it seems the w3 has a slight v shaped signature, while the um3x seems to be more balanced, so both still jump out at me.

Um3x seem to be better built and easier to fit?

I guess it comes down to, Which of the two would be less fatiguing? 

It sounds as if im leaning more towards the um3x, but I really am not sure. I do listen to other genres of music too, its just I havent updated my playlists in a long, long time haha. Its getting a major overhaul very soon

Neither are particularly fatiguing, but I'd say the UM3X is definitely the less fatiguing of the two.  The treble is toned down slightly because it's designed for hours of constant use by stage performers.  The fit is very similar between the two, and if you have average ears you shouldn't have problems with fit or isolation etc.

I listen to quite a wide variety of music, and I have yet to encounter a genre the UM3X doesn't handle excellently.  If you would like some of that treble back, it responds well to EQ as well.

May 17, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #12 of 32
This is an informative thread.
I too am in the market for a replacement for my PFE 112s.

I am trying to decide between the Westone 3 and UM2.

I mainly listen to 80s hard rock which is loaded with highs and melody.
My source is a Cowon S9 which I use to play FLAC files exclusively.

The following is very important:
How durable are the Westone 3 IEMs compared to the Westone UM2, and the PFE 112s? I am very active when using my earphones and need a reliable pair that can withstand strain and moisture (sweat). I need a new pair of IEM's that will perform flawlessly for many years. I've gone through 2 pairs of PFE 112s and am on my 3rd pair which Phonak provided via Warranty replacement. The PFE 112's inability to withstand strain is their Achilles heel! I deserve better. :)

Thank You.

Milan

May 18, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #13 of 32
Shure SE535.

May 18, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #14 of 32
Why is everyone recommending the SE535 when he explicitly stated he wants a v-shaped sound signature?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back