Shure SE-215
Jun 1, 2011 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ubertastic

New Head-Fier
I just bought a pair of these and they were delivered today, great stuff! However, I can't for the life of me manage to remove the primary cable nor the sleeves. I'm afraid to put too much pressure on the driver itself, and I have no idea how to get the sleeves up without tearing them up. The instruction booklet is next to useless, providing only picture directions.

Any help?

Uber

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 8
I've read in the forums that it helps to put them in the freezer for 10 minutes or so and then try again.

Hope this helps.

Jun 2, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #3 of 8
Put them in a plastic bag, suck the air out, and put them in the freezer for about 3 minutes.  They should not need any longer.  The olive tips will go firm, and then you can gently rotate them, and they should come off easier.

This is the method I used for my SE425's and it works well.

They should only need a few minutes.  I see 10 minutes quoted a lot - but I for one wouldn't want to take that sort of risk with the internals .....

Oct 8, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #5 of 8
my friend broke his se215s because he tried taking off the tips in the winter when it was cold.. he figured the cold make the plastic brittle.

Oct 8, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #6 of 8
If you don't like the freezer idea you can try prying it out with your fingernails. Just grip the bottom with your fingernails and twist and pull. I know it sounds weird but it works for my se535s. 

Oct 9, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #7 of 8
yea I'm resorting to that. you shouldn't have to pull it out too often right? I get worried when I see my exertions have flattened the poor olives.

Feb 26, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #8 of 8
just want to thanks you guys for saving my earphones. i want to say for the future buyers of the Shure XX#15 line that the freezer solution works 100%, i just unboxed my 215s and could not remove the olives.. remembered that i had saw this thread when checking out reviews. so i put them in the freezer for 7 minutes, works perfectly! THANK YOU!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back