Shure SCL4: A Quick & Dirty Review For A Clean Sound
Feb 17, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Had to comment on your observation on the Custom 3s vs. the X10s. I owned both (still have the X10s) and I would not say the C3 SQ is better than the X10s. Different? Yes. Better, no? I liked the Custom 3s, in fact, and found them almost as comfy as the X10s. But in the end, I preferred the X10 sound and sold the C3s. I also own the W3s, which are serving as my over the ear phone.

But as to the decision to get the Custom 3s over the Shures at twice the price, I say the extra comfort is worth $80, considering you note that to get the right seal, the ECL4s need to go deep, much like Etys or AL 716s. To some, that is not comfort, but torture. Not everyone, mind you, cause I like the 716s too. But to me, the Klipsch comfort factor is worth its weight in $$$. So yakuzaph not to worry. If you do like the Custom 3 sound, you didn't make a mistake considering the comfort issue.

Also, if Shure is selling the ECL4s to clear space for new products, how come the black ones are still expensive? Just wondered what the logic is in terms of only deep discounting the white ones relative to your conjecture that they are getting ready to release new models (not that I doubt it, but what would be the logic in discounting only one color?).

I dont understand this thing about deep insertion. I just pop the scl4's into my ears and they are good to go.

I the biggening as a newbie i just popped in the hf2's and was not satisfied with the sound so i tried to insert the ety's deeper ( as suggested) but they wouldnt go any further and it was very painful {as some 5mm from the opening the width of my ear canal drops to 3mm diameter }.

So do you guys recommend that i insert into the 3mm canal.

Feb 17, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by kkreiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont understand this thing about deep insertion.

You will when you're older.
tongue.gif

Quote:

I just pop the scl4's into my ears and they are good to go.

I the biggening as a newbie i just popped in the hf2's and was not satisfied with the sound so i tried to insert the ety's deeper ( as suggested) but they wouldnt go any further and it was very painful {as some 5mm from the opening the width of my ear canal drops to 3mm diameter }.

So do you guys recommend that i insert into the 3mm canal.

If you're getting a comfortable "vacuum-like" seal, that's far enough. Only go as far as you can while still comfortable. Wouldn't want to puncture anything you shouldn't.
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by kkreiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont understand this thing about deep insertion. I just pop the scl4's into my ears and they are good to go.

I the biggening as a newbie i just popped in the hf2's and was not satisfied with the sound so i tried to insert the ety's deeper ( as suggested) but they wouldnt go any further and it was very painful

I'd say it really depends on your ear canals. How did you measure your ear canals 5mm into your ear by the way?
tongue.gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #35 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shimmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say it really depends on your ear canals. How did you measure your ear canals 5mm into your ear by the way?
tongue.gif

Its not very scientific but i took some ear buds and stripped them off the cotton,a little bit at a time, until i was able to enter the ear canal.

I measured this to be around 3 to 4 mm.
biggrin.gif

Oh! another thing, i use the "medium" grey silicon tips and find them to be very comfortable, I know that the shure olives are well recommended and are said to help with the bass but they feel uncomfortable.

i want to lisen to music as the artist intended,so i think achieving a flat eq is my aim.I know that the scl4 is bass deficient and has strong mids. Right now i am using the Win media player and slightly increasing the eq at 60hz and 8khz as a loose grouping.

Any recommendations on eq settings and alternative suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Mar 15, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #39 of 42
I totally agree with your review findings ...

A great set of IEM's and perhaps one of the best values in the IEM market ...

I only slightly preferred my SE530's over the SCL4's and that was a "Fun Factor(tm)" issue ...

I found the SCL4's to be more accurate across the board, though ...

Thanks for the write up!

May 6, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #40 of 42
How do these buds compared to Klipshe Image X10? The price here in the UK are comparable. I really like Shure's design as I'm a fan of E4C, but the X10 do look promising!

May 6, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I totally agree with your review findings ...

A great set of IEM's and perhaps one of the best values in the IEM market ...

I only slightly preferred my SE530's over the SCL4's and that was a "Fun Factor(tm)" issue ...

I found the SCL4's to be more accurate across the board, though ...

Thanks for the write up!

Well that just goes to show contrasting opinion which can arise

I linked earlier to my other posts, including a lengthy comparison with the UM2 which I can reduce to three words why I finally sold the E4G: bass, fit and ergonomics

I have previously owned the UE super fi.5 Pro (also sold) and have since branched out to the HD600 and ESW9. Still perplexed by the bass rating of 4 stars and 5 stars on this thread, as well as high marks for fit and comfort

Quality and quantity are two different things, but they combine together for that desired sound. I would not dream of saying the UM2 is perfect so surprised that this review is making such a clear assertion

I know I'm not the only one to sell the E4C/G for the same reason(s)

May 14, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #42 of 42
I have an E4C, I use them at work listening to voice over for animation now becoz their cables cracked. As my first pair of expensive IEM (bought it at $199 back then) I hated them at first but slowly loving them till today I find shure's is my prefered sound signature.

Using SE530 now and I still put on my good old E4C for certain music from time to time, just to have a taste of their better highs again.

E4C are the IEMs that changed my listening habit (from benig a basshead) and made me demand on balanced quality sound.
wink.gif
I wish to hear SE310 if theres a chance since some claim they have better bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back