Shure SCL4: A Quick & Dirty Review For A Clean Sound
Jan 6, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #19 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mmmm..you have the Nuforce NE-7M...surely a comparison is on the cards?

I am planning reviews for the Nuforce NE-7M and the ADDIEM (Apple Dual Driver In-Ear Monitor) within the next week. At that point I am planning a specific comparison of the ZAGG Z.Buds, the NE-7M, and the ADDIEM against each other.

As to the Shure SCL4, the sound quality of the SCL4 beats any of the three mentioned above by a very respectable margin, if that's what you wanted to know. Maybe after I fully review the Nuforce NE-7M I'll have more thoughts on it vs. the SCL4.

Jan 6, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #20 of 42
Jan 6, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am planning reviews for the Nuforce NE-7M and the ADDIEM (Apple Dual Driver In-Ear Monitor) within the next week. At that point I am planning a specific comparison of the ZAGG Z.Buds, the NE-7M, and the ADDIEM against each other.

As to the Shure SCL4, the sound quality of the SCL4 beats any of the three mentioned above by a very respectable margin, if that's what you wanted to know. Maybe after I fully review the Nuforce NE-7M I'll have more thoughts on it vs. the SCL4.

I agree. The SCL4 is much better than the ADDIEM and NE-7m.

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #22 of 42
I had mine shipped to my school address, so I didn't have a chance to try it until last night.
Hmm.. yes, annoying package, like the E2. Nice accessories. I don't like the cable length. I am 5'8", the cable is way too long. I had to wind up almost a foot of cable make it look natural. Coming from the UM1, I really miss the braided cables. The shure cables seems twice as fat. For those who like to hear a little lullaby before they go to sleep, the SCL4's not too bad.
Regarding sound quality, it's much more clearer than my UM1. It's much more forward, and brighter. It sounds a lot better than the UM1. Although I don't like the white color, I'd say it's a good purchase at $79.

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have the E4C and also use the NE7M a lot.

The e4c has much better SQ but for my everyday commute, the NE7M is more than good enough and is much more convenient.

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:29 AM Post #25 of 42
I placed my order through Musician's Friend back 12/18/08 at same minute I saw the price tag as $79...
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by faichiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which website did you place the order?
I place order on musicfriends and still backorder.........
frown.gif

Jan 7, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #26 of 42
For that price I think I'll buy 2 pair and a black Sharpie.

Yesterday I trashed the right earbud of my E4C's in a not quite empty cup of coffee... laid them down behind my laptop and forgot the cup was there, came back a few hours later and can barely hear anything from that bud.

Jan 7, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #27 of 42
How do these compare to the se210? I gave those to my wife as I was disappointed in their sound, much preferring my pk3s. I like the fit and finish of the 210s better than the pk3s, and are considering the scl4s, hoping that they sound better than the 210s but with the research I have done so far, not sure if that is the case. Again I enjoy the pk3 sound signature, but would like more detail and instrument separation. The 210s had some of that but lacked warmth and and seemed rather flat. At twice the regular retail of the 210s, they should be better?

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #28 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do these compare to the se210? I gave those to my wife as I was disappointed in their sound, much preferring my pk3s. I like the fit and finish of the 210s better than the pk3s, and are considering the scl4s, hoping that they sound better than the 210s but with the research I have done so far, not sure if that is the case. Again I enjoy the pk3 sound signature, but would like more detail and instrument separation. The 210s had some of that but lacked warmth and and seemed rather flat. At twice the regular retail of the 210s, they should be better?

The SE210 and SE110 are known for being somewhat lackluster Shure products. The SCL4 is nearly (not quite) equivalent to the SE310, which is what some believe the first good product in Shure's current line. I'm personally happy with the amount of warmth and life in the SCL4, as well as the instrument separation (which is better than anything I've heard in the sub-$100 range and a fair shot better than a number of phones in the $100-$200 range). The detail is definitely good with the SCL4. The only phones I have that really compete in detail are the Etymotic HF5 and the Image X10 (a bit less than the HF5 though).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topmounter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For that price I think I'll buy 2 pair and a black Sharpie.

Yesterday I trashed the right earbud of my E4C's in a not quite empty cup of coffee... laid them down behind my laptop and forgot the cup was there, came back a few hours later and can barely hear anything from that bud.

Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet!
k701smile.gif

I'd let your E4Cs dry out for a couple days before you give up on them completely.

Jan 21, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #29 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, if Shure is selling the ECL4s to clear space for new products, how come the black ones are still expensive? Just wondered what the logic is in terms of only deep discounting the white ones relative to your conjecture that they are getting ready to release new models (not that I doubt it, but what would be the logic in discounting only one color?).

Shure has discontinued making the white ones. The black ones remain a current product. This is independent of any new models.

Probably the big boss at Shure said something like, "Get that inventory off the books," rather than, "We need that space in the warehouse."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back