Jan 6, 2009 at 6:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Taikero

500+ Head-Fier
[size=large]Shure SCL4[/size]

ShureSCL4EarFront.jpg
ShureSCL4WithWire.jpg
ShureSCL4EarClose.jpg

[size=xx-small]Yes, I know I need to shave.[/size]

[size=xx-small]Thanks ClieOS for the review format which I shamelessly stole from version 2 of your IEM shoot out.[/size]
Variation: E4C, E4G
Available Colors: Black, White (White being phased out as of December 2008)
Availability: International
Transducer: Single Low-Mass/High Energy Balanced Armature Driver with tuned bass port
Spec: 29Ω (@1kHz) | 109dB SPL/mW | 22 Hz ~ 19 kHZ
Cord Style: Y-cord, thick, solid structure at Y-junction
Mini Jack Style: {┏━} style, heavy-duty jack
Eartips Used: Small grey softflex. Others tried: Medium grey softflex, white triflanges

Physical Properties:
┣ Packaging: ★★★☆
┣ Accessories: ★★★★☆
┣ Build Quality: ★★★★☆
┣ Isolation: ★★★☆
┣ Microphonics: ★★★★★
┣ Comfort: ★★★☆
┗ Quick Sum: Annoying package to get into. Even with a good pair of scissors, I had a frustrating time of it. I was scared for a minute I was going to accidentally slice the IEM cord since I couldn't see it (hidden behind two layers of packaging). Accessories are nice, including more tips than you can shake a stick at. Included is a very solid 1/4" headphone jack, replacement SCL4 nozzles, 1 set of large foam tips (Complys?), 3 different sizes of Shure Olives, 3 different sizes of Shure grey SoftFlex tips, and 1 set of white triflange tips. The build quality on this thing seems solid, from IEM enclosure to the very sturdy-feeling cord, other than the nozzles on the IEMs. I'm worried I'm going to snap them sometime while swapping tips (This has happened to others in the past). I've also heard of the cord splitting for many Shure customers across a variety of models, but I'm hoping Shure fixed that by the time the SCL4 rolled around (or maybe by now if they changed the cord at a later date). There are no obvious build defects with my particular unit at this point. Isolation is okay on the SCL4, but nothing special. It'll do but won't amaze like an Etymotic would. The microphonics (or lack thereof!) are excellent with these! If I didn't mind running with expensive IEMs, these would be a top choice for their lack of isolation (gotta' hear those cars) and the way the cord makes almost no sound when rubbing against other material. The comfort is fine, but may irritate some who dislike IEMs which are invasive (like Etymotic). If you don't insert the SCL4 quite deep, you won't get a good seal and the sound will feel hollow, empty, and bass anemic (More on that in a minute). As an update, Klipsch "gel" tips fit the SCL4. Talk about comfortable!

Sound Dominance [size=xx-small]For clarification, these ratings simply illustrate the general sound signature of this IEM, nothing more. This has nothing to do with the quality of the sound.[/size]
┣ Treble: ★★★★
┣ Mid: ★★★★★
┣ Bass: ★★★☆

[size=xx-small]All critical listening done through my PC using foobar2000/Winamp with ASIO output or my Sansa Fuze. No equalizer or other sound modification was used. Files ranged 128 kbps to FLAC for a fair assessment of a variety of bitrates and how forgiving the SCL4 is with lower bitrate files.

This is unrelated to the review, but for those of you who own the Shure SCL4, I have included a foobar2000 equalizer preset which slightly adjusts the sound. This will bring the bass up a couple notches, drop the mids down a hair, and add some shine to the treble. I feel the adjustments this preset offers help the SCL4's overall sound. If you don't end up liking it, don't use it. I am simply offering this for your enjoyment and curiousity: foobar EQ Preset Shure SCL4 - FileFront.com[/size]

Sound Quality:
┣ Treble: ★★★★
┣ Mid: ★★★★☆
┣ Bass: ★★★★
┣ Soundstage: ▆ ▄ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▄ ▆ [Good]
┣ ABF: Unknown [No amp available]
┣ Overall SQ: [4.17 / 5]
┗ Quick Sum: The sound quality here is truly excellent, with a sound signature leaning on the warm side of neutral. Mids, being Shure's specialty, are fully fleshed out and clear. I think they may be a bit too forward, which is why I dinged the overall quality half a star, but the rendition is superbly done. Instruments come through loud and clear, and vocals aren't lost behind them or feel like they're in the background. Highs are beautifully detailed, if a little rolled off in favor of a warmer sound signature. Cymbals sound great but feel like they're taking a back seat in representation, as if they were a few feet behind the drummer or he's hitting them softly. My only true gripe with the highs is the slightly detectable amount of sibilance. I don't notice it if I'm not listening for it however, so it's not a deal breaker. Where the SCL4 surprised me the most was in the bass. There had been a number of users who complained about the lack of bass here, but I found that once I got a proper seal the bass came through quite well. Just to prove it, I threw on some hip hop for a while (Specific song example from my playlist: Ginuwine - Pony). While the SCL4 won't vibrate your skull quite like the Future Sonics Atrio M5, it renders bass accurately and with "just enough" thump that any genre can be listened to enjoyably, if not ideally. True hip hop lovers should probably stay away, as they'll be disappointed when listening to their favorite genre (I know most of you like to feel your ears bleed
biggrin.gif
).

The SCL4 is very good at accurate reproduction of sound overall, but I've found that accurate reproduction comes at a cost, as low bitrate files sound rather lackluster, with the lows and highs especially emphasizing encoding artifacts. Crap in, crap out right?

Overall Rating: [4.11 / 5]

Overall Value: [5 / 5 @ < $150], [4 / 5 @ > $150 & < $200], [3 /5 @ > $200 & < $250]
Final Remark: The SCL4 is an absolute steal under $150, and an indisputable bargain below $200. For the current street price of $80 (White only), if you haven't picked these up and aren't a hip hop lover, my only question to you is, "What are you waiting for?!"

Recommended Genres: Everything, unless you need a slightly stronger treble response or a much stronger bass response. True hip hop lovers should stay away, but for the rest of us, the SCL4 is a true example of what an audiophile might expect out of their headphones in terms of reproduction. Even better, the warm sound signature means you can listen to your favorite music for a lot longer.

Jan 6, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #2 of 42
Excellent review. I now know I am not insane when I kept saying the SCL4s have decent bass.
Surprisingly I get the best sound out of the grey softflex tips too. The olive foamies deaden the sound for me.

Jan 6, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #3 of 42
Looks like I made a horrible decision canceling these to go with the Custom 3s. I just couldn't stand the wait, and the fact that I'd have to use a big-ass adapter to use it with my iPhone just turned me off
frown.gif
Anyways, would you choose the Image X10 for $200 or the Custom 3's for $160 over these?

Jan 6, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #4 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by yakuzaph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like I made a horrible decision canceling these to go with the Custom 3s. I just couldn't stand the wait, and the fact that I'd have to use a big-ass adapter to use it with my iPhone just turned me off
frown.gif
Anyways, would you choose the Image X10 for $200 or the Custom 3's for $160 over these?

Bear in mind I don't own the Custom 3, but here are my thoughts anyway.

The Custom 3 is going to have better sound quality than the X10. The X10 is only more popular for the better bass output and the almost absurd comfort level they provide (My favorite for long periods of listening while relaxing). If you can stand over-the-ear designs, the Custom 3 is definitely Klipsch's top-end IEM, and will not disappoint.

As for if you made a horrible decision switching to the Custom 3's? No, you didn't make a horrible decision, but you did manage to spend regular street price for a product that will sell at about that price for a fair amount of time, whereas an IEM with SQ at the level of the SCL4 is unlikely to be $80 or close to that for some period of time. I predict the main reason the SCL4 and a fair number of other Shure products have been marked down so significantly (Shure SE530 for $290, SE310 for $125 (sale now over), SCL4 for $80, SCL3 for $60) is that Shure is planning on revealing a new product at CES this week. This is just a hunch, but there's no other explanation that makes sense in my eyes.

Jan 6, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #5 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Custom 3 is going to have better sound quality than the X10. The X10 is only more popular for the better bass output and the almost absurd comfort level they provide (My favorite for long periods of listening while relaxing). If you can stand over-the-ear designs, the Custom 3 is definitely Klipsch's top-end IEM, and will not disappoint.

As for if you made a horrible decision switching to the Custom 3's? No, you didn't make a horrible decision, but you did manage to spend regular street price for a product that will sell at about that price for a fair amount of time, whereas an IEM with SQ at the level of the SCL4 is unlikely to be $80 or close to that for some period of time. I predict the main reason the SCL4 and a fair number of other Shure products have been marked down so significantly (Shure SE530 for $290, SE310 for $125 (sale now over), SCL4 for $80, SCL3 for $60) is that Shure is planning on revealing a new product at CES this week. This is just a hunch, but there's no other explanation that makes sense in my eyes.

Fair enough taikero
biggrin.gif

I didn't go for higher-end IEM such as Weston 3, shure se530, or sennheiser Ie8 because I'm afraid I was gonna skip all the fun. And after that, maybe I wouldn't have anything else to strive for if ya know what I mean
jecklinsmile.gif

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #8 of 42
always liked the e4c however i didnt have it long because one of the drivers rattled really annoyingly. but i went to the e4c from the er6i and the sound was very good indeed, hence i took them back and had to get me the e500/se530. i have tested phones since but always loved the shure sound due to my musical preferences.

Jan 6, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #9 of 42
which website did you place the order?
I place order on musicfriends and still backorder.........
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by LedZeppelin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my SCL4 today, it's hugh improvment over E3!! I love its forwarding sound image, E3 is too lay back.

Jan 6, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Had to comment on your observation on the Custom 3s vs. the X10s. I owned both (still have the X10s) and I would not say the C3 SQ is better than the X10s. Different? Yes. Better, no? I liked the Custom 3s, in fact, and found them almost as comfy as the X10s. But in the end, I preferred the X10 sound and sold the C3s. I also own the W3s, which are serving as my over the ear phone.

But as to the decision to get the Custom 3s over the Shures at twice the price, I say the extra comfort is worth $80, considering you note that to get the right seal, the ECL4s need to go deep, much like Etys or AL 716s. To some, that is not comfort, but torture. Not everyone, mind you, cause I like the 716s too. But to me, the Klipsch comfort factor is worth its weight in $$$. So yakuzaph not to worry. If you do like the Custom 3 sound, you didn't make a mistake considering the comfort issue.

Also, if Shure is selling the ECL4s to clear space for new products, how come the black ones are still expensive? Just wondered what the logic is in terms of only deep discounting the white ones relative to your conjecture that they are getting ready to release new models (not that I doubt it, but what would be the logic in discounting only one color?).

Jan 6, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Had to comment on your observation on the Custom 3s vs. the X10s. I owned both (still have the X10s) and I would not say the C3 SQ is better than the X10s. Different? Yes. Better, no? I liked the Custom 3s, in fact, and found them almost as comfy as the X10s. But in the end, I preferred the X10 sound and sold the C3s. I also own the W3s, which are serving as my over the ear phone.

Glad to have better firsthand information. I was going off a couple other reports I'd read on the Custom 3, which is why I did say that my thoughts should be taken with a grain of salt.

Quote:

But as to the decision to get the Custom 3s over the Shures at twice the price, I say the extra comfort is worth $80, considering you note that to get the right seal, the ECL4s need to go deep, much like Etys or AL 716s. To some, that is not comfort, but torture. Not everyone, mind you, cause I like the 716s too. But to me, the Klipsch comfort factor is worth its weight in $$$. So yakuzaph not to worry. If you do like the Custom 3 sound, you didn't make a mistake considering the comfort issue.

I've found a lot of Klipsch's comfort level comes from their IEM tips. Whoever's doing that research needs a raise, because any IEM I throw the Klipsch tips on becomes immediately super-comfortable. I so wish they sold the Klipsch tips in sizes fitting both standard and large nozzles (such as UE). Sadly, not yet.

Quote:

Also, if Shure is selling the ECL4s to clear space for new products, how come the black ones are still expensive? Just wondered what the logic is in terms of only deep discounting the white ones relative to your conjecture that they are getting ready to release new models (not that I doubt it, but what would be the logic in discounting only one color?).

Well, they are phasing the white SCL3/4 out, which leads me to believe they need to clear up the machines they were using for painting/manufacturing those for another product. There's been a little talk of an SE115 (hope not) around here. I'm hoping for something better, but in this kind of economy, having a leg up on the competition (which Shure doesn't firmly have anymore) is paramount to economic stability. If Shure has an ace in the hole, now's the time to use it, IMO. I'm just hoping they go for another quality product rather than a "pretty" revamp on an old technology (which works commercially, but is
frown.gif
for those of us who like new advances in headphone technology).

Jan 6, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #14 of 42
Good stuff. I agree on the Klipsch tips. Funny thing is, they don't work with the W3s at all (at least not for me), but boy, I really wish they did.

I know what you mean about the C3s. Some head-fi'ers hated them, could not get a good seal, etc. If I had not gotten the W3s, I would have kept the C3s too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back