Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Apr 8, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #5,731 of 6,068
Apart from putting a silicon band around the volume knob to keep it more firmly in place, the only other method I can think of is to reduce my source's gain so that when the amp's gain is maxed out, it doesn't sound too loud.

What have people done to address this issue?
I only use my system while stationary, but I think a case that keeps the volume knob from being nudged could work. Maybe a combination of gain settings and a KSE1500 case (oversized) could be the solution?

Apr 8, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #5,732 of 6,068
KSE1200SYS owners—do you find that your amp's volume knob has very little resistance and that it is easy to accidentally nudge the volume up or down when the amp is in your pocket? I'm scared of blowing my eardrums out by increasing the volume too high.

Apart from putting a silicon band around the volume knob to keep it more firmly in place, the only other method I can think of is to reduce my source's gain so that when the amp's gain is maxed out, it doesn't sound too loud.

Yes. I don't put it in my pocket.

Apr 8, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #5,733 of 6,068
KSE1200SYS owners—do you find that your amp's volume knob has very little resistance and that it is easy to accidentally nudge the volume up or down when the amp is in your pocket? I'm scared of blowing my eardrums out by increasing the volume too high.

Yep.

I use a rubber band…worse than your silicone band idea, hahahaha

Attachments

• DB75DE83-B1EC-4D58-8EBE-D1025AE9FD15.jpeg
    DB75DE83-B1EC-4D58-8EBE-D1025AE9FD15.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 12, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #5,735 of 6,068
Thank you for the replies everyone. I will continue to use my silicon band then.

I am interested in trying out the Khadas Tea Bluetooth amplifier (https://www.khadas.com/tea), whose dimensions line-up almost perfectly with the KSE1200SYS amplifier.
However, first I would like to know if the KSE1200 amp is "magsafe" (i.e. can it be near magnets). Anyone know?

1649785510959.png

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #5,736 of 6,068
Thank you for the replies everyone. I will continue to use my silicon band then.

I am interested in trying out the Khadas Tea Bluetooth amplifier (https://www.khadas.com/tea), whose dimensions line-up almost perfectly with the KSE1200SYS amplifier.
However, first I would like to know if the KSE1200 amp is "magsafe" (i.e. can it be near magnets). Anyone know?

1649785510959.png
There's no mentions of magnetic interference in the user guide.
https://pubs.shure.com/guide/KSE1200SYS/en-US

May 1, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #5,739 of 6,068
May 1, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #5,741 of 6,068
Duoo x10Tii, mojo 2, kse1200 (^_^)
Haha looks awesome. I’ve got mine paired to a lpgt ti. Anybody got a good 5 band pmeq I can try? All I’ve done is slightly increased the bass

May 1, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #5,742 of 6,068
This is not exactly a reply but more of a general comment.

Outstanding sound as you might read in all reviews. Of course they do not compare with standard electrostatics like the Staxs but that is an obvious (and accepted) limitation because of their small size.

This personal opinion deals with other equally important issues that I think anyone considering these KSEs should know about. This is my experience in Europe.
Four months ago, my earphones’ cable broke at the connector after less than one year (as things that are used on a daily basis are liable to break).
Since then it has been hell trying to replace them.
First of all, customer service is ignorant about their own products - at some point someone suggested I should buy other ‘standard’ earphones like the SE series which are NOT compatible with the KSE system.
Second, Shure is, amazingly still today, an overwhelmingly bureaucratic and hard to contact company, and getting concise, accurate and reliable information from them is a nightmare.
Third, the KSE earphones are considered ‘technical service parts’ and therefore not available to the public (imagine not being able to buy tires for your car because they were ‘technical service parts’).
Fourth, these are premium priced earphones, as are the ‘technical service parts’: they can be ordered through technical service at ¼ th of the system’s price, that is, in excess of 500 euros (after months of frustration and dozens of e-mail messages trying to get answers from Shure).

So, be aware of these caveats when considering the KSE electrostactic systems (the KSE1200 & 1500 use the same earphones).

In a nutshell:

10/10 points for sound
3/10 points for lengthy, bureaucratic,, inaccurate, inefficient, frustrating customer service
0/10 points for the unrealistic impossibility of getting replacements directly from the distributors
3/10 points for overrated price for parts that are subject to wear (I’m particularly careful with all my items, having had earphones I bought over 30 years ago and still work flawlessly; these Shures lasted less than a year before the cable broke at the connector).
Hence 4/10 points for the overal experience.

Just to let you guys be conscious of these facts when considering these earphones.

Best of luck!

RL

May 1, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #5,743 of 6,068
Haha looks awesome. I’ve got mine paired to a lpgt ti. Anybody got a good 5 band pmeq I can try? All I’ve done is slightly increased the bass
Mojo2 has an interesting eq function, works well with kse1200. Otherwise i like the eq and 8ball sound shaper of the hiby daps. R6’s sound is a little soft compared to the harder hitting mojo2, but i have been eyeing the hiby r8 (which also has the eq and 8ball sound shaper as a possible pairing for the kse1200.

May 1, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #5,744 of 6,068

Outstanding sound as you might read in all reviews. Of course they do not compare with standard electrostatics like the Staxs but that is an obvious (and accepted) limitation because of their small size.

This personal opinion deals with other equally important issues that I think anyone considering these KSEs should know about. This is my experience in Europe.
Four months ago, my earphones’ cable broke at the connector after less than one year (as things that are used on a daily basis are liable to break).
First of all, customer service is ignorant about their own products - at some point someone suggested I should buy other ‘standard’ earphones like the SE series which are NOT compatible with the KSE system.
Second, Shure is, amazingly still today, an overwhelmingly bureaucratic and hard to contact company, and getting concise, accurate and reliable information from them is a nightmare.
Third, the KSE earphones are considered ‘technical service parts’ and therefore not available to the public (imagine not being able to buy tires for your car because they were ‘technical service parts’).
Fourth, these are premium priced earphones, as are the ‘technical service parts’: they can be ordered through technical service at ¼ th of the system’s price, that is, in excess of 500 euros (after months of frustration and dozens of e-mail messages trying to get answers from Shure).

So, be aware of these caveats when considering the KSE electrostactic systems (the KSE1200 & 1500 use the same earphones).

In a nutshell:

10/10 points for sound
3/10 points for lengthy, bureaucratic,, inaccurate, inefficient, frustrating customer service
0/10 points for the unrealistic impossibility of getting replacements directly from the distributors
3/10 points for overrated price for parts that are subject to wear (I’m particularly careful with all my items, having had earphones I bought over 30 years ago and still work flawlessly; these Shures lasted less than a year before the cable broke at the connector).

Just to let you guys be conscious of these facts when considering these earphones.

Best of luck!

RL
Thankfully I paid a little extra from the store I got them from for a 10 year warranty

May 1, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #5,745 of 6,068

In a nutshell:

10/10 points for sound

Best of luck!

RL
I agree with the customer service thing, I think the dealers are supposed to be a buffer between Shure service and the customer.

I had dealt directly with Shure customer service, and had my problem solved, but the process was drawn out and involved me sending back the entire system 3 times. The turnaround time was about 3 weeks each time I sent it in.

The first time they couldn't detect the issue, so just sent it back (board problem happened after an hour or so of operation). The second time I sent it back, I was more descriptive and they fixed the board, but didn't reassemble it completely (no end cap). So I sent an email to service with pictures, and they requested that I send it back again. So, three weeks later I received a new energizer.

So, I think I've decided that in the future, I will just go to a Shure dealer and see if they can help with whatever issue arises.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back