Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Mar 15, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #2,806 of 6,081

@SoLost - for something more portable, I'd recommend checking out FiiO's X5iii (third gen X5). FiiO have definitely cut some costs with the amp on this thing, but that's irrelevant if you only need its line-out. Its DAC is really good. For feeding the KSE1500, I prefered the sound of the X5iii's line-out to that of the DX200's. It's a smaller, more portable form factor, less than half the price of the DX200, has a full Android OS with the Google Play store and two microSD card slots supporting up to 544 Gb of total storage.

Thanks. Should have done more research! Just got the DX200, will live with that for now. I often listen when I am at my desk using my main headphone rig, so portable is of secondary concern. 

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #2,808 of 6,081
  Once you get them, could you compare both of them? I am so torn between getting utopia and kse-1500 right now. 

I ordered the Utopia partially because nothing else I had matched my KSE1500s. 

I'll have them in a week or so...I hope they provide something equivalent to the KSE1500s, which, to me, provide an unparalleled window onto the sound

Sorry my above comment was meant for you. Forgot to quote :p

Mar 15, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #2,809 of 6,081
The Tia Fourte mostly impresses me with it's ridiculous price tag and vomit color.

Very insightful comment! 
smily_headphones1.gif
 I think they should have named it the "Tia Audacity", considering the profit margins they must be making on that thing. It's just not that expensive to make a quad-balanced armature IEM:

https://diyearphone.com/products/gv-quad?variant=34496652871

Of course, in the above, you have to supply your own vomit.

Thanks. Should have done more research! Just got the DX200, will live with that for now. I often listen when I am at my desk using my main headphone rig, so portable is of secondary concern. 

I wouldn't sweat it. The DX200 is still a great DAP (you can still load Tidal on it, which - unlike the A&K DAPs, also works offline) and the differences between DACs these days are only a tiny fraction of the differences you can hear between headphones. Besides, you might one day hear the X5iii and disagree with me :wink:

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #2,811 of 6,081
csglinuxI wish they had some concrete arguments to justify price...like the R&D put into the KSE...
https://www.64audio.com/technology/tia

Do I really need 18 BA's per ear? (U/A18 Tsar)

It's funny that a 1 DD, 2 closed BA and 1 open BA IEM is being mentioned in the same sentence as an electrostatic for detail and reproduction accuracy, even if the entire IEM is tubeless.

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #2,812 of 6,081
https://www.64audio.com/technology/tia

There's obviously a market out there for things with giant price tags. It's a great pity. The world would be a better place (for everybody) if people didn't fall for con artists. At this price point, I'd say this Tia is bordering on a scam. Look at what they're actually saying here...
Sound tubes cause distortion and resonance, and since they've ditched sound tubes, they don't have either problem. Utter BS. Any enclosure will have its own resonant modes. You'll just have to hope you like the way they've machined the enclosure, because if not, there's not much you'll be able to do to tweak it afterwards. And where's the source of distortion in a smooth wave guide?!? An open chamber would have far more issues, because you'll have waves reflecting, diffracting around corners, creating phase interference effects all over the place. What a nightmare.

Look at the frequency response graphs in their PR material, indicating how superior the Tia technology is. Come on marketing dudes - if you're going to create a fake cartoon FR graph, at least make it look good! Who wants a headphone that rolls off dramatically past 6 kHz? Given the choice from their two graphs, I'd want the FR from the "conventional" IEM 
dt880smile.png

Don't forget this is the company that pushed the Ambrose Diaphonic Ear Lens on the world, until they created their own (apex) brand of snakeoil to relieve these insidious "pneumatic" pressures and magically protect and restore your hearing, all while making the sound louder at your eardrum.

It's funny that a 1 DD, 2 closed BA and 1 open BA IEM is being mentioned in the same sentence as an electrostatic for detail and reproduction accuracy.

Watch this - I'm going to mention chalk and cheese in the same sentence. See, easy! :wink:

Mar 16, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #2,813 of 6,081
csglinux Yes 64 audio has visibly switched to marketing BS. A change in strategy when they decided that marketing BS and high margins were better than hard work and average margins.

In any case...I would love to say that it will pass, but unfortunately other brands with average products and strong marketing are thriving...cough cough Gandalf cough cough. There is little chance that this will change as most sites and blogs live on this.

Back to KSE1500, I am waiting for custom sleeves as I really like the comfort of silicone custom. For some people it improves sound, for others not. At 200$ the risk is not too enormous to me.

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #2,814 of 6,081
I like the KSE 1500, hope to hear it someday but I just can't handle the idea of being saddled with their amp.  I like switching things up, trying out new synergies.  It's part of the fun.

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #2,815 of 6,081
I like the KSE 1500, hope to hear it someday but I just can't handle the idea of being saddled with their amp.  I like switching things up, trying out new synergies.  It's part of the fun.

Your post presents a view that is diametrically opposite of my view. Not that there is anything inherently wrong with wanting to search for synergies I certainly did prior to owning the KSE1500.

If you look back at this thread it is one of the quietest on Head-Fi. I think Sean aka Anakchan said it best when he theorized that with a non detachable cable and the energizer all that we can really change is the source. Whether it be a line in or using the built in DAC the choice is almost purely idiosyncratic and not really debatable.

It is such a pleasure to avoid posts singing the praises of a $1,500 cable made from unicorn horn and dark matter that will completely transform the sound of the KSE. I just enjoy the KSE and never have to wonder if I am really missing something.

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #2,816 of 6,081
Your post presents a view that is diametrically opposite of my view. Not that there is anything inherently wrong with wanting to search for synergies I certainly did prior to owning the KSE1500.

If you look back at this thread it is one of the quietest on Head-Fi. I think Sean aka Anakchan said it best when he theorized that with a non detachable cable and the energizer all that we can really change is the source. Whether it be a line in or using the built in DAC the choice is almost purely idiosyncratic and not really debatable.

It is such a pleasure to avoid posts singing the praises of a $1,500 cable made from unicorn horn and dark matter that will completely transform the sound of the KSE. I just enjoy the KSE and never have to wonder if I am really missing something.

Or never have to bother with pairings!
wink.gif

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #2,817 of 6,081

I wouldn't sweat it. The DX200 is still a great DAP (you can still load Tidal on it, which - unlike the A&K DAPs, also works offline) and the differences between DACs these days are only a tiny fraction of the differences you can hear between headphones. Besides, you might one day hear the X5iii and disagree with me :wink:

Glad to know! Or are you simply trying to comfort me? =)
I am happy with the DX200, but with the KSE1500 amp, it is quite a bulk...

Mar 17, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #2,819 of 6,081
BTW, what tips do you guys use with your KSE1500? The stock ones or are their third party ones that I should look into?

Before I got the Sensaphonics custom sleeves which work fantastic for me, I used the Westone Star Tips.

Here is a hyperlink for the entire Weston's Star Tip and True Fit package to find one that fits best: https://www.amazon.com/Westone-TRUE-FIT-STAR-Combo-Audiophile/dp/B00DD2BZRY

p.s. Both Shure and Westone have a 2.5mm nozzle so the fit is identical.

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #2,820 of 6,081
i have both the 1500 and the utopia
I use them both all the time
obviously i need the 1500 for blotting out ambient noise and for not disturbing other people
on movie and rock music they are different but I like the 1500 a little better because the bass seems better
on classical higher quality recordings I like the utopia better because of the absolute sense of realism, separation, detail, etc
JRF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back