Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Mar 13, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #2,791 of 6,081
I've come to realize that one of the drawbacks of the KSE1500 is that they spoil your ears.

I went to check out the Z1R and LCD-4 today...

The Z1R was ok, and I loved the ergonomics, but I didn't feel that the listening experience was more enjoyable than the KSE. Just different. I felt I was trading detail and speed, with the KSE, for a wider soundstage and more impactful bass with the Z1R. The intro of Dream Theater's "The Enemy Inside", which has a fast guitar riff, sounded a little muddled to me for example compared to the KSE. I also found there was a very specific frequency range that kind of annoyed me on the Z1R, noticeable on some tracks with lead guitar. For example, the guitar on Dream Theater's "Savior in the Square". Though I did like the vocals on the Z1R, and on a track like Get Lucky, the deeper bass was nice. The Z1R was mostly fine overall, but if I were to own them, I don't think I'd feel compelled to use them in relation to the KSE. To be fair, I only got to try them with the stock cable. 

I liked the LCD-4 better, as detail was more similar to the KSE (still not quite there, but a lot closer) albeit with the added benefit of the better imaging and soundstage that comes with an over-the-ear headphone vs. an IEM. But they didn't quite blow me away to the extent I had hoped they would. And to be fair here as well, I was plugged straight into my AK120II which may have been a limiting factor.

So the moral of the story is that if I'm going to buy full-sized headphones, I might have to look at the Stax-009 or Utopia...
rolleyes.gif

Mar 13, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #2,792 of 6,081
  I've come to realize that one of the drawbacks of the KSE1500 is that they spoil your ears.

I went to check out the Z1R and LCD-4 today...

The Z1R was ok, and I loved the ergonomics, but I didn't feel that the listening experience was more enjoyable than the KSE. Just different. I felt I was trading detail and speed, with the KSE, for a wider soundstage and more impactful bass with the Z1R. The intro of Dream Theater's "The Enemy Inside", which has a fast guitar riff, sounded a little muddled to me for example compared to the KSE. I also found there was a very specific frequency range that kind of annoyed me on the Z1R, noticeable on some tracks with lead guitar. For example, the guitar on Dream Theater's "Savior in the Square". Though I did like the vocals on the Z1R, and on a track like Get Lucky, the deeper bass was nice. The Z1R was mostly fine overall, but if I were to own them, I don't think I'd feel compelled to use them in relation to the KSE. To be fair, I only got to try them with the stock cable. 

I liked the LCD-4 better, as detail was more similar to the KSE (still not quite there, but a lot closer) albeit with the added benefit of the better imaging and soundstage that comes with an over-the-ear headphone vs. an IEM. But they didn't quite blow me away to the extent I had hoped they would. And to be fair here as well, I was plugged straight into my AK120II which may have been a limiting factor.

So the moral of the story is that if I'm going to buy full-sized headphones, I might have to look at the Stax-009 or Utopia...
rolleyes.gif

You are comparing dynamic driver to electrostatic to planar magnetic. Its not rocket science, the kse wins hands down for its sound in an iem form factor. Not really a fair comparison imo. Same goes for the lcd 4, why would you compare a closed back dynamic driver, electrostat to an open back planar? Makes no sense at all. Would make more sense comparing the isine 20 to lcd 4 being they are both open back and planar magnetic.

Mar 13, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #2,793 of 6,081
You are comparing dynamic driver to electrostatic to planar magnetic. Its not rocket science, the kse wins hands down for its sound in an iem form factor. Not really a fair comparison imo. Same goes for the lcd 4, why would you compare a closed back dynamic driver, electrostat to an open back planar? Makes no sense at all. Would make more sense comparing the isine 20 to lcd 4 being they are both open back and planar magnetic.

Plenty of people have been comparing the Utopia (beryllium dynamic) to electrostats and claiming it's superior. We just don't know yet what the boundaries of dynamic or planar magnetic technologies will be. Low mass, high magnetically-susceptible materials in dynamic drivers might one day beat electrostats (we only need to get to 20 kHz). What's the harm in this guy comparing different types of headphone?!?

P.S. I wasn't blown away with either the Utopia or the SR-009, but the new MrSpeakers Ether electrostat is well worth a listen. Of course, if you want to go jogging with it, you've got to be trailing a tube amp on a marble plinth behind you, but this would help build a greater appreciation for the portable nature of the KSE1500 :wink:

Mar 13, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #2,794 of 6,081

Fair enough, I guess my point is that I was trying to see if I could find a pair of full-sized headphones that I would really enjoy listening to, in comparison to the KSE, regardless of whether they're planar, dynamic, or whatever. 

But I think what I've concluded is that anything under $3,000 will probably be different than the KSE in terms of sound signature, but not necessarily better, especially given that I apparently enjoy the characteristics of the electrostatic sound. If I want "better" then I probably need to look at the TOTL stuff. 

Mar 14, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #2,795 of 6,081

I ordered the Utopia partially because nothing else I had matched my KSE1500s. 

I'll have them in a week or so...I hope they provide something equivalent to the KSE1500s, which, to me, provide an unparalleled window onto the sound. 

Mar 14, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #2,796 of 6,081
I am also using DX200 with the KSE1500, very good results, but not quite as portable as I wish. 
The KSE 1500 is wonderful. They are somewhat less neutral (imho) then the Stax 009 but in many ways more enjoyable. 

Mar 14, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #2,797 of 6,081
I have since a long time considered the KSE1500 as the best in ear, but it seems there are new kings in town that chalenge it : the 64 Audio tia Fourté that impressed all the people who listened to it at Canjam Singapore 

Main portability advantage is not needing an additional amp...

I also wonder if the Unique Melody UM-1 is not another direct competitor

So many new technology in the IEM department !  Competition for the KSE1500 is becoming tough...

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #2,799 of 6,081
The Tia Fourte mostly impresses me with it's ridiculous price tag and vomit color.

Oh I don't know, four balanced armitures made by someone else in an acoustic chamber decorated so handsomely for $3,600 seems eminently reasonable to me.

As for "new technology" in the Tia Forte what exactly is new, the open balanced armitures? Wow color me impressed.

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #2,800 of 6,081
  I have since a long time considered the KSE1500 as the best in ear, but it seems there are new kings in town that chalenge it : the 64 Audio tia Fourté that impressed all the people who listened to it at Canjam Singapore 

So many new technology in the IEM department !  Competition for the KSE1500 is becoming tough...

Both mentioned IEMs, in my opinion, are not at the technical and overall immersive detailed level of the KSE1500.  Of the two mentioned, though, I preferred the planar from UM.

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #2,802 of 6,081
Plenty of people have been comparing the Utopia (beryllium dynamic) to electrostats and claiming it's superior. We just don't know yet what the boundaries of dynamic or planar magnetic technologies will be. Low mass, high magnetically-susceptible materials in dynamic drivers might one day beat electrostats (we only need to get to 20 kHz). What's the harm in this guy comparing different types of headphone?!?

P.S. I wasn't blown away with either the Utopia or the SR-009, but the new MrSpeakers Ether electrostat is well worth a listen. Of course, if you want to go jogging with it, you've got to be trailing a tube amp on a marble plinth behind you, but this would help build a greater appreciation for the portable nature of the KSE1500 :wink:

Did you get a chance to listen to the new Æon from MrSpeakers?  I believe the electrostat is more in line with the KSE1500 compared to the Æon, but it's quite an engaging sound to my ears paired with the QP1R.

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #2,803 of 6,081

Did you get a chance to listen to the new Æon from MrSpeakers?  I believe the electrostat is more in line with the KSE1500 compared to the Æon, but it's quite an engaging sound to my ears paired with the QP1R.

Dang @moedawg140, you trying to bankrupt me?!?
eek.gif
 No, I've not heard the Æon, but if you recommend this, I probably should. I was very impressed with their electrostat, but can't be dealing with those big bulky amps. Something that plays nice with a QP1R sounds like it might be interesting 
atsmile.gif

@SoLost - for something more portable, I'd recommend checking out FiiO's X5iii (third gen X5). FiiO have definitely cut some costs with the amp on this thing, but that's irrelevant if you only need its line-out. Its DAC is really good. For feeding the KSE1500, I prefered the sound of the X5iii's line-out to that of the DX200's. It's a smaller, more portable form factor, less than half the price of the DX200, has a full Android OS with the Google Play store and two microSD card slots supporting up to 544 Gb of total storage.

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #2,804 of 6,081

Dang @moedawg140, you trying to bankrupt me?!?
eek.gif
 No, I've not heard the Æon, but if you recommend this, I probably should. I was very impressed with their electrostat, but can't be dealing with those big bulky amps. Something that plays nice with a QP1R sounds like it might be interesting 
atsmile.gif

@SoLost - for something more portable, I'd recommend checking out FiiO's X5iii (third gen X5). FiiO have definitely cut some costs with the amp on this thing, but that's irrelevant if you only need its line-out. Its DAC is really good. For feeding the KSE1500, I prefered the sound of the X5iii's line-out to that of the DX200's. It's a smaller, more portable form factor, less than half the price of the DX200, has a full Android OS with the Google Play store and two microSD card slots supporting up to 544 Gb of total storage.

Hehe, my bad, my friend!  Laughing out loud for real... Hmm...it didn't sound toooooo different from the FLOW.  Okay, how's that? 
redface.gif

Big bulky amps can be an acquired taste for sure.  I really like small amps like the iDSD Black Label - has the power for all of my headphones and I even use the regular iDSD to further power my RIVA TURBO X for outside use when I teach.

Mar 15, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #2,805 of 6,081

Thanks! Did not know about the 64 Audio tia Fourté! Time to dig into more info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back