Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Oct 3, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #2,581 of 6,068
Agreed. Especially considering their longstanding relationship with Sensaphonics for folks who want custom sleeves. 

When I was in ChiTown getting my customs measured at Sensaphonics the head of the company mentioned they helped Shure design all their earphones until the KSE1500. The physics of the KSE dictated the ergonomics of the design so it was no insult to Sensaphonics that they did not have a role in the design of the KSE shape.

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #2,583 of 6,068

From one comment in this thread about Spinfit CP800-m.

Yes!! Excellent eartips for fit, sound quality, feeling, looking, stylish and hygienic  

Oct 6, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #2,584 of 6,068
I've tried tons of eartips on the KSE1500 and the SpinFit tips are also my favorite for sound quality. To my ears, the SpinFits live up to their advertising claim of extending the frequency response at both ends.

They're probably the best value-for-money upgrade you can get for your KSE1500! :smiley:

Oct 6, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #2,585 of 6,068
I've tried tons of eartips on the KSE1500 and the SpinFit tips are also my favorite for sound quality. To my ears, the SpinFits live up to their advertising claim of extending the frequency response at both ends.

They're probably the best value-for-money upgrade you can get for your KSE1500! :smiley:

I used to use spinfits, but I keep going back to Shure Olives. Maybe I need to go back to the Spinfits again...

Oct 6, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #2,587 of 6,068

Completely agree, although I find the seal sometimes deteriorates after 45 minutes, particularly in warm weather.

I'm getting some custom sleeves, but I'm not sure they'll match the spinfits for vaule for money...

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #2,589 of 6,068
What is your recommendation for the ksa1500's sq improvement, with limit budget of $1000 ?

My current combination: Samsung note 5 - Uapp, bit perfect active - android otg cable - the ksa/kse

As read in topic, cs4272 dac was used inside ksa, which is not so nice specs (ex 100db crosstalk, 114db snr....) and all we can see cs4398 one from same company which is much better. Also AK4490 dac from AKM.

I know sq depending implementation ways, not only name itself. And here is my some trials using another source to feed 3.5mm line in of the ksa.(use Aux out of each source).
*DX80 dap from ibasso($350) implement 2x cs4398s give sq less! It is even more worse in dac stand alone mode.
*Shalling M5($500) which use 1x AK4490 for dac and Muses8920 for amp. Sq is a tie.
I cant here the different.
*Chord Mojo dac/amp($600). This one doesn't have aux out, I use 3.5 hp port to feed in ksa. For this case I most confused which I should choose or which I love more.
Mojo give more musical, deepth and open, but, it is a little blurry (less clarify and speed). You may like to hear album True Blue by Madona directly from ksa's dac than feed its amp by Mojo.

I wish a better dac inside the ksa. Although I think Shure's designers has a best implement of components (dac, amp, inear driver...) to archive those maximum potential.

AK300 ($890) use a single ak4490 but I haven't try it.
Do you recomment this dap?

Oct 9, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #2,592 of 6,068
Mmm.......mine is now 9 months old.......still is as good as the day I bought it and it still is one of my top favorite in-ear. Really good in-ear. No issues or defects to report. Wondering if Shure will introduce a new variation or model (very hard act to follow or top)........CIEM version????? Hoping.

Mine is only about 2 months old and loving it still. The one thing that I believe may be a weakness is the cable if you kink it. Were there not reports earlier in this thread that if you fold the cable too much that it causes a drop in output of sound to one side? I am very careful to coil the cable and ensure it doesn't actually get a hard bend.

Oct 9, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #2,593 of 6,068
Mine is only about 2 months old and loving it still. The one thing that I believe may be a weakness is the cable if you kink it. Were there not reports earlier in this thread that if you fold the cable too much that it causes a drop in output of sound to one side? I am very careful to coil the cable and ensure it doesn't actually get a hard bend.

I think it was Michael (Mimouille) who stated earlier that he would pay a king's ransom for a better cable and I agree. I am afraid that the KSE cable is a case of function over form because of the nature of electrostats.

You are right about a permanent kink, I allowed my first cable to develop a kink and when I tried to straighten it I broke the wire. Thankfully, Shure replaced the whole cable/earphones at no cost. Now I baby my cables.

Oct 9, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #2,594 of 6,068
Mmm....no kinks on mine. Very, very careful. I've permanently assigned one of my Pelican micro case as its permanent home, so no kinking, everthing well-protected. Damn, very expensive to replace or repair. But I can agree that a more robust cable is needed in the next model.

Oct 12, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #2,595 of 6,068
Right now I'm actually listening to the built-in DAC for the first time ever. I've only ever listened to the KSE1500 with my Hugo, but today the Hugo was out of batteries. 

I find I really like it. It's got a little bit of a hard crystalline edge that suits the electrostats nicely. 

Am I going to abandon the Hugo? No. Too euphonic and pleasing for long listening sessions. But the built-in DAC is definitely a nice option to have. Doesn't feel like I'm slumming. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back