Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Jul 29, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #2,464 of 6,080
  Marketing. I'd give you 10-1 odds that this is the driver they use and it also shows a lowering of treble.  http://www.sonion.com/Products/Transducers/Receivers/26-E25%20AcuPass%20TM.aspx
That said, It may still be VG but don't expect it to compete with the subject of this thread or even the SE-846.

Just answering my own question here, from about 50 pages back. I finally got to listen to the Klipsch X20i. Well, of course @goodvibes was right. I just didn't realize how right until now :wink:
There are some multi-BA headphones out there that can do a pretty decent job of the upper treble. I think the SE-846 with SpinFits tips, Brown Knowles dampers and a silver litz cable gets reasonably close to the KSE1500. The new Andromedas also have an impressively extended and smooth-sounding treble.  I love the ergonomics of the Klipsch IEMs and still carry a pair of X11i around in a tiny Altoids tin as my back-up portable IEMS. But the X20i SQ was a massive let down. It has an odd 9 kHz dip and some kind of veiling over the entire frequency range. The X20i is definitely no threat to the KSE1500 or the SE-846. IMHO, it isn't even a threat to the X11i. Klipsch really need to go back to the drawing board on this one :frowning2:

Jul 29, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #2,465 of 6,080
  Anyone using a Fiio X7? If so, you using Headphone out, line out, or USB? I have to turn on the Input Pad on the KSE1500 amp to -20 to avoid clipping when using the X7 line out. 

Same here, except I only set to -10db. I would definitely use line out because bypassing the dac of x7 means you are not getting any value out of it.

Jul 31, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #2,466 of 6,080
  Anyone using a Fiio X7? If so, you using Headphone out, line out, or USB? I have to turn on the Input Pad on the KSE1500 amp to -20 to avoid clipping when using the X7 line out. 

I'm also using the input pad set to -10 dB and (with the X7 adjustable LO output set to off) I'm not noticing any clipping. In fact, the X7's constant-output LO setting appears to be at a slightly lower volume than that on the QP1R (whose constant LO option is called "maximum") and I don't notice any clipping with either DAP using the -10 dB pad. Both QP1R and X7 are excellent DAPs, however, I do have a special message for any X7 owners out there (and apologies to everybody else, this is a private joke that only X7 owners will appreciate!)...

"Unfortunately, Google play services has stopped" :wink:

Aug 4, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #2,467 of 6,080
A couple of questions if anyone would like to chime in:

My home setup is Sony HAPZ1ES > DIY Tube Amp > HD800. I just got a Walkman zx2 and Senn ie800 for portable listening and was quite wowed. The detail and immediacy of the in-ears makes the HD800 seem distant and ethereal. Then I saw these electrostats and thought here would be the perfect compliment to the HD800s. I listen mostly to classical, am a detail junkie -- not a basshead or interested in coloring of the sound.

Anyways, would the HAPZ1ES work as a transport/DAC for the KSE1500? And if so -- dumb question: The Sony has 2 RCAs (non-balanced) outs and 2 XLR (balanced) outs. Would a double RCA to a mini jack be the way to connect into the KSE Amp/DAC?

Or would the Sony HAPZ1ES > DIY Tube Amp > KSE1500 be preferable, as I've read people talking about double amping. Would I use a XLR to mini jack to go out of my amp into the KSE?

Or should I just go the route of  ZX2 > Mojo > KSE1500, which so many people like. The HAPZ1ES, though, is a pretty awesome DAC I think.

Aug 4, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #2,468 of 6,080
mmm......personally, I'd just simplify the chain to ZX2 + KSE 1500 or any DAP + KSE 1500. That's what I do. Why? Because the KSE, in and of itself, is already a fine in-ear system and all it needs is a quality DAP. Adding to the KSE 1500  a Mojo and a DAP or a DAC and a DAP  needlessly complicates things.

Aug 5, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #2,469 of 6,080
mmm......personally, I'd just simplify the chain to ZX2 + KSE 1500 or any DAP + KSE 1500. That's what I do. Why? Because the KSE, in and of itself, is already a fine in-ear system and all it needs is a quality DAP. Adding to the KSE 1500  a Mojo and a DAP or a DAC and a DAP  needlessly complicates things.
+1

Aug 5, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #2,470 of 6,080
I'd probably simplify things by getting another m/bike and going downtown more often etc. I don't feel my dac/amp +Dap is  portable, with the strain it would put on the jacks in my pocket,and I don't walk anywhere, and this would probably be worse, but serious kudos to Shure for bringing a new standard. But as mine is a home set up, I can't see any other option than e/static h/phones. If it becomes universal, with minute power requirements, happy days. 

Aug 5, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #2,471 of 6,080
Thanks, good to know the ZX2 is sufficient. I was reading so much about the importance of sources and DACs with the KSE-1500s, I was thinking I could end up outlaying nearly the same as for a SR-009 and BHSE! A bit of an exaggeration, but still...

Aug 5, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #2,473 of 6,080
Shure was never good looking to me.
I own SE535 and it's cable look too bad after one year use, no more transparent as originally. It make nosing and send it to my ears when any thing touch the cable....

Now my Kse1500 looks the same.I can even see one small string of clothes inside screen edge and one, too small also, on left year....
Oh yes! Made in China...not Japan version. I can't describe the sound but I like one kind of bass mixing of se535 and kse1500 , mid of se535 and treble of kse1500.... with all details at level of kse1500.

I wish an inear like that.

One tip I found : when use a mod cable 3.5mm with resistance 275 Omh for auxiliary out to ksa1500 amp, sound is better compare to -10dB selection in "input pad" !
(I see some one usually use input pad as a solution for avoid clip/pops signal).

Aug 5, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #2,474 of 6,080
Shure was never good looking to me.
I own SE535 and it's cable look too bad after one year use, no more transparent as originally. It make nosing and send it to my ears when any thing touch the cable....

Now my Kse1500 looks the same.I can even see one small string of clothes inside screen edge and one, too small also, on left year....
Oh yes! Made in China...not Japan version. I can't describe the sound but I like one kind of bass mixing of se535 and kse1500 , mid of se535 and treble of kse1500.... with all details at level of kse1500.

I wish an inear like that.

One tip I found : when use a mod cable 3.5mm with resistance 275 Omh for auxiliary out to ksa1500 amp, sound is better compare to -10dB selection in "input pad" !
(I see some one usually use input pad as a solution for avoid clip/pops signal).

I have an eleven year old Shure E5c and the permanent cable is still like new as is my 535 and 846. I clean the cable after use so body oils won't degrade it.

Aug 5, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #2,475 of 6,080
I have the KSE1500 in a dedicated table setup that is not portable.  The KSE1500 is ultra-transparent and deserves the best possible source, because, that is simply what you will hear.  Going from the Mojo to the Hugo TT was a very big step up for me.  I have found another set of IEMs to satisfy my mobile needs, the Cardas A8, a very nice pairing with the Mojo for on the go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back