Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Nov 12, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #632 of 6,065

The Stax gives some isolation, but not enough for airplane use. 

I use to have one and i can tell you the Stax gives you ZERO isolation.

Nov 12, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #633 of 6,065
It looks like I've got a chance to audition one of these things, but first I've got a question for the folks on this forum. I want to be able to hear and test out all parts of the system, including the DAC. What would be the best portable transport solution, given that I can fit my entire music collection on a couple of microSD cards? I know I could use a laptop, but that's not really portable. My QP1R would need some kind of TOSLINK to usb converter. My X5ii would need some kind of coax to usb converter. Both those options sound a bit clunky. Any recommendations?

As others have said earlier in this thread, it seems like a good option would have been to offer a smaller (cheaper?!) version of the KSE1500 without the built-in DAC. Alternatively, why not go all the way and add a couple of microSD slots to the KSE1500 amp/DAC package?

One negative I can see right off the bat for KSE1500 headfiers. Never again will you be able to compare different amps, headphone cables, etc. You will have to find another hobby after buying one of these :wink:

Nov 12, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #634 of 6,065
Who cares if it's good enough. The DAC will be subject to goodness of the source. Transports and PC interfaces do sound different so your results will be relative. I accept that some will disagree so make that IMO 
rolleyes.gif
. Seems those that have tried, like the digital interface as well. 

There's more to adding internal music than a couple of SD slots. Codecs, library management, UI support and controls are in the mix. That said, it would be a nice option at additional cost and size.

Nov 12, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #635 of 6,065
Color me interested to learn more. I am quite content with my travel rig and not in the market but would love to audition these once they hit retailers.

I have noticed 2 areas of concern:

1. cables that are fixed. I have purchased after market cables silver, copper, silver litz, copper litz for all my phones and IEMs including my current K10s and Audezes. However, with electrostatics, I would rather have a SAFE and RELIABLE cable to handle that current. These cables are round vs. flat you see with stax and designed to perform differently. I have used SHURE warranty to handle issues and they have been top shelf. That works for me. I think people may be looking at these cables the same whay they do non-electrostats and forming opinions. This is really not apples:apples comparison.

2. Dac selected. My opinion is that music is the first priority. There is plenty of high fidelity garbage out there that was poorly mastered. On the other hand there is beautiful 16/44 that stands out as exceptional. I know everyone here knows that but it is worth repeating. Second, DAC implementation is as, if not more, important than DAC resolution. I have heard some BURR BROWN 16/44 DACS that sound far more musical than many DSD dacs on the market. I am more interested in learning what DAC chip was used and how well it was implemented. I have an ak240 and Chord HUGO and while it is nice to have headroom on resolution, I don't lose sight of DAC implentation.

Just my humble 2 pennies worth.

Cable should not be a concern. It's purpose built and not handling nearly as much current as standard earphones require. The construction at the ends plus the kevlar wrap should make them near indestructible.

As you said, Dac implementation is more important than chip chosen so I'd be more concerned with sound than chip used. Here's a translation of what they're using and why.

Although digital input and mounting of the DAC was not originally considered, given the latest trends, it is determined that we need additional support and DAC · EQ to Android and iOS equipped smartphone. Built-in DAC IC using the CS4272. Up to 96kHz / 24bit of correspondence and to point the corresponding status of battery life and smartphone for playback app to quality, that's because it was friendly and compatible with the terminal.

Basically to allow better (acceptable) performance from smartphones and PCs without any special driver requirements.

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #636 of 6,065
  Cable should not be a concern. It's purpose built and not handling nearly as much current as standard earphones require. The construction at the ends plus the kevlar wrap should make them near indestructible.

As you said, Dac implementation is more important than chip chosen so I'd be more concerned with sound than chip used. Here's a translation of what they're using and why.

Although digital input and mounting of the DAC was not originally considered, given the latest trends, it is determined that we need additional support and DAC · EQ to Android and iOS equipped smartphone. Built-in DAC IC using the CS4272. Up to 96kHz / 24bit of correspondence and to point the corresponding status of battery life and smartphone for playback app to quality, that's because it was friendly and compatible with the terminal.

Basically to allow better (acceptable) performance from smartphones and PCs without any special driver requirements.

Where did you get this from?
Googling that CS4272 chip (Cirrus) gives 24 bit 192kHz, so they capped the sampling for this one?

Nov 12, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #637 of 6,065
Thomann seem to be taking pre-orders. Forecast to ship in a couple of weeks

Sadly, that impression tho' reasonably based is not quite accurate.

I contacted Thomas by phone and email. The two week forecast applies to items they don't carry stocks of but order in response to customer request (if they are already available).  When I phoned they did not have a definite date for availability but have subsequently emailed to indicate that it looks as though they will not have them until the end of December. : - (

Impressed by the attentiveness of their customer support but still at a loss as to where I shall be able to get my Christmas present to myself from!

Nov 12, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #638 of 6,065
I found it on an overseas presentation. What current DAC chip doesn't so 24/192? It will have to do with choices made by Shure, in this case to not require a dedicated driver. Without SP/dif inputs, it's a fine choice. Not much to it once you use USB other than convenience of not downconverting and many players can do so anyway. My concern was not having a 192 SP/dif in. Finding out that it was optimized as an analog device and DAC added later makes me feel pretty good about quality analog sources.

Nov 13, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #641 of 6,065
  Who cares if it's good enough. The DAC will be subject to goodness of the source. Transports and PC interfaces do sound different so your results will be relative. I accept that some will disagree so make that IMO 
rolleyes.gif
. Seems those that have tried, like the digital interface as well. 

There's more to adding internal music than a couple of SD slots. Codecs, library management, UI support and controls are in the mix. That said, it would be a nice option at additional cost and size.

Transport certainly matters. I still find my Esoteric CD-player gives much much better sound just playing rebook CD than most DACs on the market, even if the latter are playing DSD/high-res files.

Nov 13, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #642 of 6,065
Unfortunately it will be the end of the year when we can purchase this earphone.
So probably the reviews will start to apear online sometimes at the begging of next year.Even so hopefully we will see a price drop, one can wish :)
Looking again carefully at the cable construction seems that will last.
Only the sound quality is left in question and i am sure many can live with the 24/96.

Nov 13, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #643 of 6,065
To those who are interested, and/or in the same situation as myself (post #527), Shure revised their specs regarding temperatures (http://www.shure.com/americas/kse1500):

From (last week):
[size=17.03px]Operating Temperature Range[/size]
0° to 45° C (32° to 113° F)

Storage Temperature

-18° to 57° C (0° to 135° F)

To (current):

Operating Temperature Range

-18° to 57° C (0° to 135° F)

Battery Charging Temperature

0° to 45° C (32° to 113° F)

Getting a little confused why the Operating Temperature Range changed.

Hopefully it is an initial misstatement being corrected, and the current Operating Temperature Range is the real range.

Cheers 

Nov 13, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #645 of 6,065
I do believe Shure will make this "masterpiece"(with quotation marks for maybe it's to early to say that.) greater than ever or any IEMs now available. The price, however, is the only problem indeed.

If the way Jude reacted to these wasn't exaggerated and they can be compared to the 009's, I wouldn't think twice about paying that much for that type of performance.

Having electrostatic performance whilst being sat on the bus, train or in the workplace, is something that has got me looking forward to these more than anything else out there at minute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back