Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Dec 25, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #5,956 of 6,067
Are the KSE1200 still relevant today considering the compeition? The measurements I see all over the place look quite terrible (large mid-dip and huge +10db treble spike around 8-10khz - which i understand can be damped a bit with comply, but not near enough) - all the different measurements I've seen online show this.. which makes me wonder why they're being touted as "accurate" and "neutral" when they look like an extremely exaggerated Sennheiser HD800S. I get that being electrostatic gives them a more delicate nature so perhaps those peaks don't hurt as much but still.. how do they compare against tonally well balanced and measuring IEMs like IERM9, Andromeda, Softears RSV, Mest MK2, HD800S and HD600 ?

I've found the KSE1200 selling brand new for 1200$ and wondering if I should jump on the train? The reviews I've seen have generally been quite favourable and surprisingly (some)people not complaining of extreme brightness like all the measurements say. Although some reviewers on certain other forum did think they're quite bad.

* Concerning measurements: I believe they tell 50% of the story - they're significant enough for me that I respect them and eventhough they tell one side of the story, that side is quite important for me - what I mean to say no matter how incredibly fast or full range or 3D a speaker may be, if it has bad tonal balance (dips and peaks) it's most likely a no go for me.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #5,958 of 6,067
Are the KSE1200 still relevant today considering the compeition? The measurements I see all over the place look quite terrible (large mid-dip and huge +10db treble spike around 8-10khz - which i understand can be damped a bit with comply, but not near enough) - all the different measurements I've seen online show this.. which makes me wonder why they're being touted as "accurate" and "neutral" when they look like an extremely exaggerated Sennheiser HD800S. I get that being electrostatic gives them a more delicate nature so perhaps those peaks don't hurt as much but still.. how do they compare against tonally well balanced and measuring IEMs like IERM9, Andromeda, Softears RSV, Mest MK2, HD800S and HD600 ?

I've found the KSE1200 selling brand new for 1200$ and wondering if I should jump on the train? The reviews I've seen have generally been quite favourable and surprisingly (some)people not complaining of extreme brightness like all the measurements say. Although some reviewers on certain other forum did think they're quite bad.

* Concerning measurements: I believe they tell 50% of the story - they're significant enough for me that I respect them and eventhough they tell one side of the story, that side is quite important for me - what I mean to say no matter how incredibly fast or full range or 3D a speaker may be, if it has bad tonal balance (dips and peaks) it's most likely a no go for me.
I think if you've been in high end audio for a while and know what electrostatic speakers sound like, then you will like the KSE1200.
When I listen to the KSE1200 system, I imagine that I'm in a well treated room with a couple high end subs and a couple of giant electrostatic speakers.
I have the Andromedas, and they're pretty good, but the KSE1200 just has more sub bass and the sound field is seamless where the space between instruments is more apparent. The Andromeda 2020s soundfield has more of a high end dynamic speaker presentation, with less "room-filling" sub bass.

Dec 25, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #5,959 of 6,067
Kse1200/kse1500 is probably one of the best bargain for higher end iems. Of all the iems I owned/heard, kse1200 is by far the one I like the most - simply without peers for sound quality. It just sounds musical and "right' to me! I refrain from calling it the best coz "sound quality" is highly subjective and the need to carry an energerizer might deter some guys.

Dec 25, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #5,960 of 6,067
I think if you've been in high end audio for a while and know what electrostatic speakers sound like, then you will like the KSE1200.
When I listen to the KSE1200 system, I imagine that I'm in a well treated room with a couple high end subs and a couple of giant electrostatic speakers.
I have the Andromedas, and they're pretty good, but the KSE1200 just has more sub bass and the sound field is seamless where the space between instruments is more apparent. The Andromeda 2020s soundfield has more of a high end dynamic speaker presentation, with less "room-filling" sub bass.

I had a couple of hour session with the kse1200

At first I was worried I could hear the measured graphs I was seeing online: the massive treble peak and mid suckout - but I was aware I wasn’t getting the best fit with the comply tips. I then tried the yellow foam tips which sealed will but still have that wonky tonality with dip followed by treble peak. I then tried the triple flange tips - got to say i felt a little discomfort putting them in, felt like I was getting probed but after a minute it was ok (although I have to be slow taking them out) - anywho with the triple flange the tonality changed completely for me to opposite from what I was seeing in the graphs: it feels really quite balanced now, like a gentler HD800s with super bass - there’s still that slight mids standoff which I like as it creates almost like a room effect (similar to hd800) but the treble is very controlled now, similar to Andromeda but even more controlled tonally not to mention technically it sounds couple of tiers above with microscopic nuances coming to light but in a very controlled manner.

All in all - I have to breathe a sigh of relief as I was quite worried with the online measurements but I can see that tips make a huuge difference with these IEMs change their tonal character significantly. With triple flange I’m not able to pinpoint what I’d like to eq really, it seems rather balanced, even studio like and able to stand with my other “smooth” iems like Sony IERM9, Softears RSV - even if they have slight differences tonally they all adhere to some kind or a correct and coherent tuning within the bounds of perceived neutrality .

Anyhow first impressions and all I’m not disappointed on first listen at all.

Very sensitive to tips - it’s possible to get a good tonality, experiment. For me triple flange slight discomfort = stellar sound. I’m hoping I will find a more comfortable tips alternative.

I’m using Mojo 2 as source but I might prefer Sony WM1AM2 as it bring little sweetness, color and holographic playfulness which the kse seem to enjoy

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #5,961 of 6,067

Absolutely.

Paired with Mojo 2 creates an amazing synergy. They aren’t neutral, they are more U shaped. Tonality as stated before is pretty accurate. Coherence, speed, and detail retrieval is great as well.

Electrostatic transducers in general have their own character. You like it or you don’t.

Dec 25, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #5,962 of 6,067
Absolutely.

Paired with Mojo 2 creates an amazing synergy. They aren’t neutral, they are more U shaped. Tonality as stated before is pretty accurate. Coherence, speed, and detail retrieval is great as well.

Electrostatic transducers in general have their own character. You like it or you don’t.
Oh I definitely like electrostatic, I find it difficult to see how someone wouldn’t, it’s so pure and delicate. My concern was with the wonky measurements I was seeing and some mixed reviews - I’m bit of a measurebator myself and focus on neutral smooth (gentler Harman style curve like Crinnacle’s), but this time I can say the graphs I’ve seen online don’t tell the full story either because they were taken with tips which don’t do them justice or because of some other factor - I can say this now kse sounds coherent and correct with triple flange tips - so much so I can imagine myself producing and mixing with these. It’s a relief as I took a gamble I decided to ignore online measurements to some extents (which usually bites me in the backside)

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #5,963 of 6,067

At first I was worried I could hear the measured graphs I was seeing online: the massive treble peak and mid suckout - but I was aware I wasn’t getting the best fit with the comply tips. I then tried the yellow foam tips which sealed will but still have that wonky tonality with dip followed by treble peak. I then tried the triple flange tips - got to say i felt a little discomfort putting them in, felt like I was getting probed but after a minute it was ok (although I have to be slow taking them out) - anywho with the triple flange the tonality changed completely for me to opposite from what I was seeing in the graphs: it feels really quite balanced now, like a gentler HD800s with super bass - there’s still that slight mids standoff which I like as it creates almost like a room effect (similar to hd800) but the treble is very controlled now, similar to Andromeda but even more controlled tonally not to mention technically it sounds couple of tiers above with microscopic nuances coming to light but in a very controlled manner.

All in all - I have to breathe a sigh of relief as I was quite worried with the online measurements but I can see that tips make a huuge difference with these IEMs change their tonal character significantly. With triple flange I’m not able to pinpoint what I’d like to eq really, it seems rather balanced, even studio like and able to stand with my other “smooth” iems like Sony IERM9, Softears RSV - even if they have slight differences tonally they all adhere to some kind or a correct and coherent tuning within the bounds of perceived neutrality .

Very sensitive to tips - it’s possible to get a good tonality, experiment. For me triple flange slight discomfort = stellar sound. I’m hoping I will find a more comfortable tips alternative.

I’m using Mojo 2 as source but I might prefer Sony WM1AM2 as it bring little sweetness, color and holographic playfulness which the kse seem to enjoy
Treble tamed for me by the comply tips with the tech defender. Otherwise I’ve brought the 20khz down a couple notches too.

Gotta love the UHD DSP.

Dec 25, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #5,964 of 6,067

Yeah, the triple flange tips are what I use, but I trim the stems of the triple flange tips, that way the stem is flush with the largest flange. It's discussed in the KSE1200 manual about trimming the triple flange tips.
Screenshot_20221225-121813-356.png

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #5,965 of 6,067
Treble tamed for me by the comply tips with the tech defender. Otherwise I’ve brought the 20khz down a couple notches too.

Gotta love the UHD DSP.
honestly with triple flange there’s zero treble issues for me and I’m treble sensitive. Comply might not quite do it for me because I think the mids might also be affected. I will experiment more.

What is a tech defender?

Dec 25, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #5,966 of 6,067
honestly with triple flange there’s zero treble issues for me and I’m treble sensitive. Comply might not quite do it for me because I think the mids might also be affected. I will experiment more.

What is a tech defender?
It’s the thin screen/foam to protect earwax from entering iem.
66A31875-668B-4767-85F2-DAB707031FDA.jpeg

Dec 25, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #5,967 of 6,067
Even with triple flanges I can now hear the upper mids dip, everything is a bit smoothed over and "safer" sounding, but this is counter balanced by it's technicalities as it's all audible and well defined still.. just safer. I think I'm beginning to see room for improvement with EQ, i will experiment..

Dec 26, 2022 at 2:47 AM Post #5,968 of 6,067
I wonder if there is some kind of impedance interaction between source and kse amplifier. I noticed with Mojo 2 and other sources that have OI of close to 0ohm it's a bit more neutral in general with lesser bass quantity (but still plentiful). Out of Sony WM1AM2 which I believe has OI of around 1ohm I notice significantly more bass quantity for surem and more liveliness somewhat.. I wonder if that's just the tuning of the Sony or maybe something else is going on.

Dec 26, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #5,969 of 6,067
Fr chart sometimes does not reflex what we will be heard.

I dont find 3k,5k is a problem on these phones.
8k spike is a problem of E8, to my ears.

SmartSelect_20221226_164238_YouTube.jpg
SmartSelect_20221226_164301_Wavelet.jpg

Dec 26, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #5,970 of 6,067
Even with triple flanges I can now hear the upper mids dip, everything is a bit smoothed over and "safer" sounding, but this is counter balanced by it's technicalities as it's all audible and well defined still.. just safer. I think I'm beginning to see room for improvement with EQ, i will experiment..
Have you tried this...

Post in thread 'Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones' https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shu...-electrostatic-earphones.785377/post-14364370

Users who are viewing this thread

Back