Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Oct 1, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #5,926 of 6,080
The question was that if headphones of almost the same price give a different sound, then why buy the HD820 those that are worse for you? In all respects, it is more correct to have one perfect KSE 1200-1500
And now we have come to the most important thing - the musician makes one sound image. After he has recorded the song, he usually listens to it on not very expensive professional sound equipment and says - this is what I wanted to hear when I created it. He doesn't make ten different sound options - just one.
When you listen to different very expensive headphones, you hear one and the same sound composition in different ways, not as it was intended by the musician - what is the joke and the meaning of such a false listening? :)

Wouldn't it be better to take an expensive sound DAC from such companies as the Grace Design m900 NuPrime DAC-10H, or iRME ADI-2 Pro FS and you will hear differently in Sennheiser HD 800 S or HD 8020 sound in its original form, as it was intended by the musician.
Personally, I have tried everything and I am a very big perfectionist and sophisticated at it. And now I can say that, for example, the combination to a minimum - Grace Design m900 and Neumann NDH 30, and give everything you need to hear the music as it really is, no less and no more details, no wider and no narrower stereo and sound stage , no more and no less frequency response over the entire range and so on.
So why spend more and get an unreal sound?
Then save a ton of money and get the HD280 pro

Oct 1, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #5,927 of 6,080
The question was that if headphones of almost the same price give a different sound, then why buy the HD820 those that are worse for you? In all respects, it is more correct to have one perfect KSE 1200-1500
And now we have come to the most important thing - the musician makes one sound image. After he has recorded the song, he usually listens to it on not very expensive professional sound equipment and says - this is what I wanted to hear when I created it. He doesn't make ten different sound options - just one.
When you listen to different very expensive headphones, you hear one and the same sound composition in different ways, not as it was intended by the musician - what is the joke and the meaning of such a false listening? :)

Wouldn't it be better to take an expensive sound DAC from such companies as the Grace Design m900 NuPrime DAC-10H, or iRME ADI-2 Pro FS and you will hear differently in Sennheiser HD 800 S or HD 8020 sound in its original form, as it was intended by the musician.
Personally, I have tried everything and I am a very big perfectionist and sophisticated at it. And now I can say that, for example, the combination to a minimum - Grace Design m900 and Neumann NDH 30, and give everything you need to hear the music as it really is, no less and no more details, no wider and no narrower stereo and sound stage , no more and no less frequency response over the entire range and so on.
So why spend more and get an unreal sound?
I think you should spend some time talking with tube amp listeners, haha, where you're actually putting something inaccurate in the chain while spending a lot to do it. It's because it fun. That's it.

Sometimes I feel like hearing things as close as intended as I can. That's why I have the KSE. But sometimes I want to just chill and have a warm, engaging (but still detailed) session. That's why I have the 820. That's also why I sometimes listen directly out of my Hugo 2 or tube amp.

I get where you're coming from. You just desire a one-and-done solution and spending more money is a waste. I get it, I actually used to be like that. But personally the more headphones I listened to, the more I realized they provide different experiences that can be equally valuable to me in different ways. But I did put a limit on how many I would have, cause I'm not rich (or obsessed). Ultimately, it's a hobby and the practically you're talking about doesn't necessarily apply because a lot of people are mostly trying to have fun and find different appealing experiences.

Oct 8, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #5,928 of 6,080
I'm still undecided with the KSE1500. Few things are stopping me from buying them right now.

I think the DAC could be better, I saw a video stating that the DAC is as it's now is only to get easily the apple certification. If it's tru, this is really a shame.

Secondly, I tend to broke cables after a few years of usage. And I'm afraid that the cable is gonna get damaged with time and the only way to solve this is by sending them directly to Shure with a high cost.

I'm also afraid of the battery life which implies the similar situation of the cable. I asl saw that charging and listening at the same time result in high distortion. Is it true?

But despite all of what I said, if these headphones represent an improvement over HD-800S, I would gladly buy them. Can someone compare the KSE1500 with the HD-800S.

Oct 8, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #5,929 of 6,080
I am just curious, it seems the resale value is horrible on KSE1500, often less than half of retail price. Is there a reason for this trend?

Oct 8, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #5,930 of 6,080
I am just curious, it seems the resale value is horrible on KSE1500, often less than half of retail price. Is there a reason for this trend?
The onboard dac leaves to be desired. Just buy the KSE1200

Oct 8, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #5,931 of 6,080
I'm still undecided with the KSE1500. Few things are stopping me from buying them right now.

I think the DAC could be better, I saw a video stating that the DAC is as it's now is only to get easily the apple certification. If it's tru, this is really a shame.

Secondly, I tend to broke cables after a few years of usage. And I'm afraid that the cable is gonna get damaged with time and the only way to solve this is by sending them directly to Shure with a high cost.

I'm also afraid of the battery life which implies the similar situation of the cable. I asl saw that charging and listening at the same time result in high distortion. Is it true?

But despite all of what I said, if these headphones represent an improvement over HD-800S, I would gladly buy them. Can someone compare the KSE1500 with the HD-800S.
buy the 1200 it is great the DAC on the 1500 is outclassed by the likes of a chord mojo for a fraction of the cost

Oct 8, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #5,932 of 6,080
yes, because it has in the market for some time

Oct 8, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #5,933 of 6,080

If you don't need the DAC pick the 1200, IMO neither option of dac&amp/ amp offers an ideal solution, it's the weakness of the system for sure, the amp isn't that strong and it's hella sensitive to static noise, what's good about it tho is the battery.
The one I bought is 4 Years old (2018 model) and it still have all day battery for me so don't worry about that part. I literally used it from 11 pm to 3 am with some brief stops inbetween and it's still not showing low battery indicator. 😂
Cable is IMO also not its weakpoint, think of any other Shure cables, and double it's strength and durability stats, that's how the KSE cable feels like, it ain't gonna break unless you mishandle it. (and you shouldn't it's a damn expensive system). Battery and cable would last 5-8 years easy with good care. And by that time, might as well send it to Shure for some maintenance.

I don't have HD800s, but the KSE managed to reach 80-90% of my ADX5000 (Often is said to be Audio Technica's version of HD800s) when plugged into my Tazzy, In a completely isolated iem.
One thing tho, if you want Soundstage, it's not the IEM for it.
What it's got is top tier positioning, layering and detail, all while having a surprising bass punch.
One step above my Andromeda and Z1R on that aspects for sure.

Direct H/O from smartphones and DAP isn't gonna yield as good of a performance, still great, just not phenomenal.
Well that's what make such a summit fi sound actually affordable for us mortal isn't it?

Also if anyone ever was worried about getting a fake (I sure did wonder the first time), the iem, amp, and box are all serial numbered.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #5,934 of 6,080

800s is far to reach kse in dynamic. 800s is also a high speed driver it won't got problem with complex music content, but dynamic is lack if compare to 1500/1200 (especially 1200).
And 800s is said bass light by someone while no one found that on kse.
Attack, decay, texture, speed, dynamic... all go to kse.
Stage is strength of 800s.

Oct 11, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #5,935 of 6,080
Tell me - here many write about super transparency, super detail, super attack and other fantastic things that 1500/1200 can do.
Can you give me some examples - what fantastic well-recorded and also high-quality mixed tracks can be worthy of 1500/1200 and so that the sound potential of these tracks can be fully revealed by these fantastic headphones?
Simple, if not complicated, the name of the group and artist, the name of the album and track.
Friends gave 1500 and other high-quality IEMs for a while for tests and I would like to urgently touch the beautiful and high-quality world of sound, which was so beautifully and seductively written about here!

Oct 11, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #5,936 of 6,080
I like
Tell me - here many write about super transparency, super detail, super attack and other fantastic things that 1500/1200 can do.
Can you give me some examples - what fantastic well-recorded and also high-quality mixed tracks can be worthy of 1500/1200 and so that the sound potential of these tracks can be fully revealed by these fantastic headphones?
Simple, if not complicated, the name of the group and artist, the name of the album and track.
Friends gave 1500 and other high-quality IEMs for a while for tests and I would like to urgently touch the beautiful and high-quality world of sound, which was so beautifully and seductively written about here!
I like dream pop stuff like cigarettesaftersex, they have a lot of atmosphere along with strong bass that sounds great on the KSE. Another band that's a little heavier than dream pop at times is bandofnothing, there's so many layers to a lot of their music, and the KSE makes those layers easy to pick apart, like "nothing" else I've heard.

Oct 11, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #5,937 of 6,080
Count Basic - More Than the Best - M.L. In The Sunshine
Donald Fagen - Kamakiriad - On The Dunes
Lee Ritenour - 6 string theory - "68"
George Duke - Face The Music - The Black Messiah pt.2
Marcus Miller - Renaissance - Cee-Tee-Eye

Oct 11, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #5,938 of 6,080

Well, you should hear difference on everything (you should hear more flaws in bad recordings as well as how great the proper ones are) but if you don't hear it then that's also ok. I don't feel the difference between cheap and expensive wine either so I'm happy to buy the cheaper stuff. Maybe I'm not wine connoisseur so maybe you're not an audiophile.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #5,939 of 6,080
Dude just listen to songs you like.
I got my kicks listening to Spotify Lofi playlist for hours that's what got me hooked with KSE the first time, everyone got their own preference, whether one worth their cost is up to you, but.
Just to note, lightly used KSE 1200 ain't as expensive as you think they are, they are about the same price or a bit more than second gen 846 In fact and IMO, a whole lot better.

Oct 11, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #5,940 of 6,080
Should I compare KSE 1200 with 64 Audio U12t?
Or will U12t not be able to compete anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back