Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Sep 17, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #5,791 of 6,081
Ah OK that sound promising.
It kinda is surprising tho, I guess the tuning on the 1200 is different from the 1500? I have more than one occasion heard people said it's a bit anemic in bass section.
OK then, How do you guys think the mids are on the KSE? Esp on upper mids, female vocal centered music

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #5,792 of 6,081
HD800s doesn't have any bass compared to KSE and KSE has substantially more bass than ADX5000. I'm looking for some open back full size headphones for some time to have something with big soundstage but all that I've tried lack the bass that KSE have.
Big Soundstage big bass the only one I can think of is maybe Empyrean? Dunno whether the drop of detail and technicality is worth it tho.

Sep 17, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #5,794 of 6,081
Sep 17, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #5,795 of 6,081
OK, now another question, is it alright if I drive the amp out of a headphone out instead of Line out?
My WM1A doesn't have a LineOut mode and neither does my V60/Xperia, have anyone tried driving the KSE out of the device I mentioned and got good synergy?
If so, how do you set the volume up on the source? Max or slightly below it?
Or do you just adjust with the LED for clipping?

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #5,796 of 6,081
Ah yeah also, how is the battery life on you guys' sample these days? Have anyone got a 3-4 YO ones? Does it still live up to at least 80% of its promised 12 hours battery life?

Having to charge wired headphones to use them does kinda sound like a bit of a hassle.

Sep 17, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #5,797 of 6,081
They are suitable to use with normal headphone out. Infact WM1A is my main source for KSE1200 :wink: My setting is leaving 105 out of 120 volume steps on WM1A with -10db input pad on KSA amp and I setting the volume depending on album on the KSE as usual. On other devices I use the light until its all green with no red indicating clipping.

I have KSE for over 4 years now and out of the box I got almost 14 hours of use on one charge. I counted last year and still got 12 hours out of it.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #5,798 of 6,081
High gain or low gain?
I am still surprised with the good impressions on Bass, I have heard the 1500 can be a bit anemic at times, I guess the 1200 is differently tuned?

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #5,799 of 6,081
High gain or low gain?
I am still surprised with the good impressions on Bass, I have heard the 1500 can be a bit anemic at times, I guess the 1200 is differently tuned?
It is not. Same exact earphones as the KSE1500 (they even say KSE1500 on the earpieces).

It's true that they're lean on bass. It's more about quality than quantity with them. Most people want more bass than is actually there. When it's not that, they complain the headphone doesn't have enough bass.

Sep 17, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #5,801 of 6,081
Normal gain.

I think that depends what are you comparing them too. KSE bass is also an electrostatic one so it's very quick and controlled. It may sounds less full because of it than from dynamic driver. It's definately not what you can call 'phat' base :wink: For me it's very impactful (way more than bass in Stax headphones), it goes deep and there is good amount of bass in general. I see that you own ADX5000 which I also owned for couple of months. One of the reasons that I let them go was that I wanted more bass. Plain and simple. What was there was quite good, with reasonable impact and wasn't overly controlled but I actually like some wooliness in bass so I didn't mind this. It's only that I wanted more of it especially that ADX5000 are also quite bright. KSE have more bass, are darker and bit warmer that ADX, they are also smoother, cleaner and faster. ADX on the other hand offer bigger picture and more air.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #5,802 of 6,081
It is not. Same exact earphones as the KSE1500 (they even say KSE1500 on the earpieces).

It's true that they're lean on bass. It's more about quality than quantity with them. Most people want more bass than is actually there. When it's not that, they complain the headphone doesn't have enough bass.
Ah OK, I do know it's the exact same headphone, I'm just wondering whether the amp is (as it's also lacking the all the EQ and dsp options 1500 dac amp have) exactly the same as stock 1500 with no dsp applied or slightly different, like an EQ'd 1500.
Asking as some reviewer really loved the 1500, but only with loudness setting on, or etc

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #5,803 of 6,081
Normal gain.

I think that depends what are you comparing them too. KSE bass is also an electrostatic one so it's very quick and controlled. It may sounds less full because of it than from dynamic driver. It's definately not what you can call 'phat' base :wink: For me it's very impactful (way more than bass in Stax headphones), it goes deep and there is good amount of bass in general. I see that you own ADX5000 which I also owned for couple of months. One of the reasons that I let them go was that I wanted more bass. Plain and simple. What was there was quite good, with reasonable impact and wasn't overly controlled but I actually like some wooliness in bass so I didn't mind this. It's only that I wanted more of it especially that ADX5000 are also quite bright. KSE have more bass, are darker and bit warmer that ADX, they are also smoother, cleaner and faster. ADX on the other hand offer bigger picture and more air.
What you mentioned is all that I ever wanted 😁
Ordered
Slightly nervous as this is basically the most expensive audio purchase I've ever done, none of the others i got were this expensive, but that's also because Sony and Audio Technica is a selling for a pretty nice MSRP here locally.

I Was aiming for an Andromeda 2020 or an IERM9 but then this pops up, an option I never thought of, but kinda make so much sense.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #5,804 of 6,081
Ah OK, I do know it's the exact same headphone, I'm just wondering whether the amp is (as it's also lacking the all the EQ and dsp options 1500 dac amp have) exactly the same as stock 1500 with no dsp applied or slightly different, like an EQ'd 1500.
Asking as some reviewer really loved the 1500, but only with loudness setting on, or etc
The amp is exactly the same. The only difference between them is the dac and EQ function of the KSE1500. By default, and using a same external dac, they should sound exactly the same.

Sep 17, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #5,805 of 6,081
The amp is exactly the same. The only difference between them is the dac and EQ function of the KSE1500. By default, and using a same external dac, they should sound exactly the same.
Ah OK, then that means if a reviewer are using the 1500 with Linein and no dsp it should reflect the sound of 1200 quite closely right?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back