Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Jan 24, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #4,816 of 6,065
NIce :) this MOD is good for big year holes, mine are very small :)
I also took the Yellow foam and cut only the foam and put it in the silicon sleeve - betwin the bore and the side, this got better seal and sound isolation.
Sory - no pics , did it 3 years ago.

HAHAHA, you did that too? Glad I'm not the only one. A while back I figured I'd find a use for the ugly yellow foam tips. Great minds think alike, eh?
IMG_20200123_231004.jpg

Jan 24, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #4,818 of 6,065
HAHAHA, you did that too? Glad I'm not the only one. A while back I figured I'd find a use for the ugly yellow foam tips. Great minds think alike, eh?
yes exactly.
But try to cut the botom of the bore .
i marked it in red in hte picture - this will push the tip more down to the body of the KSE so the seal (body + tip) will be better in the ear.
IMG_20200123_231004.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200123_231004.jpg
    IMG_20200123_231004.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Jan 24, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #4,819 of 6,065
Also, interesting how Crinacle changed the sound signature description from "Bright DF-neutral" to "Bright V-shape". Do you guys agree with that assessment? Do you consider KSE V-shaped?

No NO NO - you dont put the KSE into categories !! :):)
you must talk about match with the source (DAC AMP CABLES) and better to compare with the most natural source there is... but is there one?
For example -
I can hear difference betwin Neotech silver USB and Intona USB cable - silver more wide in stage and transpernt but relax the bass, Intona do the oposite, so it depend on your AMP and HP to say wich is better for YOU ( and you only :))
COWON L vs CALYX M - it is like Gibson with Marshal vs Yamaha and PEEVEE.... a total diferent sound signeture and (!!!!) frequency response.
Poal Simon "Cant Run But" - in the begining after a few seconds there is a contrabass comming in from sides, there is a small hiss on the right side (like amp hiss) that is recorded in the track...
In the Calyx i cant hear it !! better say it is much less volume (this hiss). and i LOVE the Calyx sound, love it.
But what does it say.... Calyx did a special FR setup that mask some HIgh FR ( and they have done this amazingly GOOD) so lets say connecting the KSE to Calyx ..... OMG OMG... no words.
and yes - as a PL-PL 3.5 i use a unique copper cable custom done (as you gass...i prefer "warmer" sound).

So , after all this bla bla - i think the KSE is the most TRANSPARENT IEM ever, it has the super highs, it has the mids (if your source is tube...) and supper correct bass.

Now, i use FabFilter PRO-Q3 EQ - this EQ has real time music hystogram that helps you learn and undretsand the relations in the song betwin the instruments and vocal .
You can undresrand if your HP or IEM is more to here or to there in the FR - but (!!) you need to test with some refference track - for this i like to use Pentatonix Halleluya. As a former performer and singer that had my time in the studio ... we used to sung exactly the same, 10 vocals accapela - so i know exactly how it should sound and how the Sound Engineer would have done the Studio MIX - the volume ballance bewtwin the singers.

So it is not only the KSE - it is the whole chain that affect what you hear, and there is no right or wrong - simply try to match what sout you and your prefered FR and Stage.

For me KSE is a keeper.

Jan 24, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #4,820 of 6,065
20200124_144946.jpg
Kse mod ear tip of mine.
Always use this type and satisfying sound property.
None of single Spinfit can be as good as (to my ears).

Earvax filter in this mod is not only for covering/protecting but also defuse the treble, increase breathing room to get more airy but nothing hot.

P.S who said kse is V shape bright. Okay, he/she may forgot to notice on rubber small bore tip.

Some here, include me refer kse as small headstage cans. Yes true, especialy with rubber default tip and silicon spinfit tips.
It is really wrong on a fine tunning eartip!

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #4,821 of 6,065
Kse mod ear tip of mine.
Always use this type and satisfying sound property.
None of single Spinfit can be as good as (to my ears).

Earvax filter in this mod is not only for covering/protecting but also defuse the treble, increase breathing room to get more airy but nothing hot.

P.S who said kse is V shape bright. Okay, he/she may forgot to notice on rubber small bore tip.

Some here, include me refer kse as small headstage cans. Yes true, especialy with rubber default tip and silicon spinfit tips.
It is really wrong on a fine tunning eartip!

Jan 29, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #4,823 of 6,065
My apologies if someone has already asked the question but here it is: how do you compare/rate these against the SE 846s? in particular the bass (I am assuming the mid-range and treble on the KSE 1200/1500 is a better/clearer/more "electrostatic".

Also has anyone heard these versus the typical sound signature of the Audezes? one reason I purchased the 846s is because the have a similar SS to the LCD-4z, giving me a portable alternative. How do the KSE1200/1500 compare to the Audeze house sound?

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #4,824 of 6,065
My apologies if someone has already asked the question but here it is: how do you compare/rate these against the SE 846s? in particular the bass (I am assuming the mid-range and treble on the KSE 1200/1500 is a better/clearer/more "electrostatic".

Also has anyone heard these versus the typical sound signature of the Audezes? one reason I purchased the 846s is because the have a similar SS to the LCD-4z, giving me a portable alternative. How do the KSE1200/1500 compare to the Audeze house sound?

Thank you in advance for any replies.

You understand what "detail monster" means moving from the 846 to KSE, especially in the treble due to the 846's roll-off. The 846 is the livelier sound (with its punchy bass and forward mids) while the KSE is more neutral. I was worried about losing that liveliness moving to the KSE but to me, it wasn't that stark. Tuning-wise, it's apparent that the KSE is in the same family. It's just, the freq resp is flatter. So The bass won't punch you, but it still shows up with authority when the track calls for it. The bass goes deep (I would actually say deeper than the 846) but won't rock your brain. The mids are still prominent but I would say not quite as forward. Everything is tamed so it's at the same level to my ears. I don't get that "coldness" from an electrostat. The treble kinda speaks for itself. Loads of detail compared to the 846. It can get sharp for me (I'm treble sensitive, so my ears preferred the 846 in this respect), but I use foam tips with the KSE and it helps. Soundstage I would say is a little wider on the 846. It isn't bad on the KSE, just nothing to write home about. I'm speaking only about the width. KSE has open/airy quality like the 846 in the space it has, and decent imaging.

Regarding clarity, I didn't really find the 846 not clear, just not super resolving. Didn't know what "transparency" meant until moving to the KSE. All nuisances are realizable without effort. Ultimately, you gotta ask yourself if you're willing to pull back on a little liveliness for quality. If so, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Jan 30, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #4,825 of 6,065
You understand what "detail monster" means moving from the 846 to KSE, especially in the treble due to the 846's roll-off. The 846 is the livelier sound (with its punchy bass and forward mids) while the KSE is more neutral. I was worried about losing that liveliness moving to the KSE but to me, it wasn't that stark. Tuning-wise, it's apparent that the KSE is in the same family. It's just, the freq resp is flatter. So The bass won't punch you, but it still shows up with authority when the track calls for it. The bass goes deep (I would actually say deeper than the 846) but won't rock your brain. The mids are still prominent but I would say not quite as forward. Everything is tamed so it's at the same level to my ears. I don't get that "coldness" from an electrostat. The treble kinda speaks for itself. Loads of detail compared to the 846. It can get sharp for me (I'm treble sensitive, so my ears preferred the 846 in this respect), but I use foam tips with the KSE and it helps. Soundstage I would say is a little wider on the 846. It isn't bad on the KSE, just nothing to write home about. I'm speaking only about the width. KSE has open/airy quality like the 846 in the space it has, and decent imaging.

Regarding clarity, I didn't really find the 846 not clear, just not super resolving. Didn't know what "transparency" meant until moving to the KSE. All nuisances are realizable without effort. Ultimately, you gotta ask yourself if you're willing to pull back on a little liveliness for quality. If so, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Thank you very much for that detailed reply. Having spoken with the dealer i'm thinking of keeping the 846s and having both before I decide what I want to do long term. Part of me worries because I wanted the 846s as a "portable" version of my Audeze LCD 4z, so Im hoping the sound signature on the KSE won't be too different (as per your comment that they are audibly of the same family).

Again many thanks for making the effort to help me

Jan 30, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #4,827 of 6,065
I have the KSE1500, but I start to be feed-up carying and charging a second Amp. So I am trying to find a "standard" IEM that can replace my SHURE and be plugged directly into my DAP.

I will be able to compare soon my KSE1500 with the FIR M5, which has Electrostatic driver for the upper-hights...

I will let you know if the KSE can be beaten or at least equal...

Jan 30, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #4,830 of 6,065
I've reviewed Empire Ears Valkyrie with this Sonion electrostatic driver (which is in fact electret variation) and Oriolus Percivali with double electrostat driver and no, they still can't match the KSE effortless highs.

I wonder how much truth there is to these actually being electrostatic drivers without an energizer, let alone the engineering/experience to do a proper job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back