Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Feb 22, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #1,711 of 6,080

I didn't mean to imply that I expect anywhere near the performance of my home setup in the KSE1500.  I would be happy with a reasonable compromise, one that was truly portable [not a 3-box stack].   But from reading the reviews so far, it appears that Shure put most of their investment in the electrostatic iems and amp, and the DAC was the weak link in the system.  This is a pretty universal opinion from those that have heard the setup.  I guess I will need to hear it for myself before laying out $3K.

After owning the kse1500 for a month now, I really do believe both DAC and especially the Amp are whats restricting the kse1500 from its true potential. I have been running it with the Hugo and while the sound stage is wider and very micro detailed, the kse1500 Amp is not optimal to process all of the output signal from the Hugo.

Feb 22, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #1,712 of 6,080

After owning the kse1500 for a month now, I really do believe both DAC and especially the Amp are whats restricting the kse1500 from its true potential. I have been running it with the Hugo and while the sound stage is wider and very micro detailed, the kse1500 Amp is not optimal to process all of the output signal from the Hugo.

Thanks for your thoughts on this matter.   I didn't realize that the amplifier section was also a limitation.  Sounds like Shure needs to rethink the package.  I am still looking forward to hearing it myself.

Feb 22, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #1,713 of 6,080

Thanks for your thoughts on this matter.   I didn't realize that the amplifier section was also a limitation.  Sounds like Shure needs to rethink the package.  I am still looking forward to hearing it myself.

Its still a great IEM a definite keeper for me. Just means I have wait for better portable electrostatic amp to be released hopefully in the near future.

I pairs really well with the mojo due to its warmer sound signature and portability, but the Hugo is much more revealing.  

Feb 22, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #1,714 of 6,080
How would you know that the amplifier is an issue if you can't compare it with another amp? Just curious. If the amp and DAC are weak, then the price is definitely not justified to me. 

Feb 22, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #1,715 of 6,080
  How would you know that the amplifier is an issue if you can't compare it with another amp? Just curious. If the amp and DAC are weak, then the price is definitely not justified to me. 

This is just my opinion coming from a Hugo > ALO Rx > K10 setup and listening to the same music with the kse1500. 

As for the price, you pay for the first and best in class electrostatic IEM in the market with zero competitors.

The kse1500 DAC/Amp reminds me of the beloved CLAS but in a smaller portable format. 

Feb 22, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #1,716 of 6,080

Hi 35FLE! I'm curious to know how you reached your conclusion on the amp being another weak link? I understand several of us have made comparisons with the DAC, but how have you been able to isolate the effect of the amp? Do you have another electrostatic amp with a LEMO-out to do a direct A/B?

Looks like I posted basically the same question as robm123. Sorry rob - didn't see your post.

Feb 22, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #1,717 of 6,080
Actually regarding Hugo and kse1500, I think not many feels it's a good pair with the kse1500. So I'm really unsure how you can come to a conclusion it's the amp section when the pairing synergy itself isn't good. I tried with the Dave recently and thought with the kse1500 it's totally exciting. Also do try different material for your interconnect. It really does make a diff.

Feb 22, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #1,718 of 6,080

I'm confused. Why not use the - 10 dB or - 20 dB reduction that the amp offers? Or reduce the output of the Hugo? IIRC, Hugo and Mojo implementation of volume control means near identical specs regardless of output level.

Yeah, the DAC can be bettered with an external DAC, but let's be realistic. It's not a bad DAC (is there anysuch thing in the 21st century?). To my mind, the DAC is a nice extra, but not a primary reason to buy the KSE1500.

Feb 22, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #1,719 of 6,080
Hi 35FLE! I'm curious to know how you reached your conclusion on the amp being another weak link? I understand several of us have made comparisons with the DAC, but how have you been able to isolate the effect of the amp? Do you have another electrostatic amp with a LEMO-out to do a direct A/B?

Looks like I posted basically the same question as robm123. Sorry rob - didn't see your post.

I was only referring to how the kse1500 Amp is processing the sound output from the hugo. Other Amps are capable to reveal more of the Hugo's output potential, more wider and depth sound stage. 

Feb 22, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #1,720 of 6,080
I'm confused. Why not use the - 10 dB or - 20 dB reduction that the amp offers? Or reduce the output of the Hugo? IIRC, Hugo and Mojo implementation of volume control means near identical specs regardless of output level.

Yeah, the DAC can be bettered with an external DAC, but let's be realistic. It's not a bad DAC (is there anysuch thing in the 21st century?). To my mind, the DAC is a nice extra, but not a primary reason to buy the KSE1500.

This is with the -10dB input reduction. I'm not saying it is bad its just what it is. 

Feb 22, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #1,723 of 6,080
So, its your guess that the amp has something to do with it? That's a fair point. I would just be surprised, because in my experience, when an amp is designed specifically for a speaker, its usually a great pairing that can't be duplicated by random matching. 

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #1,724 of 6,080
  So, its your guess that the amp has something to do with it? That's a fair point. I would just be surprised, because in my experience, when an amp is designed specifically for a speaker, its usually a great pairing that can't be duplicated by random matching. 

True, but in this case Shure is packing in a DAC (that is also iOS compatible), an Amp, and more importantly power (200 volts) to drive the IEM's in a portable unit. I and a lot others think maybe they should of focused on just the Amp section and ditch the DAC.

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #1,725 of 6,080
DAC = a nice lil add-on. Not the main course. Much as the DAC that few remember in the original Orpheus was. Though more useful since for the KSE1500 it adds to portability.

Amp: Without another amp to compare to, we have no idea what contributions the current amp is or is not making.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back