Shure E5c's or the Ety ER4's?
Aug 13, 2004 at 7:16 AM Post #31 of 47
i have it on the way or sitting at home (4p-s cable). I usually use it straight out of my ipaq, but i figure i'll get some use with the s cable and a headphone amp during long coding sessions coming this fall. Not to totally knock the e5, but it's just not my cup of tea. I think you get more value with the etys, and better sound at that.

Aug 13, 2004 at 11:46 AM Post #32 of 47
EQing the Ety's bass end is good but can push the phones into overload if you like to listen at robust (live) levels. I have been using the Westone UM-2's for a while now and am quite happy. Sold the Shure E5's after a lengthy comparison period. The Shure's will be more easily sold though at a later date if you want to upgrade. The Westone UM 2's are a bit better balanced than the Shure E5's with exellent bass and a more extended top end-in my opinion. Both the Shure And Westone handle ridiculous amounts of power and blow the doors off the Ety's in this regard. The Westone UM2 has a much smaller, braided, cable than the Shure and is thus more comfortable to wear and conforming. The Shure cable would come out the winner in a "which cable will hold up under the worst conditions" test though. As I have noted before, I like both the Shure and the Westone's with a high frequency boost applied to bring out the detail a bit-you see I use to own the Ety's. Good Luck.

Aug 13, 2004 at 3:28 PM Post #34 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by rabbitsfoot
EQing the Ety's bass end is good but can push the phones into overload if you like to listen at robust (live) levels.

That must have been some serious lf boost or overall volume!
What were the symptoms of overload you experienced?
What were you driving them with ?

I have been experimenting with the Er4's and found they can reproduce quite extreme punch and weight with some settings.
I worried about the strength of those tiny little transducers, and kept my tests brief.

Setmenu

Aug 13, 2004 at 4:03 PM Post #35 of 47
Yeah, I've seen how punchy the bass could be from the Ety - Benchmark DAC1 setup. I liked it a lot for the moment during the meet - it gave rock music a lot of speed and impact. Definetly not the best thing for everyone as some like heavy bass rather than punchy bass, which might be why people prefer the round and wholeness of bass on the HD650's. Too impactful bass is fatiguing to some (or all). I guess this unique punchiness we're talking about detracts the "naturalness" from a "speaker based" audiophile's perspective, but it still is a hell of an experience. Maybe you'll need a good source such as the Benchmark to give that punchiness true authority.

Aug 13, 2004 at 4:21 PM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by lojay
Yeah, I've seen how punchy the bass could be from the Ety - Benchmark DAC1 setup. I liked it a lot for the moment during the meet - it gave rock music a lot of speed and impact. Definetly not the best thing for everyone as some like heavy bass rather than punchy bass, which might be why people prefer the round and wholeness of bass on the HD650's. Too impactful bass is fatiguing to some (or all). I guess this unique punchiness we're talking about detracts the "naturalness" from a "speaker based" audiophile's perspective, but it still is a hell of an experience. Maybe you'll need a good source such as the Benchmark to give that punchiness true authority.

Hi lojay
All my 'equalizing' is done with passive filter networks thus far.
I have made some gentle alterations to the overall character of the phones.
Getting the bass nice has been tricky at times , balancing the very low end
boost with the midbass frequencies so that the sound is weighty and dynamic
without too much fatiguing punch in the lower midbass .
They are sounding very nice now, full and detailed without that tendency toward shrillness.

Cheers

Setmenu

Aug 13, 2004 at 5:10 PM Post #37 of 47
I am using the IEM's for monitoring my Roland TD-10 Drum unit so some live volume kick drum can push the ETY's into overload at some realistic (loud) volume levels. Probably wouldn't be a major concern used for regular music use. Boosting the Ety's definitely helps to balance the phones in comparison to the Shure E5's and Westone UM-2's. I didn't notice the Ety's being too bass shy before getting hold of the Shure E5's and while I thought the E5's were terrible on first listen, the bass end did grow on me to the point that I prefered to EQ the high end and have the power handling capability to handle about anything including live drum monitoring levels. Eventually, deciding on the Westone's for the reasons I noted in my previous post. Your mileage may vary. I do use a Shure PSM-600 amplifier/belt pack for this useage which provides me not only the hi-frequency boost but a limiter built in for live use.

Aug 13, 2004 at 6:16 PM Post #38 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by rabbitsfoot
I am using the IEM's for monitoring my Roland TD-10 Drum unit so some live volume kick drum can push the ETY's into overload at some realistic (loud) volume levels. Probably wouldn't be a major concern used for regular music use. Boosting the Ety's definitely helps to balance the phones in comparison to the Shure E5's and Westone UM-2's. I didn't notice the Ety's being too bass shy before getting hold of the Shure E5's and while I thought the E5's were terrible on first listen, the bass end did grow on me to the point that I prefered to EQ the high end and have the power handling capability to handle about anything including live drum monitoring levels. Eventually, deciding on the Westone's for the reasons I noted in my previous post. Your mileage may vary. I do use a Shure PSM-600 amplifier/belt pack for this useage which provides me not only the hi-frequency boost but a limiter built in for live use.

Live kick drum levels, that explains it!
Poor ears...
blink.gif
wink.gif

Realistic sound levels can be exhilarating but my own ears would be less than
impressed if exposed for anything other than very short periods.[tinitus.. eek]

Please excuse my ignorance , but could you explain the 'limiter for live use'?

Cheers

Setmenu

Aug 13, 2004 at 8:12 PM Post #39 of 47
Well, actually, I do like to monitor drum levels high enough on the kik to get a big full articulate sound with enough low end to add reality to the sound. I don't listen where it hurts or makes my eyes blink but to get realistic, less compressed, low frequency and even full frequency sounds from IEM's, takes a pretty robust driver or drivers and found the ETY with bass boost to distort just below the levels I would like to get to (Although still a pretty high level). Probably wouldn't distort with the bass boost inactivated at this level, but would lose the punch and bigness on the bottom. A limiter is helpfull in live situations so somebody's volume being accidentally (sure!!) being turned up too loud would not cause damage to everyones ears listening and to provide hearing protection in general for the performer that just has to keep pushing it louder and louder. Regards.

Aug 13, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #40 of 47
For a while I got fed up about writing about this, but I'm ready to return to the fray and to repeat the below post in different wordings many times
evil_smiley.gif

The E5 is as detailed where it matters as the ER-4P, albeit without the emphasised highs. Do a simple thing on the iPod... switch on Bass Reducer, which is about the only EQ curve on the 3G/Mini iPod which works properly
wink.gif
This, with the foamies or the modded silicone tips is my default all-purpose position and it gives you plenty of detail while never being annoying or 'sterile'. With the EQ curve, the low ends are reduced but you don't lose access to the deeper bass extension (yes, it goes lower contrary to what anyone else says) of the E5.

And when you need large bass hits on the iPod, then you simply switch off the Bass Reducer. The E5's bass also comes in handy in situation such as public transport travelling, as they compensate for near-infra/infrasonics transmitted through the body and prevent the music from sounding tinny.

Aug 19, 2004 at 7:57 PM Post #42 of 47
The E5c's arrived and they are something else. I really enjoy litening to them.

The best thing about them is they are efficient and are easily driven by my ipod (even by my mpio mp3 player).

The bad this is that they are efficient and are easily driven by my Ipod! I am gonna go deaf! I know I should lay off the volume but I have yet to find their breaking point.

I am trying to listen for a weakness in these phones but have yet to find one. I will say it took a little time to find the most comfortable sleeve for my ear.

Thanks to all who responded to this post.

Aug 19, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #43 of 47
glad you like the e5cs, i love mine too, much more than my er4p(personal opinion) for most people including me, the foam is the best earbud, comfortable and best sound, awesome fit too

yea the e5cs are efficient, i listen much below 1/4 of the volume strip, i'm afraid that someday(probably soon) i'll accidentally turn it all the way up and become death

is there a possible ipod hack that can limit the volume? one design besides the battery that i find crappy is how easily the volume can be turned up

Aug 20, 2004 at 2:30 PM Post #44 of 47
Since you got the E5c, why don't you use the supplied attenuator to reduce the volume?

If all the supplied sleeves don't suit you try getting some ety foamies. Works wonders for me plus I don't have to insert it as deep to get a good seal because it is slightly larger yet more pliable than Shure's own foamies.

Aug 20, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #45 of 47
I believe that about six months ago I posted the same request for advice as you have here. I bought the E5's based on reviews, descriptions, and advice from this forum. I have never heard the Ety's so I can't really comment. However, I am very pleased with the Shures. I can also confirm comments above that they do improve a great deal with burn-in, and, at least initially, the memory cable and fitting them properly does take a bit of patient experimentation. I would recommend the Shures without hesitation. There has been a lot of talk around here lately about the Ultimate Ears and the Sensaphonics. [...not to make your decision-making process any more difficult :) ] Good luck...
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back