Shure E5c's or the Ety ER4's?
Aug 11, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #16 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by toaster22
remember that he said he listens to ROCK, so the worst that could happen is that he might not hear any bass...

I hear bass with my etys, p, s, amped, or straight out of the karma. Maybe there is something wrong with mine.

Aug 11, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #17 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by marmul
Thanks for the lowdown on the c and s. The model I am getting is actually the S, so I guess no cool box for me.

actually, it's just the e5 and the e5c. the "s" was just a grammatical thing...the e5's come with this, the e5c's come with that.
wink.gif

Aug 11, 2004 at 11:04 PM Post #18 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by remilard
I hear bass with my etys, p, s, amped, or straight out of the karma. Maybe there is something wrong with mine.

you, (as do i) have no problems with the bass reproduction of the etys. however, worst case scenario, which is what we were talking about, is that marmul doesn't hear any bass. Some people have major issues with the etys reproduction of bass. it is possible that worst case scenario, marmul could be one of them.

Aug 12, 2004 at 3:05 AM Post #19 of 47
i agree with toaster, he might not hear any bass, compared to the e5cs, the bass difference is night and day, unless you want super duper highs, the e5cs will top the er4ps in almost everything else(my opinion)

if he has the money, i'd be on the safe side and get the e5cs

Aug 12, 2004 at 3:31 AM Post #20 of 47
Let me weigh in on the other side of the fence. Ety ER4Ps all the way. Had the E5s and sold them. It was like owning one of those sub-woofers you hear going down the street..THUMP, THUMP, THUD...with the Etys you get a nice, clean sound signature. Fresh details, beautiful articulation. I will also be the first to admit OTOH, that they do need an amp to achieve their full potential.

Aug 12, 2004 at 3:36 AM Post #21 of 47
I took e2cs over ER4s. I never could get comfortable with the Etys, didn't like the bass (PLEASE don't tell me about the seal again) or the cord, and thought the SHure's provided about 85% of the sound quality for 30% of the price. They've also proven extremely durable.

Aug 12, 2004 at 6:22 AM Post #23 of 47
i've owned both.

I fell back on the er4p, i found the e5's to muddy (as described), too much treble, as well as generally annoying and uncomfortable to deal with, with the memory cable. I also think they are overpriced. The ety's on the other hand are a good deal, and you get what you pay for. You can't compare the two based on price, but i guess if you enjoy rock, you might enjoy the deeper bass the e5's have, which in my opinion is their only advantage.

I listened to both er4p and e5's unamped, and i still prefer er4p.

Aug 12, 2004 at 7:53 AM Post #24 of 47
ER 4P/S all the way for me too. To get bass out of the Ety's is very, very simple. Simply plug them into a source/amp with some kind of bass boost. I found that the absolute best bass boosts lie in the older, vintage Sont pcdp like the D-350, which I have and use all the time...in fact, most of the time. Another thing that works is a crossfeed...they also add a lot in the lower end category. Honestly, my Ety's now have as much bass as the E5c's do (which I've heard and like very much) and they also rival my Senn HD650's bass!! And that's saying something! But the Ety's bass is just altogether better because of the extreme accuracy that the bass maintains, meaning it is still in balance with the rest of the Ety's accurate presentation accross the spectrum. In comparison, the E5's bass is simply put, muddy and not as textured and accurate.
frown.gif
...IMO. With all that, you get the sparkling, detailed high end of the Ety's included in with that bass...the best of both worlds is always the best.
biggrin.gif
etysmile.gif
=can't live without em'.

Aug 12, 2004 at 8:27 AM Post #25 of 47
Quote:

thought the SHure's provided about 85% of the sound quality for 30% of the price

Yeah, and the CD3000 is 85% of the R-10 (as people say) and 20% of its price.
wink.gif

Aug 12, 2004 at 10:51 AM Post #26 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeplin
ER 4P/S all the way for me too. To get bass out of the Ety's is very, very simple. Simply plug them into a source/amp with some kind of bass boost.

i've done that with the pocket reference, the bass was awesome, after like 2 minutes i was crying because of the fatique, no such problem with the e5c(through ipod mini)

Aug 12, 2004 at 2:19 PM Post #27 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
i've owned both.

I fell back on the er4p, i found the e5's to muddy (as described), too much treble, as well as generally annoying and uncomfortable to deal with, with the memory cable. I also think they are overpriced. The ety's on the other hand are a good deal, and you get what you pay for. You can't compare the two based on price, but i guess if you enjoy rock, you might enjoy the deeper bass the e5's have, which in my opinion is their only advantage.

I listened to both er4p and e5's unamped, and i still prefer er4p.

did you also buy the conversion cable? or does the 4p work ok on an amp? i don't think i'll be using an amp enough to justify another 40 dollar drop

Aug 12, 2004 at 3:10 PM Post #28 of 47
Not that is has to be said again. But the E5 sound better unamped then the er4p. I have the E5 and ER4Ps and the volume level alone on the E5 is quiet a bit higher. With an amp there is a different story. But without and amp I don't really see this as a question. There just isn't enough power in an ipod or mini to drive the er4p correctly. Where that isn't as much of a problem with the E5s.

Once you get into an amp you deal with the sound-to-noise ratio with the E5. Which is very high so you need to have a really good clean amp in order not to have a hissy situation.
mad.gif

Aug 12, 2004 at 3:45 PM Post #29 of 47
ok... since i'm focusing on the ety 4p (i can't afford e5s), will they play well on my laptop and rio900? I use my laptop everyday so i'm hoping the 4P's will sound really good. currently i'm using sony's ex71 and if the sound won't be that much better, I can't justify a 140 dollar jump
blink.gif

btw, how did you make a portable amp?

Aug 13, 2004 at 5:24 AM Post #30 of 47
chris,
of course it is a matter of asking the question about the 4P and e5c used without an amp. some people just enjoy the 4P much better...like me. even though they don't have as much bass as the e5c has, i don't need that bass in order to enjoy music. in fact, with most music, i'd prefer to not have it, especially with all the other things that the Ety's do so well with! i know the ipod is the source we're talking about here, but the ipod also isn't the only portable mp3 player out there. i personally think the ipod isn't that great and can't understand what all the fuss is about (i think it lies in the looks of the portable with most people) ?? so just remember that everything you say is IYO (in your opinion), particularly on a board such as this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back