Shure E5c's or the Ety ER4's?
Aug 10, 2004 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

marmul

100+ Head-Fier
OK, here goes. This has probably been debated already but I would like some input. IF money was not a factor which would you buy, the Ety ER$'s or the Shure E5C's? These would be used with an Ipod and most likely go unamped. (might get an amp in the future)

I listen to mainly rock.

Aug 10, 2004 at 2:50 PM Post #2 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by marmul
OK, here goes. This has probably been debated already but I would like some input. IF money was not a factor which would you buy, the Ety ER$'s or the Shure E5C's? These would be used with an Ipod and most likely go unamped. (might get an amp in the future)

I listen to mainly rock.

E5s, especially good for rock music. But E5s are significantly more expensive than Etys - opinion is divided whether they are worth the extra cost. Etys benefit a lot from relatively cheap amps like the Superdual. E5s don't benefit from an amp much until you start spending serious money on an amp. So ampless, the E5 probably makes more sense.

Aug 11, 2004 at 2:20 AM Post #3 of 47
i have both right now, yes, i was shocked for a couple of days after i bought my e5c, could not justify the price.

another reason why i was shocked was because the sound was pretty bad, super muddy, sound not clear. if i recalled it sounded like the sony ex 71. but soon i discovered that these things need break in. after about 24 hours of play the sound was much better.

i am using it straight from my mini ipod, and it drives them great. While the highs don't reach as high as the er4(if you listen to rock, doesn't matter), the bass, midrange definitely beats it. when rage against the machine bassist plucks the mother friggin string i can hear it resonate in my ears

i haven't spent much time hooking it up with my xp7 or superdual, but on the superdual, with the bass boost switched on, the earphones seriously "hits", it was funny, and the sound was not fatiguing either.

if you have the money, i'd get the e5c

p.s. the insertion of earplugs and the memory cable took me half an hour to figure out, but after that it's smooth sailing, more comfortable, and stays in my ear(the driver housing sits in the crease of my ear)

Aug 11, 2004 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 47
simple...listen to rock...e5's.

Aug 11, 2004 at 5:21 AM Post #5 of 47
Although I don't own an iPod (yet
wink.gif
), I have to agreee with penbat, money no object & unamped the E5. This is what I use on my uber portable setup.

Similar experience with chiefroastbeef, however I had to have more burn-in at near 100hrs and experimentation with different ear sleeves (ER4 foamies) before they started to sound really good.

Aug 11, 2004 at 5:31 AM Post #6 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by marmul
These would be used with an Ipod and most likely go unamped. (might get an amp in the future)

I listen to mainly rock.

Go for the E5C as they sound better unamp for rock.
basshead.gif

Aug 11, 2004 at 6:40 AM Post #8 of 47
Perhaps I am a bit biased since I haven't tried the Ety's yet but I would have to recommend the E5's. Thumping bottom and warm mid's are the playgrounds of Rock.

Aug 11, 2004 at 8:45 AM Post #9 of 47
yes, today, because my e5c foams are still drying from their bath, i used the er4p

man... what a difference, the er4ps have NO bass, very bright, only a little more detail compare to the e5cs.

now that i have the e5c(bought them couple days ago), music is even more enjoyable, like the others have said, very warm, awesome bass, everything is just right(atleast for me)

i

Aug 11, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by remilard
Etys, the worst that could happen is you won't believe how good they sound and will accuse them of fabricating false details.
smily_headphones1.gif

remember that he said he listens to ROCK, so the worst that could happen is that he might not hear any bass...

as for the um2's from westone; while i cannot advise against getting these as i have never heard them, it's a much safer bet to go with the e5's. many more people have heard them (myself included, still owning them) and have many good things to say about them. while the westone may be an excellent product, there just isn't enough literature out there to really know if they're for you.

i would advise using ebay, as you will most likely be able to get the best deal on the e5's. (i was able to find the e5c's, metal box and all, for 375, so keep an eye out.)

*just so you know, the e5's and the e5c's are EXACTLY the same headphone, except the e5c's come with a cool metal box and an attenuator, to plug into a high output source (useless for most.) the e5c's generally cost more, but that is the price you pay for being a geek and wanting your headphones to come with a cool brushed aluminum box, as opposed to a plastic box - which the "non c" version comes in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back