Shure E500 v. Ultimate Ears UE-10
Feb 5, 2006 at 11:51 AM Post #286 of 607
Quote:

Originally Posted by imz14u2nv
So,
The bottom line for me is that I have put aside a grand ($1K USD) and if the E500 sound as good or even better then the UE-10 Pro for half the money, I will buy them, if the UE-10 Pro still gets the nod from the folks hear that we trust (the un-biased and not defending something just because a lot of money was invested folks), then I will buy the UE-10 Pro (Even though, I really don’t want custom IEM’s because I don’t want to go through any re-fit issues).

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE and ADORE my UE-10's but I would highly suggest you save your money and get the E500. I think it is definately a much better deal for the money and the sound is amazing - it is warm and tons of fun to listen to.

Feb 5, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #288 of 607
Quote:

Originally Posted by navidf
Sorry if this has been covered already: do um-56s fit E500s?

Not sure, but I would assume that Sensaphonics will make a custom mold for the E500, similar to the ones that they make for the other Shure lines.

Feb 8, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #289 of 607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst
I really think Shure should move the position of the microphone onto the earpieces itself. I run the cables of my IEMs inside my clothing and with the mic on the cable, it'll be muffled. Plus I really don't feel like dangling that giant piece of plastic infront of me for all to see.

Is the mic on the module, or on the wire?

Feb 9, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #291 of 607
Quote:

Originally Posted by ripfrankwhite
Is the mic on the module, or on the wire?

The module is separate from the mic. The mic hangs around the lapel level. The module can be put in a pocket. It is a great little device - I telling you - Long Long overdue. Can't wait to get my hands on it.
icon10.gif

Feb 9, 2006 at 11:14 AM Post #292 of 607
Don't want a mic. Don't want to listen to anyone else while playing tunes. If I want conversation, I take 'em out. Is this mic integrated into the product or optional?

Feb 9, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #293 of 607
Quote:

Originally Posted by vranswer
Don't want a mic. Don't want to listen to anyone else while playing tunes. If I want conversation, I take 'em out. Is this mic integrated into the product or optional?

Optional.

Feb 9, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #294 of 607
Wow I have been lurking for a while and just have to speak. What an excellent thread.

One thing I'd like to say is about the heavily used word 'subjective'. Normally used in the context of "Well you need to listen for yourself" This is a true statement BUT in general people are the same. We are not as unique as we want to think. 'Most' of our ears do pretty much the same thing, same with eyes, etc thats why we have standard hearing tests, eye sight tests, etc. Car manufacturers, pharmaceutical companies, food manufacturers, etc only need to test on a small sample and can be quite certain that the results will hold true for 'nearly' all people (because people and the systems in our bodies are predictable). I work in performance measurement and testing and have to test various hypothesis against a working system and find that in general people preceive 'Quality', performance blah blah in the same way. So where experienced users sample something new and in 'general' the view is it is positive it actually counts for a lot. I think Shure allowing people to use their own equipment is also a big pointer to the confidence they had.

I for one will definately be looking at trialling the e500 and not be looking at getting a custom fit ue10 that performs to around the same standard with twice the price.

Thankyou for all thoses reviews that have given your general first impression. Also, as long as their quality control methods ensure the rest of kit is built to similar standards as you heard, then we will be in for a treat.

My e5c will be up for sale soon after (I hope)...
eggosmile.gif

Feb 9, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #295 of 607
Since some people are raving about the PTH module I just thought I'd let you know that there is something similar already on the market.

Skullcandy LINK

This is actually made for use with a cell phone, but it may work to hear ambient sounds also, I am not sure. Pushing the button will not automatically lower the music volume, this must be done on the module. It is some sort of inline volume control that may have an amp inside of it (bad probably).

I guess this doesn't really offer the same functionality, but actually could be better for some (but not needed for others), and it costs half as much as the PTH (I guess I don't know what the PTH will actually be selling for, hopefully much less than MSRP).

Feb 9, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #296 of 607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nar1117
But think, if they did let return customers upgrade for a discount, the saying "welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet" wouldnt hold as much water. It would be more like, "Welcome to Head-fi, sorta sorry about your wallet for your first purchase..."

the problem lies in the fact that there is no resale value in old pair of custom IEMs. My guess is at least one company or more will offer some type of upgrade route. Even if I do have a pair of UE10s. If say Sens. or Westone were to promise some type of discount for upgrading, I would consider getting a pair of there IEMs as well.

Currently I am sending my UE10s back because left side treble driver is cutting out from time to time.

Feb 9, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #297 of 607
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
the problem lies in the fact that there is no resale value in old pair of custom IEMs. My guess is at least one company or more will offer some type of upgrade route. Even if I do have a pair of UE10s. If say Sens. or Westone were to promise some type of discount for upgrading, I would consider getting a pair of there IEMs as well.

Currently I am sending my UE10s back because left side treble driver is cutting out from time to time.

It seems all the manufacturer's have problems making these IEM's work for more than a year of concerted usage. Almost seems like you should shop by warranty, rather than SQ.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 9, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #298 of 607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst
I really think Shure should move the position of the microphone onto the earpieces itself. I run the cables of my IEMs inside my clothing and with the mic on the cable, it'll be muffled. Plus I really don't feel like dangling that giant piece of plastic infront of me for all to see.

The connecting portion of the PTH isn't very big. It's the module itself that has some size to it, but that would be eithr in a pocket or on your belt.

Feb 9, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #299 of 607
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
It seems all the manufacturer's have problems making these IEM's work for more than a year of concerted usage. Almost seems like you should shop by warranty, rather than SQ.
rolleyes.gif

No I don't really agree with that. I have seen very few threads about people having issues with UE10s. As for other companies I have seen more issue.

As for wearing them.. Well I dropped them. You talk to someone and rest them on the back of your neck/shoulders and they fall off. If you are wearing them every day, sometimes several times a day. I didn't even go into the fact the cord went light blue as well. Not sure if the sweat had anything to do with that. (light Blue color around the part the cord attaches to driver unit.) I have the colorless transparent cord.

I am guessing that is what caused the problem. Even when the custom IEMs pass there warranty date, none of these companies try you to the cleaners for fixing them. No, for the price I paid, I wanted the ones that I thought suited my sonic tastes best. Regardless of warranty. Which if I am not mistaken is a year for most anyways.

And Raisin, if I had it to do over with. I without a doubt, buy the UE-10s again because that were well worth it. They really put my other headphones to shame because I use these 3 times more then all the other headphones combined. Being that I spend so much time at the gym.

Feb 9, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #300 of 607
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
I without a doubt, buy the UE-10s again because that were well worth it. ... But being that I spend so much time at the gym.

Same here except I spend so much time at school and work.
frown.gif

I still think the E500's are a better deal though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back