Shure E500 v. Ultimate Ears UE-10
Feb 9, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #301 of 607
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
Same here except I spend so much time at school and work.
frown.gif

I still think the E500's are a better deal though.

I don't think I'd buy any custom iem again now that a universal model has caught up with custom. I only went custom for sound alone, not comfort.

About a 1 year and half ago when I wanted to move up from Ety ER-4, custom molds were the only option. I'd tried the shure E5 and just didn't like them. I had no problem with fit issue with the etys, so comfort wasn't an issue. When I tried the universal sensa model, I almost wished I could just buy that and do away with the whole custom mold thing. In the end I ended up getting both the sensas and ue10, but that's another story.

I don't plan to buy the shure e500 when it comes out because money's tight but when my ue10 finally dies, it will be replace with a universal model, whatever the best one is at that time.

Feb 9, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #302 of 607
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
Same here except I spend so much time at school and work.
frown.gif

I still think the E500's are a better deal though.

Well if the E500 were out at the time, would have gotten them. I emailed both Shure, Ety, Westone about making high-end universal IEMs. Last year none of them said they were. So there wasn't any options.

I think in May, the E500 sound like a better deal. To bad they weren't out a year ago. Knowing what I know now, I still get the UE10s last year because I couldn't stand the idea of waiting a year with just the Shure e5s, knowing there was something alot better out there. Nice to see the e500 come with a 2 year warranty.

Feb 9, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #303 of 607
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
Well if the E500 were out at the time, would have gotten them. I emailed both Shure, Ety, Westone about making high-end IEMs. Last year none of them said they were. So there wasn't any options.

I think in May, the E500 sound like a better deal. To bad they weren't out a year ago. Knowing what I know now, I still get the UE10s last year because I couldn't stand the idea of waiting a year with just the Shure e5s, knowing there was something alot better out there. Nice to see the e500 come with a 2 year warranty.

I have no regrets getting the custom models at all. A year (or 2 for me) is a long time to wait. In fact, the e500 is not even out yet. I was more worried about sensas or ue coming out with a universal model a few month after I bought them than anything else.

Feb 9, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #305 of 607
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
why is everyone so crazy over the E500? it's not even out yet, who knows, what if it's crap =D But if it's that good, i'll get it...

Because some of us have already heard them and compared them to the ue10. I only got a brief listen but others had an hour or so with them.

I just realized this is the same thread as the reviews. Just start at the beginning.

Feb 10, 2006 at 7:48 AM Post #306 of 607
I can't imagine how much better it can get over the UE5c, but we'll see. I'm not really the type that would jump on something that I haven't personally used. I have read the begining of the thread and know LFF and Jasper personally. I'll just gotta find a pair to listen to before I can speak out my opinion.

Feb 10, 2006 at 8:14 AM Post #307 of 607
Quote:

I can't imagine how much better it can get over the UE5c, but we'll see. I'm not really the type that would jump on something that I haven't personally used. I have read the begining of the thread and know LFF and Jasper personally. I'll just gotta find a pair to listen to before I can speak out my opinion.

Dude you got to believe me! They sound AWESOME!!!!

Feb 10, 2006 at 11:48 AM Post #308 of 607
What about noise-isolation compared to the UE5? The press release mentions 30-37 dB which, based on my limited knowledge, seemed high (I thought such headphones typically offered 18-20).

I'm considering the U5C or the UE5, and noise cancellation is a significant factor.

Feb 10, 2006 at 4:28 PM Post #309 of 607
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajaxx
What about noise-isolation compared to the UE5? The press release mentions 30-37 dB which, based on my limited knowledge, seemed high (I thought such headphones typically offered 18-20).

I'm considering the U5C or the UE5, and noise cancellation is a significant factor.

The noise isolation was quite impressive... Certainly more than I'm getting with the UE-10. I didn't compare it to the E4 though (which, in my case, isolates more than the UE-10).

Feb 10, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #310 of 607
Quote:

You know Ed too...
biggrin.gif

Start saving now, you're in for a very pleasant suprise.
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #311 of 607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
You know Ed too...
biggrin.gif

Start saving now, you're in for a very pleasant suprise.
biggrin.gif

Indeed RX7_FAN - you will be in for quite a surprise. You can't resist the power of the force...I mean the E500!
icon10.gif

Feb 10, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #312 of 607
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
Indeed RX7_FAN - you will be in for quite a surprise. You can't resist the power of the force...I mean the E500!
icon10.gif

Must resist!

Obi-WanForce.jpg

Actually I've already given in I just don't want to wait!

Feb 10, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #313 of 607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
The noise isolation was quite impressive... Certainly more than I'm getting with the UE-10.

Aaron, you might not have a proper fit with your 10's. My first pair was somewhat like you describe... not very effective isolation. The 2nd pair are a MUCH tighter fit, and when I put them in, the world literally goes away. Do you think that might have something to do with your assessment of the 10's vs. the E500's? Just wondering.

Feb 10, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #314 of 607
With custom IEMs though, the whole tip mumbo jumbo is over.

I bought some tips from ebay for my E5s at the end of november, took them month and a half to ship them to me, then they shipped me E2 tips and not E1/E3/E5 ones. Talk about waste of money.

Had to repurchase them from another store, they were quick, but still 20 bucks shipped every now and then is annoying.

Feb 10, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #315 of 607
ahh stop telling me these lies about the E500. I want customs so bad, but if the new e500 sounds better then would I be willing to sacrifice comfort for sq? ahh the thread makes the decision so tuff. I don't know if I can hold out to may though. Might be dropping the UE10 bomb in the next couple of weeks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back